Author Topic: Tool Shedding-Get rid of it.  (Read 7433 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Tool Shedding-Get rid of it.
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »
My thought about this is that fighting over something meaningful is often much more intense than just fighting for the sake of fighting.  Removing the chance that the hangars can be destroyed may itself effectively destroy the fight.

You know, many people (not you Karnak, but many) are acting as if proposed taking away the base capture element. That is not at all what I am after. I agree that the base capture dynamic and having certain objects that must be destroyed (town buildings and guns) is necessary and adds variety to the game.
What I do not understand is how people can allege that toolshedding, literally taking away the opponent's ability to up and fight actually promotes the fight. Old sayings about "screwing for virginity" come to mind. I have been in fights for a base where they did not drop the hangars. It is always vicious, competitive, and can go either way right up until the second the last troop makes it into the map room. Who wouldn't prefer this sort of fight?

But unfortunately I find this style of base-taking all too uncommon these days. Mostly I see good furballs springing up, only to be killed by as little as a single individual who wishes to toolshedd, then an anti-climatic base take.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:22:21 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »
You know, many people (not you Karnak, but many) are acting as if proposed taking away the base capture element. That is not at all what I am after. I agree that the base capture dynamic and having certain objects that must be destroyed (town buildings and guns) is necessary and adds variety to the game.
What I do not understand is how people can allege that toolshedding, literally taking away the opponent's ability to up and fight actually promotes the fight. Old sayings about "screwing for virginity" come to mind. I have been in fights for a base where they did not drop the hangars. It is always vicious, competitive, and can go either way right up until the second the last troop makes it into the map room. Who wouldn't prefer this sort of fight?

But unfortunately I find this style of base-taking all too uncommon these days. Mostly I see good furballs springing up, only to be killed by as little as a single individual who wishes to toolshedd, then an anti-climatic base take.

Most likely the issue of the misunderstanding is due to your use of the word "toolshedding". Toolshedding is the destruction of any and all build, hangers and objects. Maybe you should use the term "fighter hanger" and then have less confusion.

Offline Iamtheknight

• Zinc Member
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
What about simply adding more hangars to fields as a compromise?
The Damned BAT in the AH Belfry

"You don't have any special powers"
"Oh I have one...I NEVER give up"-The Batman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »
Most likely the issue of the misunderstanding is due to your use of the word "toolshedding". Toolshedding is the destruction of any and all build, hangers and objects. Maybe you should use the term "fighter hanger" and then have less confusion.

You know, you're right. My bad. Thank you for pointing this out  :salute Guys, what Fugi said.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
IMHO - the only reason to kill the hangers is to block the enemy's ability to launch and immediately fly to the MR or M3 spawns or LVTs.  There are MANY defending cartoon flyers that also don't care about the fight and only the defense (which there is nothing wrong with this) only to kill the troops or troop carriers.  

The ENY plane thing does have merit, however it doesn't solve problem of stopping the spawn camper (or troops killers).  

yes, this is an air combat game.  It is ALSO a GV tanking game.  It is also a Capture the Flag type game.  It is ALSO a scenario historic type game.

Having all of the different types of arenas gives a lot of depth to the game and it really is what we put into it.  

Personally, I really have to be in the mood to do certain things.  If I feel like defending, I will do that.  If I feel like only fighting, I will fly around and go find a fight.  When I am doing laundry or other things around the house, I will go bomb strats.

Sometimes I feel like being in a horde and sometimes I feel like going after bases with 3 or 4 peeps.  Sometimes, I only run troops and supplies.

It simply depends.  

I am still against the wish but do think it makes for interesting discussion and feedback.  

The DA is there and you can get into a fight relatively quick.  I haven't visited the DA in some time as I usually find quick action in the MAs as of late.  
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
 It is also a Capture the Flag type game.
True, and I have stated repeatedly that the capture the flag dynamic is needed and in and of itself spawns fun. What I do not think is fun is playing capture the flag when one side is forced to be sitting in the tower. As for defenders upping and racing to kill troops-that is why it is called a FIGHT. If the attackers cannot suppress the defenders well enough to get their troops to the maproom without taking down the fighter hangars, then they do not deserve the take IMO.

The DA is there and you can get into a fight relatively quick.  I haven't visited the DA in some time as I usually find quick action in the MAs as of late.  

If you had visited lately you would know that it is often empty, and usually completely dead at those times of day when it is also hard to find a fight in the MA.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »

I understand that you aren't talking about taking away base captures.  Likewise, I wasn't talking about it either.  I was talking about taking away the fight.  The fact that the hangars/carrier can be destroyed may make the fight more intense, both in the effort to defend and the effort to attack them.  The thing risking being taken away is the fight and just capturing a base does not carry the same sting to it, at least not to me.

Obviously I am not certain of this as it is just a guess.  The ultimate results of a massive change like you suggest are often hard to accurately predict.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
killing fh's = bad

vulching = good

:rofl

if you make hangars indestructible, the ack should be indestructible also.. you know.. for "the fight"... let them defenders get up and have a chance..

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline hcrana

• Copper Member
      • http://www.menacingferrets.com
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
Herr Doktor Professor Kolonel H.C. Rana
Kommanding Ossifer, The Menacing Ferrets
ILLEGITIMATVS NON CARBORVNDVM EST

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »
In honor of this thread, I'm now taking off to bomb a few hangars  :salute
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
In honor of this thread, I'm now taking off to bomb a few hangars  :salute

:cheers:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
If the attackers cannot suppress the defenders well enough to get their troops to the maproom without taking down the fighter hangars, then they do not deserve the take IMO.

If you had visited lately you would know that it is often empty, and usually completely dead at those times of day when it is also hard to find a fight in the MA.

Understand what you are saying, however, if you get in and cap the base, and guys are dropping down to keep a path clean, then either a horde is developing or the attackers loose guys and have to fly all the way back creating the daisy chain grinder.  While I agree that you should be good enough to capture the base, however, often times when an attack begins, we have dropped a town and had cap before.  But the resupply effort makes it near impossible if defended correctly as the town can be up in minutes after being dropped.  Sometimes, the ONLY way to stop the defenders is to drop the base, clear the skies, then put the vulch on the resupply effort. 

It really seriously depends on who is there, who is defending, what time of day, etc...

You are right, my last few visits to the DA were ridiculous.  Took off only to get vulched or to meet in the middle with a handful of guys in the atmosphere.  You get into a few good fights and the cannon plane gods are on you when you are wrapped up.  Not really that fun in there to me any longer.  Every now and then it can still be okay.  The WW1 arena is fun if you find anyone in there.  Fairly even fights.

Again.  All good points but sometimes, if you are outnumbered and any given side has crazy response to defend a base, even if you do drop the base, you still can't take it.  It is usually based on the determination of the side attacking or defending.
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2014, 11:26:21 PM »

Gold Member

Reg: Oct 2008

View Profile Personal Message (Offline) 

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote 

Quote from: Zoney on June 27, 2014, 02:03:06 PM

-1BnZ

Your wish would result in a game I would not want to play. 

Explain. The only real difference would be that taking bases would require enough superiority to thoroughly oppress the defenders while the troops roll in, and fights would potentially be hotly contested until the moment troops went into the map room. I do not see why this is bad, in fact this sounds very, very good. What is it about the tool-shedding dynamic that you think makes the game more fun for the majority of players?

and what make you think it doesent---you don't know what people think or what people want-you can't speak for other people--you think your using logic for your wish---what you think  MR. SPOCK---if he were real and here--he would say your logic sucks--you should be able to tell your logic is flawed by the response for the other players post's here---it would be ill-logical to make hangers indestructale.

you said bombers would have other things to bomb--what just cv groups and towns-that's not enough.
you said you've been playing since 2006-so what-others have played a lot longer than you--I'm in my 5th or 6th year--100 to 150 hrs aweek. and I'm sure the REAL vets of this game can tell you that hanger bombing hasen't changed in all that time because it's a part of this game.. if you take away hanger destruction you might as well end this game because it would be boring-----and besides fighter,bomber,and vehicle hangers are down for only 15 minutes

and bnzs no matter what logic or how bad you wish for killable hangers are here to stay.....if not might as well play xbox or playstation.

C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2014, 02:26:41 AM »
Good Lord... 100-150 hours a week?

That sounds like substituitng virtual reality for reality. You know, you could probably be good at something valuable if you put the game down every now and then.

As for the hated BnZs,

Oh yeah...

Retort #8: What are you, some kind of green-blooded Vulcan?

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2014, 06:39:30 AM »
Good Lord... 100-150 hours a week?

That sounds like substituitng virtual reality for reality. You know, you could probably be good at something valuable if you put the game down every now and then.

As for the hated BnZs,

Oh yeah...

Retort #8: What are you, some kind of green-blooded Vulcan?

No, I work, parts manager at a dealership,9 hrs a day 5 days a week..I cook supper,clean house,cut the grass, go to movies,shopping,I don' watch tv much,except for ncis,I dont go to bars or run around and get introuble,anymore,i' 56 yrs old I like to stay at home.  And no i'm not a vulcan
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.