Author Topic: headphones  (Read 2762 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: headphones
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 01:51:08 AM »
think I am gonna order this one withing the next two weeks.  reviews arent that great on the mike itself but I am tired of holding up my old headset with tape.   if i was using redtape the goverment would have sure investigated me by now :).

semp

I will wait until you have have given them a proper testing :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 02:31:10 AM »
I will wait until you have have given them a proper testing :)

you got the money, you pay the euros :).

semp

gonna get them anyway.  just waiting for when I get a day off so i can pick them up at newegg.  I am by myself now so no one here to receive packages as I live in an apartment.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »
We still use pounds in GB :old:

I am going to get some on saturday :)

I cannot live on my own i would starve :old:

The GFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
We still use pounds in GB :old:

I am going to get some on saturday :)

I cannot live on my own i would starve :old:

there's about 10 food places and 3 liquor stores within a block or two from my house. .  I'm never hungry or thirsty :).

semp

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »
Awesome :)

The GFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »
Without head tracking headphones can never produce a truly believable sound stage. The brain needs slight head movements to interpret the directions of the sounds due to the time misalignment of your ears. That's why the sound is located inside your head while using headphones even though in a sense your ears get fed the same sound as from a surround system.

The most problematic of all sounds (when using headphones) is sound eminating directly in front of you.

you mean 7.1 or 5.1 is best used with trakir?  however I do agree that sounds coming from in front of you dont sound right.  then again those are from airplanes I can see.

more than once I have been saved because with m 5.1 system I can tell that an airplane was coming in fast behind me while chasing another airplane.  or heard the plane moving behind me from right or left clearly.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 11:53:05 PM »
you mean 7.1 or 5.1 is best used with trakir?  however I do agree that sounds coming from in front of you dont sound right.  then again those are from airplanes I can see.

more than once I have been saved because with m 5.1 system I can tell that an airplane was coming in fast behind me while chasing another airplane.  or heard the plane moving behind me from right or left clearly.

semp

Does TrackIR bind your sound information to your head movements? If so, yes it can have a small effect. But because TrackIR needs to have scaling (the monitor doesn't move with your head) your brain will realize that the sound is 'dislocated' from your head movements and the illusion breaks again. The human ear (brain) is used to having a bit distorted sound when sound arrives to your ears. This is because the same sound arrives a fraction of a second later to your second ear usually. So the brain does all sorts of fancy stuff to 'fix' the sound before you actually hear it. One of those 'fancy' tricks is that your brain will try to use the time differential and phase changes (some of which happen when the sound hits your ear lobes) in the sounds to determine the location of the sound. Because we have only two ears, in some cases the sound source can be hard to pinpoint by just listening statically. That's why every person subconciously moves their head around while they hear sound. The movements are miniscule but they're enough to cue your brain about the direction of the sound.

When you listen with headphones, those miniscule head movements do not correlate with the sound received and also the phase etc. information doesn't match. That's why your brain will reject the cues and the audio appears to play inside your head.

When you listen to stereo speakers that produce audio very accurately, the illusion works because the head movement correctly matches with the sound source. With multi channel it becomes all that more convincing - even though the overall summed sound is basically the same that plays out from the headphones. Funnily enough if you have a good enough speaker, you can 'sense' space in sound even with just a mono channel!

The system is very high tuned so the head tracking has to be pretty much instantaneous and the phase effects added to the sound just exactly right. That's why also 'headspeaker' DSP has multiple different settings for different types of people, you can try which setting comes closest to your own anatomy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:59:29 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 12:05:55 AM »
but the wonderful thing about the human brain is that it adapts easily.  I can turn my head and hear which directions the airplanes are coming only exception is from the front as you have already explained.  not sure why.

the effect is clear when you are flying with a friendly and he gets behind you and moves around or he's on your left or right.  but sound doesnt really sound right when it's in front of you.

many times I have saved myself in a furball because I can clearly hear an engine coming from a certain direction or as he's firing.  well if he's firing I normally talk on vox saying I am dead before my airplane falls apart, but at least I heard him and could tell the direction first based on engine.

if there's too many many planes then it wont really matter as all you hear is a constant whining of engines all around.

but all sounds really is an illusion in the game, the only advantage is if you can adapt to it.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 12:32:03 AM »
but the wonderful thing about the human brain is that it adapts easily.  I can turn my head and hear which directions the airplanes are coming only exception is from the front as you have already explained.  not sure why.

the effect is clear when you are flying with a friendly and he gets behind you and moves around or he's on your left or right.  but sound doesnt really sound right when it's in front of you.

many times I have saved myself in a furball because I can clearly hear an engine coming from a certain direction or as he's firing.  well if he's firing I normally talk on vox saying I am dead before my airplane falls apart, but at least I heard him and could tell the direction first based on engine.

if there's too many many planes then it wont really matter as all you hear is a constant whining of engines all around.

but all sounds really is an illusion in the game, the only advantage is if you can adapt to it.

semp

Front sound is surprisingly the most problematic of all. When you add head tracking to headphones, the sound moves out of your head to your front so it feels like you're listening to a set of speakers again.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »
You have head tracking headphones?

The GFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 02:27:23 AM »

Unfortunately no, the head tracking system costs 400 bucks (headphones not included) and I'm not exactly a fan of headphones. They bother me on long use sessions.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »

I have trakir with surround headset.

semp

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 01:22:01 PM »
Unfortunately no, the head tracking system costs 400 bucks (headphones not included) and I'm not exactly a fan of headphones. They bother me on long use sessions.

you must have big ears like me.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
you must have big ears like me.   

Maybe, I also have very short hair so the band presses my hair stubs. Feels like acupuncture.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
The materials matter much, as does the size of the earcups. The artificial leather coating of the strap of my headphones just stripped off, leaving a nice velour like material similar to that of the earcups. Doesn't press my hair stubs at all, not even on a Friday evening when I fly the most and my hair is at the longest after a Saturday night sauna shave.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni