Author Topic: Thank God  (Read 2249 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Thank God
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »
He was in the Army only a year before going to A'stan.  He was only in A'stan a month before he walked off.  I have nothing but love for a fellow soldier and I am so glad he is home, but I do hope he regrets that walk.  We are (hopefully) getting out of there soon anyway.  When we leave, it's going to be the same result as VietNam, so I'm glad we are getting our only POW back before then.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
Glad to see we got him home, really brings to light the "no man left behind" saying passed around in our military.

When we leave, it's going to be the same result as VietNam,

I don't want to turn this into something political, but this will be far worse than Vietnam, and that's all I am going to say.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
  Thousands of soldiers who died in battle, to uphold the idea that we dont deal with terrorists,and ONE man returns, and by returning, negates every loss before him.

~AoM~

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »
  Thousands of soldiers who died in battle, to uphold the idea that we dont deal with terrorists,and ONE man returns, and by returning, negates every loss before him.
This thread is heading south faster than I expected. It was a prisoner exchange, not the end of some imaginary winning streak.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 11:35:56 PM »
ya my DIs and ncos here had nothing but bad words about his so called desertion
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 01:27:26 AM »

I disagree.  We soldiers live by, and die by the solemn creed of No Man Left Behind.  I truly believe all of are fallen would want Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to go home.  In my shrapnel filled soul I truly believe that.
Even though I have four daughters to think about, I would not hesitate for a second to give my own life trying to recover another soldier, dead or alive.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 02:03:19 AM »
Bin Bags lot are making deals now?

They are knackered then :)

The US has them by the balls now :rofl

Drones = Vengence from above :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 04:46:48 AM »
Glad the guy is coming home..... he made Sergeant in a year ? :headscratch:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 07:08:25 AM »
Promoted twice while in captivity IIRC.

Don't mean to stir the pot, but I've been on work sites where you can't leave without signing out and passing through a heavy security turnstile, how the hell can a guy just walk off an armed forces base in the middle of a war zone?
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »
Iran count?

That's a nation state.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 07:49:19 AM »
Not negotiating and discussing options and transfer of power with the Taliban and Afghan tribal leaders is what got us into this mess in the first place.

This could be a step forward in negotiating a settlement. Too many Americans, British, Australians and Afghans have died already.

I don't know where you get your information, but what got us "into this mess" was an al-Qaida attack on America that was openly and publically supported by the Taliban, then in control of most of Afghanistan. The UN ruled that Afghanistan was party to the attack, and NATO ruled it constituted an attack on the whole alliance. Thus we invaded Afghanistan to destroy the Taliban.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 07:58:16 AM »
Glad to see we got him home, really brings to light the "no man left behind" saying passed around in our military.

I don't want to turn this into something political, but this will be far worse than Vietnam, and that's all I am going to say.

Debatable.  Very much so.  Mind you, I'm not pulling sides on your statement, but rather playing Devil's Advocate.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 11:34:18 AM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html

:O

If this is correct the guy must have been aware with pretty much concrete certainty that his fellow soldiers would be put in danger and come looking for him. The fact that some became casualties as a result is abhorrent on his part.

Bearing in mind however, he may well have been suffering from some form of psychosis or battle related mental condition that had a part to play in his leaving.

If he had earlier expressed a wish to leave and walk to India then I would also suggest that his oppo's were remiss in not bringing this to the attention of his commanders.

I would be interested to discover his motive, and as other's have stated, why he was not on prime time Al Jazeera :headscratch:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »
edited to stay within forum rules and avoid a rule #14. :lol :lol
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:27:37 PM by -ammo- »
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011