Author Topic: Tie forum access to subscription status  (Read 2931 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Tie forum access to subscription status
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2014, 09:22:36 PM »
For BFM/ACM, as a broad generalization, it's typically more applicable to prop aircraft than jet aircraft. The reason is that historic ACM doctrine is tied to the balance of energy vs. angles - this itself is limited by the availability of thrust. Modern fighters have excess thrust, so it's less of a balancing act (as traditional ACM is) and more of an optimized fight, trying to maintain specific speeds and weapon envelopes.

Well, you posted a little shorter reply than what I was going to type...

That Shaw's book is very much as good for prop driven / wwll planes as it is for the jet age fighter planes, with the only difference in applying Shaw's book to prop driven aircraft versus jets, is for the student being able to know and acknowledge the difference of the the 2 different types of era specific  fighter planes, and how their thrust to weight ratio differs..

Thus, the student, with that knowledge can determine which tactic will work sufficiently in their particular engagement... and understand what parameters they might need to acquire to set up such attack or defensive maneuvering...

Hope this helps

«§»

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 11:38:40 PM »
See Rules #4, #14
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:46:17 AM by Skuzzy »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2014, 12:26:39 AM »
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:46:41 AM by Skuzzy »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2014, 12:33:27 AM »
Opinions are not created equal, and at the core, paying customers' opinions almost always outweigh the opinions of those not paying for service.

Says who?

Wait a minute!

This Wiki might help you!

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_false_premises

This is fun.  But other than demonstrating how clever we are, it's sort of beside the point.

- oldman

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2014, 12:39:08 AM »

Says who?

Wait a minute!

This Wiki might help you!

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_false_premises

This is fun.  But other than demonstrating how clever we are, it's sort of beside the point.

- oldman

Note the word "almost" - I put that word in there specifically because there are always exceptions.

That said, unless you can show me a business model that is built around and that maintains supporting the opinions (feedback) of prospective customers over the feedback of current customers, and then show that model to be the majority of business models (key point), the argument stands. Then again, that's also basic economics (at least in the US market).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:50:14 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2014, 01:48:09 AM »
This is an old community where people sub, unsub and resub all the time.
It makes little sense to remove engagement with the community.
One of the main reasons for resubscription is that constant engagement and inclusion.

My question is, which person or persons amongst the community currently unsubbed, has/have displeased or crossed you into coming up with this cockamamie idea to silence them?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »
That said, unless you can show me a business model that is built around and that maintains supporting the opinions (feedback) of prospective customers over the feedback of current customers, and then show that model to be the majority of business models (key point), the argument stands. Then again, that's also basic economics (at least in the US market).

This is somewhat strident because there is no successful business model that fits the parameters that you just set.  I could, if my NDAs would allow it, show you customer feedback models that place equal emphasis on current- and ex-customer feedback and slightly higher emphasis on prospective-customer feedback (the market to be won).

See Rules #4, #14
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:48:01 AM by Skuzzy »
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
Ahhh...gettting back to the OP.

I respectfully do not think it is a good idea to exclude past players, or anyone else for that matter, from the forums as long as they conduct themselves in a (mostly) civil manner.  I am personally always interested in hearing from others who have played the game even if I do not always agree with their opinions.  I also think the forums are a good way to attract those who may be on the fence considering if they want to give the game a chance.  

:salute
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
TC says the boards should be required reading for new people.  I respect his opinion and I respect him as a man I am getting to know more every week, but I think that would also be a mistake.   If I had read the non-focused boards (O'Club, WishList, etc) before flying much in the game, I might have found a healthier place to fly.

That said...Ratsy might have a point about the forums potentially being a turn-off for new players.  :frown:
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:45:09 AM by Skuzzy »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
My post was meant only to lighten the mood.

Didn't work.

I appreciate, Muzik, your passion for civil liberties.  

Good lord!  Again with the liberties.

If my post insulted you

It didn't.

but we are not free to disrespect (or threaten)  each other.

I'm gonna have a tough time with that one.

we bicker over who has the 'best voice' in the community.  It's ridiculous, don't you think?

Yes he is.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:59:34 PM by muzik »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
It's gotten to be so common in the industry that it's pretty much become the industry standard that paid subscribers get full access to the official forums while those that aren't subscribers usually only have read only access to the forums.  I understand why it's done, company I work for does the same things for our forums but I've always felt it was in the end bad for us to exclude those that no longer play the game but still wish to remain part of the community.  

Oh, and those that think forum access is a 'right'...well, it's not.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:56:42 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »
This is the best response yet, I can only name one person who stuck around on the board that didn't even have 500 kills total[...]

When you can show proof that you walked into a bar and said, "Ladies, I'm hung, I got me 500 fighter kills in Aces High 2", and then show proof that you got laid, it'll mean something.

Until then, well... it's just salamander-projection beyond it's limits :O

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »
When you can show proof that you walked into a bar and said, "Ladies, I'm hung, I got me 500 fighter kills in Aces High 2", and then show proof that you got laid, it'll mean something.

Until then, well... it's just salamander-projection beyond it's limits :O

Can't tell if you're just screwing around, or if you actually missed what he was saying.

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
This is just a hunch, but I'm thinking you'll never truly know. Sorry :(