Author Topic: LOVE THE NEW MAP  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Re: LOVE THE NEW MAP
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
I'm sure LuscheMA will be better  :rolleyes:

hope you enjoy it all the terrain was hand crafted and the texture tiles laid out manually.

the maps deep and narrow on the battlefronts so it should support high or low numbers.

the only base that should have 163 is the high alt base (7-8k i think) far back a little ways from hq (this base also has 3 mile long runways with no obstructions to auto takeoff b29s with with no fear of death.

the reason the 163 base is far back form hq is the altitude makes the time involved to intercept hq attack close to what a sea level base would be that was closer.

I personally would line up all strats that have been scattered out of gameplay reach in a line between hq and the city along the road/river between the two so bombers can make a bomb run up and down them and fighters can cap the area. again the distance of the high alt base where the 163 was originally enabled was to make 163 cap limited to the hq with difficulty pushing further into the main combat areas.

the tank town in the center isn't a tank town so much as a checkmate to the high alt base. something to fight over. the logic was those v bases are dug into the mountains in underground caves insurgency style and can be attacked relentlessly but never eradicated. whoever has the force to take and hold the airbase should have an advantage in the area but the base will never be "safe" in spite of its higher elevation with the v bases in striking range of it... the place should be in danger of recapture by anyone at any time.

gv chains are present on the flanks and ozkansas style gv chains are also present n the center bases.

as for the cv hubs... they are not obvious points of conflict it may take a while to figure out the port in center will always have enemy fleet nearby. once people figure that out then they might choose to ignore it and attack the mainland or supress the enemy fleet to keep it from mounting  a capture on the port.

a lot of thought was put into it hopefully that effort turns into enjoyment for anyone playing on the map.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
I'm sure LuscheMA will be better  :rolleyes:

Huh?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
Fester,

After a week, it's a surprisingly well laid out design to encourage small group fighting over isolated 4x4 sector areas. If the country you are targeting a base in does not up a defense, it's a rather quick series of base takes. Once the target country's palyers decide to dig their heels in, the fighting heats up until either side can bring the numbers. The base chains promote this. And give low numbers time to turn their back for a bit if their interests are else where.

The central 4 bases with the nearest airfield 1.5 sector away is a surprisingly good place to furball with small numbers. On the ground or in the air. I see the purpose in the 1.5 sector distance after both GVing and furballing there last night. You sir are a stinker in that wirbels are TigerII fodder from the town when they are trying to defend tanks up on the ridge over the town from aircarft. I hope this weekend will bring enough players to your TT to stress it with numbers to see how it really plays out.

There is one weakness to the design that our current low late night population reveals. The HQ's should be placed back about 2 sectors more. It's too easy for the late night energizer bunnies to sweep up the line of bases to the HQ when there is only 15 players on a side so that the HQ for one of the countries is NOE fodder all the next day. During the week we had an evening like that and players logging due to too much effort to keep the HQ up. The long flight to the HQ eats up the sort play time many have in their evening. And once the NOE ally is open to the HQ, it's greiferrama time all night long. And it looks like you created that by design. I don't think it's necessary as things stand. The rest of the map promotes combat as is.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
Spent a little time on the new map Today, one thing I really like about it,, the wide open spaces for tank fights!
I got to engage tanks while moving from up to 3.5 k, turning and firing is fun!
The 7 k base in the rear is nice for bomber runs, spent a couple of hours in a 29 !
It's great to have a new map, new places to kill and be killed and lots of new terrain to see,
I still think a different TT object tho!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »
Could the two threads on this subject be merged, please?

The maps layout and textures are great, there are a couple of fields with the towns stacked 0-distance ( :bhead ) and while I have heard some players griping about the map seeming flat, I like its terrain (rolling hills instead of the more common himilayas in MA maps).  I'm still warming up to the TT, it is definitely good action but less than other TTs, but it also lacks spawn camping and instant-action spawns...  I wonder what might happen if each vbase had a vspawn ~3k from the airfield's town.  I like the port and cv placements, but it seems they need a little more since so far they don't see near as much combat as other areas/features of the map.

The map is one quick (a couple little things) coat of polish away from being a gem in MAs map rotation.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:27:02 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
Only logged on briefly to look at the new map. It is nice. I thought the gray dar bars were actually a feature of he map...and one I kinda liked. Still, nice map.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2014, 06:29:46 PM »
Pictures for those of us that don't play anymore
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey