Author Topic: Morfiend.  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Morfiend.
« on: August 08, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »

What an asset to the Aces High community this man is.  Sure I have been very lucky to have him as a friend and squadmate for many years now - but outside of that, the man is a selfless teacher of all things ACM.

For 2 hours last night he patiently worked with me in the Dr1.  Our sessions went from lasting 10 -15 seconds before he got me to auger/spinoff/crash....to 10 minute brawls fought to a near stand still.  I learned more in those 2 hours than I could have with weeks of trial and error on my own.

Morfiend - a good man.

<S>

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
Re: Morfiend.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Yep <S>
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »
Hooray for Morfiend  :old: :banana:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
he also taught me how to make broadheads out of spoons!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »
Both my careers in AH, Morf helped me immensely.  A finer man would be hard to find! 

Now, I'm not able to be on very often, but I'd LOVE to jump on this WWI fight club thing..  I utterly suck in those kites though. 

<<S>>
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
he also taught me how to make broadheads out of spoons!

He's a wealth of information on a myriad of topics.  Doesn't take long when talking with him to realize he read a lot of books as a kid.  And as an AH trainer he exhibits extreme patience and a gifted way of coming to a point of lesson from an avenue consistent with the pupils understanding and level.  That's a gift that all great teachers have.  Much like yourself when working a training video.

Both my careers in AH, Morf helped me immensely.  A finer man would be hard to find!  

Now, I'm not able to be on very often, but I'd LOVE to jump on this WWI fight club thing..  I utterly suck in those kites though.  

<<S>>

Nine, other than the few hardcore WWI experten in there...most of the guys haven't flown the kites in years.  But it has been such a blast and a welcome change up to the same ole same ole. I haven't had my boys over there in a long, long time...hence my crawling up to Morf last night and begging for help.  I can fly the DVII as good as most, but I want to be good in the Dr1.  After last night's hot work with Morf...there is hope.

And thanks for chiming in Gents.  A little shout out to a well deserving mate...is always a good thing!

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »
I was just thinking of Morfiend and the other trainers this morning when I saw this thread.  With all the negativity that can come from us members regarding things we don't like about the AH experience, these members just solidly plod along forward, remaining consistently positive, and do the most difficult job of all the volunteers HTC has - training people who may be clueless about flying and gaming.  It's a huge task when you think about it, most of us who have been here over a year say take for granted everything we've learned about the game, but imagine having to show somebody who is interested in the game, but knows absolutely nothing about it.  Starting from scratch.  Heavy stuff.

Yet beyond that, trainers know things even long term players may not - I know I find things out semi regularly that I had no idea about before, little things sometimes, but on occasion, big things, and reading the training forum is where most of them pop up for me.

Morfiend is a great guy, I've watched him at work from time to time in the past, and he is a born teacher and instructor.  Anytime I've pm'd him he's always responded with friendly and accurate stuff.  Plus he's Canadian, so it should go without saying he's a member of Team Awesome.  

The game needs more like him, and there are more like him, many in the training corps.  In the coming months when the new version gets here, their services will be in even more demand, as I'm of the opinion that the game will see some pretty rapid growth in numbers, hopefully attracting the tens of thousands playing that other WW2 online game, that won't be nearly as good or fun as AH(3?) will be with the new graphics motor.  The game here is already miles superior IMO, but if it can attract those who need pretty things to look at as well, AH, as I said, is going to need Morfiend and his ilk even more, as keeping those guys who do take an interest will be of paramount importance.  It's a critical issue really, doing all that work to improve the game, and get more of those WT types to take a serious look at it - keeping them is the real objective IMO, and Morfiend/trainers are the front line of that battle.  All members should offer them as much support as possible.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:17:32 AM by Gman »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »
 :salute Stampf,

Good to see a game vet step up and acknowledge that there's always more to learn.

My turn took place a few years ago when Mtnman helped me with my merge in preperation for the dueling bracket.  What I learned in my one to two hour session helped not only in the bracket but also in the MA.  While we were there we also worked on the defensive barrel role (invaluable) and the rolling scissor (played him to a stalemate).  I tried to get another session but it never worked out.  Regardless, actually being trained stuck with me more than self-taught techniques ever would have.

Prior to that session I did some work with WMLute and Karaya on my merge and, while helpful, the trainers seem to be generally better teachers, able to get a concept across and have it stick with you.  I know I've tried to help people out in the past and I'm no help at all.

I'd say I'm glad to hear it worked out but the proof will come Wednesday.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
 :salute morfiend  :cheers:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
  :salute Morf!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »
Thanks Morf for all the training you've given to me and others. I may disagree with you about Corsairs having bent wings so they "don't get their skirt wet," but you are a fine chap nonetheless  :lol :cheers: :aok :salute
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »
The best half hour a few nights a week you can spend is in Morfiend's unstructured, slow, follow the leader sessions. Simply listening to him chat with other players about their problems during that is a wealth of info. Or as you are trying to stay on his tail. Ask him why you can't. He will slow down even more and talk you through it.

Morfiend fills in the nuance for maneuvering that makes ACM easier to understand.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »
Only good thing I can say about Morph is he married a Bruins fan  :neener:

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »
I'd say I'm glad to hear it worked out but the proof will come Wednesday.

Tru dat.  And make no mistake...I fully expect to take some lumps...however now...they should be born more of a bad decision on my part, over a good one from my foeman.  I am just now able to handle my adversary....foiling the other 5 to 10 guys baring down...well that would be step two in this learning process.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
ha if it wasnt for the efforts of morfiend i would still be drilling holes in the ground. a truly gifted man
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc