Author Topic: why are friendlies attacking frindlies in clear skies???:?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
why are friendlies attacking frindlies in clear skies???:?
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »
   :frown:INCIDENT:    we have on film a pilot ,call sign RATSY  who shot down a friendly in clear skies(no smoke or fire or clouds) :aok  with no enemy aircraft in the area. :headscratch:   he dove on the friendly,shot him down and flew away.  :huh and yet  he  and his squad have this as credit of a kill.   i can see if there was a dogfight going on,and many planes flying and shooting....it happens.    but this was totaly uncalled for. and something should be done about it. :(

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
Re: why are friendlies attacking frindlies in clear skies???:?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
Unfortunately the Axis Ace was shot down by a friendly this frame. The Axis Ace was on a bandits tail and a friendly decided to be the fifth man on the pile. It happens I guess....but still not very cool  :cry

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
As the CO of Ratsy's squad, I must say he was shocked that he did it and very apologetic and I believe he apologized on range after the incident. But he can confirm that. Ratsy is a good and respectful pilot and this was 100% an unfortunate accident. As the squad CO, I must apologize for his actions. The only thing I can say is that he was very upset and confounded that he did it and that it was evident to me that it was an accident.

I'm sure he will be along shortly to formally apologize.

As far as getting credit for a kill, that's just how the Ahevents logs record the shoot down. He will not be credited for a kill in the frame scores or final scores.

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
T2MAW (and other offended pilots)-

I have flown FSO pretty much consistently since 2008.  Last night I was involved in something that has never happened before and I hope never happens again.  I don't have any excuses.  I screwed up.  I misidentified a friendly and executed an attack.  I was not looking at his icon as I dove...I was thinking two things "sight picture" and "when is this guy going to break?".

Your film should show hits on the left wing which holed a fuel tank.  I didn't see his 'meatballs' until after I had fired.   I immediately apologized on range VOX.  The last time I saw the offended aircraft, he was on final for A41.

Once I saw that he would make it, I PM'd my CO and explained what I'd done.

I wait all week for FSO.  I know how bad I'd feel if some "idiot" wrecked my frame.  Last night was ruined for both of us.  I have no way to explain how I could confuse a friendly icon for a red one.  It's never happened before.

So I am apologizing publicly for my error.  It won't happen again.

:salute

Ratsy

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »
Classy that you manned up Ratsy.   Speaks a lot to your character. 

AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Alpha81

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »
Classy that you manned up Ratsy.   Speaks a lot to your character. 

:aok
"it's a fire mister, and every fire is dangerous"

Offline pops57

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
Stuff happens Ratsy-- nice step up on the apology!  :aok

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 05:09:11 PM »

he dove on the friendly,shot him down and flew away.

T2Maw did make it, he landed and rearmed. He was involved in action later in the frame and crashed according to the logs and an assist was awarded to Wrngway. He was not shot down as indicated in the OP. Still an unfortunate accident and enough damaged was doled out to be awarded the kill, none the less apologies were given and we can hopefully understand and move on.

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
It happens.  That's combat.  I've seen it happen squaddie vs. squaddie a couple times. :(.......... :lol :lol

Just a game guys, just a game. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
T2MAW (and other offended pilots)-

I have flown FSO pretty much consistently since 2008.  Last night I was involved in something that has never happened before and I hope never happens again.  I don't have any excuses.  I screwed up.  I misidentified a friendly and executed an attack.  I was not looking at his icon as I dove...I was thinking two things "sight picture" and "when is this guy going to break?".

Your film should show hits on the left wing which holed a fuel tank.  I didn't see his 'meatballs' until after I had fired.   I immediately apologized on range VOX.  The last time I saw the offended aircraft, he was on final for A41.

I wait all week for FSO.  I know how bad I'd feel if some "idiot" wrecked my frame.  Last night was ruined for both of us.  I have no way to explain how I could confuse a friendly icon for a red one.  It's never happened before.

So I am apologizing publicly for my error.  It won't happen again

Ratsy

:salute Ratsy, I was in the area and seen what happened. Hats off to you for manning up to it. Thats what a real man does. Definitely have respect from me thats for sure :salute :old: :cheers:
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »
I was in fso last year where our squad was in bombers along with other squad.  we were flying really close and I mean close.  we got jumped by about a zillion fighters and we ended up with most of the bombers getting shot down by friendly fire.  for the record all the friendlies  i shot down were collaborators :).

ratsy made a mistake, he apologized and that's that  :salute.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
Or..................... Maybe Ratsy knew something that the rest of you didn't know about T2Maw??????????????????   :noid I believe the word collaborators was used below by my esteemed colleague guncrasher from the great state of cartoon pilot land.  And besides if Ratsy shots down a ACE by the rules you still get the 20 points.  The rules don't specify which sides ACE you have to shot down!!!   :rofl  So next time let your ACE shot down a few enemy AC and then flame him on the way in and get double points!!  LOL

All kidding aside - this does happen from time to time.  But it is few and far between when a pilot stands up and takes responsibility.  BIG <S> Ratsy.

FYI - In the 325th we call this "Gett'in Bluberried" you figure it out LOL

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
ratsy must have had it in his brain that he was allies...... tough break ratsy. stuff happens.
<S> to you!! its all good!!

Offline viking73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
Except for an accidental shot while in formation in my 14 yrs I've never seen this. As the victim in the incident I'd have to say that it was very strange. We had just finished a dogfight and was returning to the cv. There were no enemy or dogfights in our vicinity. At first when I got hit I thought I had not been paying enough attention and got sapped by a high bogie. I was even more perplexed when it turned out to be a friendly. Yes, Ratsy did immediately apologize. :aok Did you have icons on Ratsy?

It made for an interesting night. Being interm CO I had to pass command to another and go land. I lost my right elevator, right fuel tank and had rudder damage that kept forcing me to the left. Since I was using full fuel and tail surfaces were still intact, I re-upped, with some difficulty. Once in the air, surprisingly it didn't hamper my flying too much. Must've been my night cause after going to CV4 I was about to kill a spit when I lost my left wing to one of the few other spits. Surprised it showed you with the kill. Still came out with a kill and an assist.  It could've been worse. (just ask Ace8)

In the past so stay aggressive and get some in frame 3.   :salute

I'll just have to remember to stay behind you.  :D
T2Maw
80th FS {OM-KNIGHTS} Kommando Nowotny {FSO}/{CCS}
S.A.P.P.
Air Warrior 1996, Aces High 2000
Skin Designer

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »
Tshark of the LCA was the Axis ace this frame. He was gunned down with three kills by a friendly. It sucks because he was on a pretty good run.

Any explaination one that one?

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC