Author Topic: Replacement for the Brew  (Read 9034 times)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Replacement for the Brew
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »

If there were any truth to that, it would be much more popular and effective.

I didn't say it was the best. I said "beast" and the "easiest". The fact that it is not used all that much has more to do with the fact it can't run away. For most folks in the MA, speed is everything.  The brew is not fast unless it has some alt to trade for the speed. It holds E extremely well, turning with it is effortless and takes very little (if any)  thought or planning.

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2014, 06:49:17 AM »
I didn't say it was the best. I said "beast" and the "easiest". The fact that it is not used all that much has more to do with the fact it can't run away. For most folks in the MA, speed is everything.  The brew is not fast unless it has some alt to trade for the speed. It holds E extremely well, turning with it is effortless and takes very little (if any)  thought or planning.

JUGgler
Actually it does not hold E very well at all being one of the lightest planes in the game. See Karnak's test. In fact I don't know if there are any fighters in the game that decelerate faster than the brewster. The average fighter in the skies of the MA weighs twice as much as the b239 so obviously they're going to hold on to their momentum longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only fighters that are lighter than the b239 are the oscar and the I16.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:11:42 AM by FLOOB »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2014, 01:50:38 PM »
Last night a brewster killed me with what seemed to be turbo-lasers. and then transformed  into a tie-fighter....I dont have the film but i think it needs to be nerfed. Also, it could of been a dream :neener:

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #243 on: June 26, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
Last night a brewster killed me with what seemed to be turbo-lasers. and then transformed  into a tie-fighter....I dont have the film but i think it needs to be nerfed. Also, it could of been a dream :neener:

Picture taken during recent DA canyon fight hosted by "The Rowdy Ones".....the plane in the middle is Rowdy1 himself...or maybe it's Zero7?
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #244 on: June 26, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
Why don't we just wish for a new evil ankle biting fighter to complain about like the Boomerang. Guns setup like the spit9, slow as the Brew, and turns worse then the Brew or A6m. The hizookas and thousands of 303 will have everyone in here whining about being bottom picked by back shooters at 400-600. And who knows, maybe it will have magical dive capabilities and speed retention.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2014, 06:26:31 PM »
Wedge Hoed the tie fighter :(

See Rule #4

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:29 PM »
Why don't we just wish for a new evil ankle biting fighter to complain about like the Boomerang. Guns setup like the spit9, slow as the Brew, and turns worse then the Brew or A6m. The hizookas and thousands of 303 will have everyone in here whining about being bottom picked by back shooters at 400-600. And who knows, maybe it will have magical dive capabilities and speed retention.

I think the Beau will also fill this bill, given its low top speed, low wing loading, and MAMMOTH ( beh-heh-heh-he-haw) firepower. The schvugs will kvetch over that one.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »
I predict the beau will be knocked down in large numbers.

Looks to be a highly inferior mosquito.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »
we need the Uhu
See Rule #4

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #249 on: June 27, 2014, 05:06:31 AM »
I predict the beau will be knocked down in large numbers.

Looks to be a highly inferior mosquito.
That is 100% irrelevant to whether it should be added or not.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
That is 100% irrelevant to whether it should be added or not.

Nobody said it was. PJGodzilla said it would be an ankle biter the likes of the Brew, I predict otherwise.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »
Nobody said it was. PJGodzilla said it would be an ankle biter the likes of the Brew, I predict otherwise.

I'll give you my rationale:

Compare the power loading and wing loading of the Beau, whose weight ranges from about 15k to 25k for 503 sf of wing and 3200 hp, to the Seafire.

Now compare the firepower of the two.

Admittedly, there are potential missteps that could've damned the Beau's solid bones. For example, if the structural limits or control authorities are too low to withstand or generate the kind of g-loads dictated by the wingloading's promise of turn performance, you're limited by something other than the basic turn performance function. Likewise, if the power is insufficient to overcome the high induced drag generated at something like CLMax, you'll also be at suboptimal performance, turn-wise (and you could reverse the foregoing rationale for the case of stall-limited turn perf).

And your rationale for saying it'll suck is... what, exactly? I'll give you one right up front: this is a different kind of bird from most twins and most pilots will initially misuse it. Another reason: loaded, it'll be more like a bomber. But, empty...? It'll be more like a lightweighted A-20. No idea how well it takes damage... and it'll be a bigger target for the BnZs of the world.

Remember, I don't believe in magic. Knowledge is knowable, things can be understood and if they are understood well enough, they can even be used for predictive purposes. So tell me on what you base your prediction.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »
I'm expecting rather poor roll response due to sheer size and related inertial problems, that top speed is only 320mph from it's 2800hp also indicates a rather high drag coefficient, meaning it will zoom poorly, accelerate poorly, lose speed perhaps even faster than the brew, and add in induced drag from the turn, it will bleed E like a dump truck. Also of note, it's out climbed by the G4M.

Assuming combat weight of 20,000 lbs, wing loading is 39.76lbs/sqft, compared to the Me 410's atrocious 60.82 at max takeoff weight, and the Ki-43's excellent 27.99 at max takeoff weight. At typical weights, the Ki-43 has a wing loading of around 23lbs/sqft. In other words, the Beaufighter is right about in the middle of the spectrum. For comparison, a K4 with drop tank only has a wing loading of around 46.7lbs/sqft.

Don't get me wrong, it might be a moderately successful BnZer with that gun package (for a pass or two any way, with only 60rpg), but it's no hidden gem.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:53:26 PM by TheCrazyOrange »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, it might be a moderately successful BnZer with that gun package (for a pass or two any way, with only 60rpg), but it's no hidden gem.
Only the early ones had 60rpg.  Once they switched to Hispano IIs it was 250 or 300rpg as I recall. 
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
Whats wrong with the Boomerang to join the ankle biter ranks? It fits in perfectly with them.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.