Author Topic: NEW aircraft and MORE realistic  (Read 1551 times)

Offline PROACE400

• Zinc Member
NEW aircraft and MORE realistic
« on: July 25, 2014, 05:59:43 AM »
I recently thought that we should have tactical aircraft for....well tactical reasons. Eg: catalina flying boats that can "pinpoint" locations of enemy CVs. So we can launch catalinas from ports of coastal bases, and have them scour the seas for enemy naval units, and they will be placed on the map. Also...more tactical options like merging or dividing the ships in task groups, so we can maybe have an entire carrier fleet, or a battle group of cruisers and destroyers only, so we have more options.
Also, some aircraft, notably the mosquito and hellcat radar variants have radar, though we can't seem to access these radar. Also, add more aircraft like the rufe fighter (zero fighter with floats) and the ability to launch seaplanes as scouts or makeshift bombers from the cruisers, and can be recovered by landing near a cruiser or carrier.
Its pretty obvious that we need recon aircraft to locate and pinpoint enemy forces so we can effectively combat them.
Also...I was wondering if we could use the Fairy Swordfish torpedo bombers. Also, have a formation option for the single-engine bombers...PLZ!!! I want to be able to launch air attacks from torpedo bombers. Also be able to choose how many aircraft you want in a formation, I sometimes want another three, or another four, or sometimes just two. And...B-29 should have NUKE! They could carry a single atom bomb, quite sure.

If we had these recon aircraft, then the bis and knights would  :bolt:

AND...please add a better dive bomber drop animation, it doesn't make sense to have the bomb just drop without detonating on the prop. Add that arm-thing.

Also, can our bombers have auto-gunners? I'm tired of flying in, in the bomb scope, and five spits jump me!  :cry

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: NEW aircraft and MORE realistic
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:09:45 AM »
Also, some aircraft, notably the mosquito and hellcat radar variants have radar, though we can't seem to access these radar.

We can't access the radars because none of the version we are flying had any. Furthermore, the radar these specialized versions were historically carrying was so limited in range that it would be all but useless in our AH environment.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:14:49 AM »
The Bish And Knights Already run. :lol :lol :lol
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »

We can't access the radars because none of the version we are flying had any. Furthermore, the radar these specialized versions were historically carrying was so limited in range that it would be all but useless in our AH environment.

I was thinking with vis range we have in the Mains that the AVA & FSO would be the only place it might be of a small service.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
I was thinking with vis range we have in the Mains that the AVA & FSO would be the only place it might be of a small service.

Not even there.
You can still see the dot long before the "blip" will appear on your radar screen.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
Also...more tactical options like merging or dividing the ships in task groups, so we can maybe have an entire carrier fleet, or a battle group of cruisers and destroyers only, so we have more options.

This has merit.  We saw the separation of CV's from their fleets in the last scenario.  Opens up a lot of options and I would give it a +1.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

Not even there.
You can still see the dot long before the "blip" will appear on your radar screen.

Yep. The only use the types of airborne radar available in WWII would have is for:

1) Locating targets at night (which we don't have, anyway, and as noted by Lusche, would be superfluous in the mains because visual range is MUCH longer than the range of the radar units available)

2) Radar fire control/ranging (IE the cannon on the B-25H)
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
I'm all for the recon mission and making it a point category alongside fighter, attack, bomber and vehicle. And not just for spotting warships. I'm for breaking up tactical and strategic targets and placing them all over the map at which point only dedicated recon missions that photograph the installations can make them appear on each country's map.

Example: I am in a PBY scouting the coast. I come across what appears to be a small port and a cluster of factories so I come down for a close look. Once I positively ID the facility then it will appear on the map for the country I am flying for. Meaning if I am a knight spotting a rook facility the bish don't get the benefit of the spot. However, to make it attractive to our furballing top gunners out there, the only way a positive ID on a facility occurs is once I return to my airfield or scud run myself into a vehicle base and land successfully. A radio call-in will only give a vague marker of the target. Detailed intel on the sight only becomes available after a successful landing. So if I'm shot down then the photos are lost and another reconnoiter is required. This will add some depth and excitement to the reconnaissance mission and bring on a fun new dimension to the war effort.
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
Hitech could do the radar ranging system for the B-25H\J. It was used to shoot at ships because of the large positive contact. The radar caused a gearing mechanism to operate the elevation dial for an N6 with a practical range of about 6000yds. Kind of similar to the offline LCG green cross if Hitech would allow you to designate a ship while limiting the max range to 6000yds. It was accurate in use starting at 4000yds against shipping near the end of the war against japan. Only a few missions were flown.

The Marines had been using manual aiming before that against island targets flying at 1500ft and opening up at 6000yds to hit ack and gun positions.

If anyone knows which drone number will put a GV on the deck of the CV. You can LCG target designate that offline while it sits on the CV deck. Or maybe that won't even work......

I guess no one remembers I created a 6000yd calibrated sight for the B-25H to attack CV groups.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
Hitech could do the radar ranging system for the B-25H\J. It was used to shoot at ships because of the large positive contact. The radar caused a gearing mechanism to operate the elevation dial for an N6 with a practical range of about 6000yds. Kind of similar to the offline LCG green cross if Hitech would allow you to designate a ship while limiting the max range to 6000yds. It was accurate in use starting at 4000yds against shipping near the end of the war against japan. Only a few missions were flown.

The Marines had been using manual aiming before that against island targets flying at 1500ft and opening up at 6000yds to hit ack and gun positions.

If anyone knows which drone number will put a GV on the deck of the CV. You can LCG target designate that offline while it sits on the CV deck. Or maybe that won't even work......

I guess no one remembers I created a 6000yd calibrated sight for the B-25H to attack CV groups.

I do but where did you post it?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »
Read the readme's and the pdf for the B25.

6000yd B-25H gunsight download:  http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/63930200/file.html

5000yd Me410 gunsight download: http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/58504288/file.html
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 03:57:43 AM »

Not even there.
I don't think many people realize just how short-ranged the early airborne radars were. Even the state of the art set in the P-61 had a whopping range of 5 miles.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
I don't think many people realize just how short-ranged the early airborne radars were. Even the state of the art set in the P-61 had a whopping range of 5 miles.

To be fair, 5 miles = 8800 yards, which WOULD be beyond standard icon range (I'm not sure what dot vis range is off the top of my head, though).

Given IFF technology (or lack thereof) of the time, I'm pretty sure that only gives you a blip so would offer no better information than dot vis. However it WOULD probably make it easier to zero in on those long-range dots which can sometimes be tough to pick up at lower display resolutions or against background clutter before the icons pop.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »

I do and still use it ;) :salute

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
The Bish And Knights Already run. :lol :lol :lol

Are you implying Rooks don't? Cause in my opinion Rooks are probably worst than Bish but definitely worst than knights when it comes to fighting.
Top Gun