Author Topic: Advertising on SimHQ  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Advertising on SimHQ
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
That being said, the P38 pilots have complained about the time it took for them to configure their plane for combat if they got bounced. In some cases it was long enough to get them killed. Compare that to the automatic function of a FW190 and all of the sudden the butcher bird starts to get real life advantages that are never visible in this game.

That comes from Col Rau's letter to Widewing (8th AF Fighter Headquarters code name). Rau was referring to nuggets (noobs) who had little previous training in the Lightning. P-38 groups frequently carried their drop tanks as far as possible to maximize their range. Sometimes, they carried them too deep. Thus, when encountering enemy fighters, they are still set up for most economical cruise. This was also recognized as a command issue.

In Aces High, we have just two systems to manage; fuel and weapons. We are always in auto-rich, and we don't have physically select fuel tanks unless we elect to. We can be ready for combat in a few seconds. Guns are always hot and gunsights are always on. P-38s, P-47s and P-51s all have less complex boost control systems. Turbochargers don't have a high and low blower setting. Likewise, the P-51's system was completely automatic. Even for fighters with blower selection levers, it takes but a second to shift blower, if needed. As I said, once the airplane is configured for combat, it's usually just stick, rudder and throttle that requires manipulation.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:48:46 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »
My comments concerning not showing respect to others simulations was not directed to you, but rather Changeup in response to his post on the Simhq forum. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I was making a point to the poster after he disrespected an AH poster with sarcasm.  I can see you were doing the same thing to me.  That makes you?....
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
Years ago if our forum members had kept a presence at SimHQ, we may well have gotten invited to never come back. Since the recent Hitech and Skuzzy crack down, our tone in our own forums is over night bipolar. It's nice in a strange way with everyone watching their manners.

Is the SimHQ forum a place where you simply setup shop to talk about your Sim in it's best light? Or does a rep from HTC have to reach out to them and establish a relationship? That current post is a little tense at points but, no jugulars have been ripped and you can tell the hardcore AH community members are hardcore loyal partisans. Still we will not be winning any hearts and minds if responses always have a veiled end game of, diss my game and we will prove it in the air. That tends to make us look like Neanderthals, even if our average player can wipe the arena with them. I doubt other sim communities use aggressive attitudes and challenges at the drop of a hat like we do to compliment each other.

When our next game version is released, how much positive service can we do ourselves by posting at SimHQ. If we can keep from roasting their community with our aggressive caustic form of camaraderie?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »
That tends to make us look like Neanderthals...

We're not Neanderthals? :confused:

But when Hitech implements new graphics I was going to post an invitation on SimHQ to check them out.  Here is my draft:

Yo doods, listen up! We got new graphics at Aces High.
You better check them out or I'll kick your arse! :mad:
If you think another game has better graphics we'll have a dogfight to decide...:furious

Surely an intellectual approach will win them over :headscratch:

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
When our next game version is released, how much positive service can we do ourselves by posting at SimHQ. If we can keep from roasting their community with our aggressive caustic form of camaraderie?

That's a point well said, however it exists in a world we don't live in here.

I said it 15 years ago when I first wrote about AH in the Simhq type community, and have continued to say it with recent posts here and at SimHQ - it takes a different sort of person and client to appreciate this sort of game.  Many people don't like a competitive environment, for the very reason that it attracts that certain type of person.  I'm not saying everyone in AH is that type of person, but it does attract that competitive and sometimes almost antisocial type of player, where as that type of person isn't really satisfied with the single player, or limited small number multiplayer environment that is catered to with the IL2/DCS/F4 type games that most SimHQ players prefer. 

People enjoy being comfortable in their niche, something that will get dumped on its head when you join the AH community, as there is always somebody better, and is the case for newcomers, very often somebody better. 

IMO this sort of aggressive, competitive environment shows its colors on the bbs systems.  SimHQ folks are NOT used to the type of community interaction there is here.  Don't get me wrong, in their off topic area at the bottom of their BBS, they have their own problem children, and Rick.50cal, one of the long time mods there, I've known since the 90's from combatsim and Simhq, a fellow Canadian.  I'm sure his story is similar to Skuzzy's, although in a much, much smaller book.

I guess a good example I can use to describe this is other games.  Falcon 4, DCS, all the piles of other games and helo sims over the years have had their own little communities, but they've always gotten along reasonably well over at SimHQ in their bbs sytem.  AH, WB, AW, games such as these have tighter and more vocal communities, and have never, ever, had a "second home" so to speak over there.  I know  many would think it's a perfect place for AH to pick up new customers, but as I've said, it really isn't, I'm sure HT would agree too - the majority of the gamers there just aren't the type of person who thrives, or even enjoys the type of competitive environment that exists here, and few if any other places so far as online sim games go.  I'm sure a review there of the new version wouldn't hurt, but it certainly isn't going to add hundreds, or even dozens, or even A dozen (imo) new customers to the ranks here.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2014, 12:12:28 AM »
Many people don't like a competitive environment

I think this is very true, and key.

- oldman

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
Gman,
Presence at simHQ is not so much for converting hard core simmers, as it is for attracting new players that are looking for a new game/Sim.

It worked on me back in 2001.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2014, 02:34:59 AM »
I think plastering Youtube with player-made commercials highlighting all different parts of the game (instead of an individual's ride, kills, squad, etc.) would be of great benefit to helping draw players.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2014, 04:47:04 AM »
I think the owners of AH know what they are doing :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2014, 06:00:08 AM »
In your case Bozon an article or advertising on a general "simulation" site worked to bring in a customer here, but overall, for the reasons I gave and many others, the juice isn't worth the squeeze, as the number of "new" players are vastly outnumbered by the hard core non MMO simmers there.   As Zack123456678 said, HT has their own policy they believe works, and since there hasn't been any advertising on SimHQ or other similar "sim" sites from HTC in a long time, they obviously agree, at least to some extent.

As USRanger and others allude to, there are other ways, far more effective ways in terms of cost and effort, to advertise for HTC.  IMO some reviews and articles COULD gain some traction of they were placed in areas where the huge, huge numbers of War Thunder players would see them - and position AH as a more realistic and competitive alternative to the pew pew pew first person shooter with wings type game they are currently playing.  Just my opinion regarding that, and like I said, so far as paid or focused advertising, there are better places to race those horses (TV etc).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:05:08 AM by Gman »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 07:50:29 AM »
If there was a photo of me on AH advert lots of chicks would play thr game
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
I still think of Aces was added to Steam they would probably get a nice boost in players. Problem with world of planes is its both advertised on facebook and Steam, they have a pretty large community as it is. I doubt HTC wants to attempt anything with steam, but I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into
having Aces added to the Steam "Simulator" section when the new graphics are out, it could end up going both ways.
Not sure how the business aspect of it goes, I'm sure there is a reason HTC hasn't jumped to steam, the only reason I say is because only way I find out about new games is through facebook/steam anymore, call me a lemming/sheep, but I just don't even have time to read up all day on new sims etc.

As of right now only places I look for games are MatrixGames and Steam, recently I just found an advertisement for "TheHunter" on facebook and tried it out; they made a huge mistake of putting "Free to play" on steam, however the game is Pay to play. It got a nasty backlash, but it also did get some new subscribers (I think if they would of went to simulation instead, they would of been fine).

Just giving my 2 cents, I found Aces by the Sim's post years and years ago, I was wondering why at the time there were no forums or comments about the game, I just recently quit playing Falcon 4.0 and Advance Tactical Fighter, was looking for something new. Sims had a good write up about Aces and that caught my eye.
Pretty sure that article is still posted somewhere on the website, want a trip back in time they have some photos of the early Aces High graphics, horrid compared to what we have now.
JG 52

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
In your case Bozon an article or advertising on a general "simulation" site worked to bring in a customer here, but overall, for the reasons I gave and many others, the juice isn't worth the squeeze, as the number of "new" players are vastly outnumbered by the hard core non MMO simmers there.   As Zack123456678 said, HT has their own policy they believe works, and since there hasn't been any advertising on SimHQ or other similar "sim" sites from HTC in a long time, they obviously agree, at least to some extent.

As USRanger and others allude to, there are other ways, far more effective ways in terms of cost and effort, to advertise for HTC.  IMO some reviews and articles COULD gain some traction of they were placed in areas where the huge, huge numbers of War Thunder players would see them - and position AH as a more realistic and competitive alternative to the pew pew pew first person shooter with wings type game they are currently playing.  Just my opinion regarding that, and like I said, so far as paid or focused advertising, there are better places to race those horses (TV etc).
I was not refering to simHQ specifically. My point is that if I was looking for a combat sim TODAY, chances are that I will not even know about the existence of AH. Outside of US this game is largely unheard off, even among sim and history enthusiasts. The few that heard about it, know very little details and most of them never tried it. To reach a global crowd, internet presence is the only way, in websites visited by these crowds. Proper advertising costs money. Articles and forums are free (unless you have to bribe someone to get the article online). I dont understand how other games get a news item every silly patch they make, while AH isn't mentioned when they release a new plane? I hope at least the new terrain engine will make some noise over the net.

The simHQ article that got me here was not even about AH. It was about some combat fundamentals and used screen shots from AH. I then went to AH website to check this game I never heard of before. "2 free weeks, no credit card? sure I'll give it a shot", and that was 13 years ago. That's it, mundane screenshots in some irrelevant article that cost HTC $0 brought me here. I am sure I am not the only one. People need to know it exists (and some people that live outside of the US).
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:43 PM »
Aces High is that exclusive gentelmen club of which only the hep are aware of.

Not so much anymore since HTC reduced the fee by half.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »
I still think of Aces was added to Steam they would probably get a nice boost in players. Problem with world of planes is its both advertised on facebook and Steam, they have a pretty large community as it is. I doubt HTC wants to attempt anything with steam, but I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into

I don't blame HTC for not going on Steam, they probably figure giving Steam 30% of each financial transaction wasn't worth it. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song