Author Topic: Installing a sound pack?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Installing a sound pack?
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:25:33 AM »
 :airplane: Yes, I am a computer "dummy"! would someone PM me with step by step instructions on how to get the Mitsu sound pack install in my game! I have it downloaded, but don't know how to put it into use! Thanks  :salute
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:12:52 AM by Skuzzy »
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: !
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:27:14 AM »
 :airplane: Would someone please PM me the step by step instructions on how to get the Mitsu sound pack into the game! I have it downloaded, just don't know how to install it.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »
If I recall correctly the Mitsu sound pack has instructions on how to install it. You should probably start by reading the instructions.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
Earl rename your current sounds file to "sounds-2", make a new file names "sounds" and then download Mitzus sounds to the sounds file. The game automatically reads the sounds from the "sounds" file.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
Earl rename your current sounds file to "sounds-2", make a new file names "sounds" and then download Mitzus sounds to the sounds file. The game automatically reads the sounds from the "sounds" file.

Uh, that's not how you do it. First of all 'sounds' is a folder not a file. Second Mitsus sound pack doesn't have all the sounds. You take a backup of the original sounds folder and then copy Mitsus files on top of the original one.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
Uh, that's not how you do it. First of all 'sounds' is a folder not a file. Second Mitsus sound pack doesn't have all the sounds. You take a backup of the original sounds folder and then copy Mitsus files on top of the original one.

then why didnt you just offer this advise first instead of being hard headed?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:00:46 AM »
then why didnt you just offer this advise first instead of being hard headed?

semp

Because more detailed instructions are found in the sound pack, duh.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 12:09:33 AM »
Because more detailed instructions are found in the sound pack, duh.

directions to where in the sound pack would be a bit of a help dont you think?

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 12:11:24 AM »
directions to where in the sound pack would be a bit of a help dont you think?

semp

IIRC the instructions are found as the first thing when you click the sound pack open. At least thats how it was when I last used Mitsus pack.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »

Gosh did I call a file a folder? Or a folder a file? I guess nobody is able to figure out the difference, which is none since there is only one file/folder named sounds. And if he mixes Mitsus sounds with the sounds he already has in the sounds folder he's going to get a lot of "copy" messages which is going to confuse him.

BTW which sounds are missing with Mitsus cause I never had a problem doing it this way.

Next time just answer the question. Nobody is asking how to do a heart transplant.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
Gosh did I call a file a folder? Or a folder a file? I guess nobody is able to figure out the difference, which is none since there is only one file/folder named sounds. And if he mixes Mitsus sounds with the sounds he already has in the sounds folder he's going to get a lot of "copy" messages which is going to confuse him.

BTW which sounds are missing with Mitsus cause I never had a problem doing it this way.

Next time just answer the question. Nobody is asking how to do a heart transplant.

He won't have a lot of copy messages, just one to which he answers 'perform the same action to all the 230 events' :)

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
Mitsus instructions are no longer there. Simply do as Rich stated.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Installing a sound pack?
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
@MrRipley: IIRC there isn't a "sounds" folder in the original setup, the original sounds are built-in in the game. Thus there'd be no need to save any old sounds - unless of course they're from another pack.

@Rich: There's a huge difference between a folder and a file. If you don't know the difference, it doesn't mean "nobody is able to figure out the difference". You wouldn't call a book a page or vice versa either, would you?

As Skuzzy has warned, removing the sounds(.res) file when installing a sounds folder will cause issues. There's a check box in Windows' folder settings for "don't show file extensions" and with it checked replacing one "sounds" with another while not knowing the difference of a file and a folder the results will be undesired.

@Earl: Mitsu's sound pack is a zipped folder. Simply unpacking the zip will result a folder named "Sounds" which can be put directly into the C:\HitechCreations\AcesHigh folder. In case there already exists a folder with that name, you should get a warning about the old one being replaced by the new one. Of course you can check it beforehand: The folder looks like a folded yellow cardboard, the file icon looks more "generic" or "technical".
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »
@Rich: There's a huge difference between a folder and a file. If you don't know the difference, it doesn't mean "nobody is able to figure out the difference". You wouldn't call a book a page or vice versa either, would you?

Thanks for sorting me out. I simply had no idea.

Anyway I called Earl on the phone and walked him thru it. He now has the sounds he wants and thanks to the forum has been educated in semantics as well. :huh

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »
bizman I'm pretty sure there's a sound folder on the original installation but it's empty.

semp