Author Topic: Replacement for the Brew  (Read 9123 times)

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Replacement for the Brew
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
My method for handling the brew is to terminate with extreme prejudice.

If some twit has the gall to up one, he's getting a burst of .50's in the cockpit.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »
Was this information posted here or the internet somewhere?  Can't seem to find performance data.  Do you remember where you saw the information?
wmaker has, over the years, posted a lot of it.

As I explained, HTC does not post their info for business reasons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »
I really do think there is a problem with assumptions HTC made that does not linearly apply to the smaller, older, radial engine planes.  The smaller and older the plane the bigger the error.  Has to be in the assumptions associated with the drag coefficient since weight, engine specs I am sure have been checked many times.

Someone had posted HT used his small plane to compare the performance model but that thing is slick as pond scum when compared to planes like a brewster.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Well,

I have to cheese at my own observations  :D  Took the F4F thru the same 20k dive and stress sound pull out maneuver and it flew 30 miles faster before the stress sound engaged when I then reduced throttle and rpms, pulled on yoke and she swung skyward with barely a wink of an eyelash.

Maybe it is the pilot stuff trim, engine speed, amount of pressure on yoke???   Anyhow, Wildcat went to 598, but did shake, at that point I pulled up.

Going back to do some more extreme stuff with the Brew and see what occurs....... (writes letter for wife...just in case, it's in my upper jacket flap pocket).

{edited after second flight comparison}
I played chicken with the sea (not to be confused by Charlie), from 20k in Brewster this time 20 mph faster than before at 585 mph and observed the same shakey behavior as Wildcat, all else was the same except this time I did have significant blackout when pulling up. 

I have to conclude that my assumption of the stress sound indicating redline performance for the plane seems to be distorted (not accurate in film viewer) therefore I do believe that the person (virtually) flying the plane and knowing its limitations does add to variations.  However 15 mph more would most likely involve some good trim management, correct fuel load, altitude start and angle of decent (not saying impossible). 

It is just that the most amazing things that I have perceived about the Brewster have been more in line with its handling.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:25:00 PM by Chilli »

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
The wildcat is a different story, the thing is built like a tank but it shouldn't do this.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2014, 07:44:08 PM »
I have no idea if the Brewster is modeled correctly or not. All I know is that it doesn't even seem close to an F2A-3 Buffalo, and I want something more appropriate for early war Pacific scenarios.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
The wildcat is a different story, the thing is built like a tank but it shouldn't do this.

You can post your Wildcat documents along with the film that supports your Brewster assertions.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
I did not lie, in a 20k dive on 25% fuel it will reach 597 mph for almost a minuet before it took any damage. With full fuel, it could get over 600 easly and sustain no damage, as I took the damage pulling out of the dive too hard. Now skuzzy, may I ask you to lock this thread, it has degraded too far at this point... The personal attacks and all...

How did you reach 20K on 25% fuel?  I just tried it.  At best climb, the Brewster has about 10 minutes of flight time with 25% fuel.  You would have to average 2000FPM climb, which the Brewster cannot do once it reaches about 18,000 feet the climb rate drops like a rock.

I made nearly 19K feet before fuel was exhausted.  Best true speed, in a vertical dive, reached 540MPH with the engine dead from no more fuel.  I did not try to pull out of the dive.

If you are not using the default arena settings, then all of this is a moot point.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
How did you reach 20K on 25% fuel?  I just tried it.  At best climb, the Brewster has about 10 minutes of flight time with 25% fuel.  You would have to average 2000FPM climb, which the Brewster cannot do once it reaches about 18,000 feet the climb rate drops like a rock.

I made nearly 19K feet before fuel was exhausted.  Best true speed, in a vertical dive, reached 540MPH with the engine dead from no more fuel.  I did not try to pull out of the dive.

If you are not using the default arena settings, then all of this is a moot point.
I can't speak to coalcat, but when I am testing performance I set fuel burn as low as it will go so that weight is consistent through the tests.  IIRC that is something like 0.01% or 0.001% fuel burn.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
I can't speak to coalcat, but when I am testing performance I set fuel burn as low as it will go so that weight is consistent through the tests.  IIRC that is something like 0.01% or 0.001% fuel burn.

This is pretty much standard when conducting performance tests.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
My only complaint on the Brewster is that it can fight on like a Duracell rabbit, even when stitched full of 20mm's, when it should burn like a Zeke (also a small plane).

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
Well, taking it to 25,000 feet with 50% fuel did not yield much.  In a steady state -1G dive, the best speed I could reach was about 370MPH true +/-2.

In a full vertical drop, the plane would trim itself before reaching 510MPH +/-5 and even if I rolled it over and tried to continue, the pilot would black out.

The only way I could get passed 525MPH was to shut off the engine and go vertical.

I'll test from 25,000 feet to see what speed can be attained with the engine shut off.

What I am trying to do is verify the plane can actually reach 600MPH.  From there, we can dig into the documentation and structure of the plane.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
How did you reach 20K on 25% fuel?  I just tried it.  At best climb, the Brewster has about 10 minutes of flight time with 25% fuel.  You would have to average 2000FPM climb, which the Brewster cannot do once it reaches about 18,000 feet the climb rate drops like a rock.

I made nearly 19K feet before fuel was exhausted.  Best true speed, in a vertical dive, reached 540MPH with the engine dead from no more fuel.  I did not try to pull out of the dive.

I was in the DA at the high alt bases, got a 15k start. I am now done posting on this thread.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
I was in the DA at the high alt bases, got a 15k start. I am now done posting on this thread.

Thank you.  Just trying to figure out how to get this plane to 600MPH, as I have not been able to get close to that yet.

What trim settings?  Default?  Combat trim off or on?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
Skuzzy the TA terrain will let you airspawn at 20k or 30k and save some time. You will have less drag at 0g than at -1g.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:06:40 PM by FLS »