Author Topic: Need good advice: reloading Windows  (Read 2276 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Need good advice: reloading Windows
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 02:55:10 AM »
The perception of texture loads causing stutters is really more about the video card struggling to free up resources so it can accept a texture.

Too many people are running the game at settings which can swamp the video RAM and cause resource issues.

Some time ago a user in another thread reported that his game was stutter free untill he got scared and moved AH off the SSD, after which it started stuttering near new enemies. So at least some users have seen benefit from the SSD as far as stuttering goes. It doesn't necessarily have to be a graphic texture but sound or whatever i/o access that gets better with speed.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 06:07:23 AM »
Some time ago a user in another thread reported that his game was stutter free untill he got scared and moved AH off the SSD, after which it started stuttering near new enemies. So at least some users have seen benefit from the SSD as far as stuttering goes. It doesn't necessarily have to be a graphic texture but sound or whatever i/o access that gets better with speed.

I doubt it actually improved anything due to the move from the hard drive to the SSD.  More of a placebo effect, in all likelihood.  If it did, then something was seriously wrong with the computer and all the move did was mask the real problem.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:09:13 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 09:34:32 AM »
if you overclock, that is the singlemost common problem for bluescreen and bad behaviour.

Do a memtest before you buy anything.

I had to RMA 2 banks of Gskill memories on my old rig.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 07:23:16 AM »
Skuzzy

I have a question regarding the use of an ssd for the game.. I have a 128 gig SSD dedicated just for the game, do you think I will runinto any problems with it. I know you have said things about the rewriting but I am wondering, just having a dedicated SSD would that prove to be a negative??

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
Skuzzy

I have a question regarding the use of an ssd for the game.. I have a 128 gig SSD dedicated just for the game, do you think I will runinto any problems with it. I know you have said things about the rewriting but I am wondering, just having a dedicated SSD would that prove to be a negative??

LawnDart

You may never run into any problems, but there is always potential for issues.  Personally, I see no benefit for it.  Some people claim it helps with "stutters", but if you are seeing stutters, then there are other issues with the system that an SSD might help to mask.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
The problems I listed in this thread were likely due to a faulty (cheap) PSU. Having said that I ran AH on a 128 GB SSD for about 12 months before the problems started to occur.  I bought a new PSU, new SSD, and reloaded Windows to solve my issues.  So issues I was experiencing *could* have been the PSU (likely), a corrupt file(s) or some other software related conflict, or maybe AH running on the same SSD as Windows :old:
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011