Author Topic: Killshooter  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Killshooter
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
I'd like to know why we have it. :headscratch:

I'm not making this post out of anger or frustration, just curiosity. :)

:salute

Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Killshooter
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »
I'd like to know why we have it. :headscratch:

I'm not making this post out of anger or frustration, just curiosity. :)

:salute

Snarky answer: Because nobody has come up with a better solution to the problem in a sandbox game.

Detailed answer: All of the other options have catastrophic flaws that make the flaws of killshooter kinda mild in comparison.

1) No damage done to friendlies = greatly changing the mathematics of a one on many fight in (even greater) favor of the numerically superior side because now all the fighters in the conga line can fire without worrying about killing themselves or another friendly.
2) No damage done to friendlies, but shooter's ammo is zeroed = enemy was careless and ought to be down a fighter, but instead only have an unarmed fighter which is something that can still affect the fight as the friendly shooting player's enemy(s) don't know he is toothless.  He can clear sixes still and act as bait.
3) Shootee takes the damage = wild wild west in the sky.  Can never trust a friendly as they may kill you for the heck of it.  Look out for the whines the first time somebody's Me262 is shot down while on final approach by a new player friendly.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
insta-court martial?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:27:39 AM »
Snarky answer: Because nobody has come up with a better solution to the problem in a sandbox game.

Detailed answer: All of the other options have catastrophic flaws that make the flaws of killshooter kinda mild in comparison.

1) No damage done to friendlies = greatly changing the mathematics of a one on many fight in (even greater) favor of the numerically superior side because now all the fighters in the conga line can fire without worrying about killing themselves or another friendly.
2) No damage done to friendlies, but shooter's ammo is zeroed = enemy was careless and ought to be down a fighter, but instead only have an unarmed fighter which is something that can still affect the fight as the friendly shooting player's enemy(s) don't know he is toothless.  He can clear sixes still and act as bait.
3) Shootee takes the damage = wild wild west in the sky.  Can never trust a friendly as they may kill you for the heck of it.  Look out for the whines the first time somebody's Me262 is shot down while on final approach by a new player friendly.

I understand now. I'd rather have the kill shooter than any of these, besides it never really happens to me anyway. :)
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
Killshooter is by far the best soloution for teamkilling in any game. It's brilliantly simple too.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »
I agree it's better than a lot of alternatives.  I've discussed it with squadies a few times though - it really is only lacking (morbidly) when a friendly momentarily dives through a shot you're taking and gave been working to achieve for a while.  If that one shortsightedness can be resolved.... (ie: maybe make the damage you inflict on yourself not cripple you or worse)... It really doesn't deter ganging up on an enemy either...  Hmmm.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
The only thing that prevents me from killing absolutely everyone in the sky is killshooter.  :) :cry

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »
I like killshooter it works great it clear the Friendlys off your 6 that are trying to kill the enemy your trying to kill at your 12 oclock position.  :joystick:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »
The only thing that prevents me from killing absolutely everyone in the sky is killshooter.  :) :cry

This is why we have killshooter.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
Something occurred to me when I damaged my only two guns with killshooter whilst shooting up friendlies in my 202 as I often do. What if instead of destroying the shooter's plane it just destroy destroys the shooter's guns? That way he doesn't die, he just has to rtb for a new plane.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »
What if instead of destroying the shooter's plane it just destroy destroys the shooter's guns? That way he doesn't die, he just has to rtb for a new plane.
Then there is no real incentive to improve your situational awareness.  There are, and imho should be, real consequences to encourage improvement.  If it was off, they guy who was shot wouldn't just lose his guns.  The easiest thing to do is simply not shoot unless it's a good shot.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »
Thank god there's never going to be any real consequences or real incentives. Because it's a video game on the internet!
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
Thank god there's never going to be any real consequences or real incentives. Because it's a video game on the internet!

Yay, mediocrity :banana:.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
Speak for yourself  :rofl
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »
Something occurred to me when I damaged my only two guns with killshooter whilst shooting up friendlies in my 202 as I often do. What if instead of destroying the shooter's plane it just destroy destroys the shooter's guns? That way he doesn't die, he just has to rtb for a new plane.

From the second post in this thread:

If my enemy messes up and has a friendly fire incident I ought to now be facing fewer enemies.  Merely zeroing the ammo/breaking the guns leaves a fighter in play to act as bait or cause me to break off of my target as I have no way of knowing that he is toothless now.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-