Author Topic: Thank God  (Read 2248 times)

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Re: Thank God
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »
Several sources day he's a deserter, and has nothing nice to say about his country. If this guy is a deserter, should they bring him back to punish him?

Are a gaggle of terrorist pigs worth giving up to punish him?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »
Several sources day he's a deserter, and has nothing nice to say about his country. If this guy is a deserter, should they bring him back to punish him?

Are a gaggle of terrorist pigs worth giving up to punish him?

Won't happen under this administration
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Won't happen under this regime
You're right, Fixed
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
That duffleblog's pretty funny.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
Won't happen under this administration

He'll probably will receive the same punishment Charles Robert Jenkins for deserting to North Korea back in the '60s when he was finally allowed to leave NK and return to the US in 2004.  He got 30 days confinement and a dishonorable discharge.

Bergdahl will forever have to live knowing that he was a coward and his cowardice cost him 5 years of his life and more importantly, the lives of 6 US servicemen and a number of Afghani soldiers looking for him.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
I wonder how he escaped decapitation for 5 years in Afganistan.

He wasn't killed because the Haqqani-Network (the group that captured and held him in captivity) wanted to use him as a bargaining chip. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
Im not thanking God or anybody. If he deserted or consorted with the enemy its a spit in the face for every soldier who died or suffered, of any service of any Allied country, in that place. If this is what happened he deserves the full weight of military justice.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
It will be interesting how it plays out, since he was a deserter who became a POW.  Dishonorable Discharge or huge parade?  In these times it's impossible to know.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2014, 12:13:15 AM »
There is only one penalty for desertion and treason......

DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
I don't know where you get your information, but what got us "into this mess" was an al-Qaida attack on America that was openly and publically supported by the Taliban, then in control of most of Afghanistan. The UN ruled that Afghanistan was party to the attack, and NATO ruled it constituted an attack on the whole alliance. Thus we invaded Afghanistan to destroy the Taliban.

The major problem here is, similar to the invasion of Afghanistan by the USSR. We have propped up an entire government and administration with our own resources. I have almost no doubt that the moment we pull out of Afghanistan the Taliban will return with a vengeance.

The Taliban needed to be removed, there is no doubt there. But a failure to win hearts and minds and operate in conjunction with the locals is fatal to any occupation. No matter how strong the forces in the region are. The Coalition has made all the same mistakes that the USSR did during their war in Afghanistan. The only way to win this sort of war is either through liquidation or "westernization". And we cannot achieve either.

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 01:07:11 AM »
Anyone who has served in the region, from the lowest grunt up to the highest General knows within a week of your tour beginning that it's a waste of time, money and lives.
A regular army loses if it doesn't win, a guerilla army wins if it doesn't lose. In my experience the Afghans are about the most duplicitous, backward people I have ever met. The problem is that the majority appear to be comfortable exactly as they are, and who are we to try and change that?

Terry will be back in charge within two weeks of withdrawal
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 02:19:57 AM »
Anyone who has served in the region, from the lowest grunt up to the highest General knows within a week of your tour beginning that it's a waste of time, money and lives.
A regular army loses if it doesn't win, a guerilla army wins if it doesn't lose. In my experience the Afghans are about the most duplicitous, backward people I have ever met. The problem is that the majority appear to be comfortable exactly as they are, and who are we to try and change that?

If you ask me, we should leave, but keep predators overhead 24/7 and be pretty liberal with the application of ordnance. Talli loses targets they can hit, but still can't poke their noses out anywhere that matters.

If you ask me, I'd call that a defeat for a guerrilla army.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 02:24:16 AM »
They are fighting an ideological religious war. Their reserves of men, equipment and will to fight are infinite.

Ours are not. The longer this goes on, the weaker we will be.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 05:48:25 AM »

Graveyard of Empires...
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB