Author Topic: F4U Dive Brakes and Stall Warning Light  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
F4U Dive Brakes and Stall Warning Light
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:13:13 PM »
The historic pilot's handbook for the F4U Corsair describes that the hog had a dive brake which consisted of the landing gear being lowered partially to increase drag. It would be awesome if this was modeled in the Aces High Corsairs (including indicator light for the dive brake like in other aircraft). It would make it an even more formidable BnZ fighter.

Also in the historic handbook is mention of the stall warning light. Personally, I would like to turn off the somewhat-annoying stall horn when flying the F4U and just be able to see such a stall warning light. It would be cool if the latter would be implemented in this bird.

Just some wishes from a hog head  :aok
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U Dive Brakes and Stall Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »
The gear deploys at 300mph, performs pretty much the same function only likely a bit better than the partial deployment.  Although it would be kind of nice to stop the whining about the people dropping gear to lose speed if they implemented the dive brake setting.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
There is no partial deployment of the main gear. The dive brakes are mounted on the main gear which are fully opened and locked. The difference is that the tailwheel is still retracted.

The stall horn volume is adjustable in advanced sound preferences if you want to turn it down or off.

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
What made me think that the gear partially extends is the quote from the handbook that "...the wheels will trail instead of extending fully and locking but are nevertheless effective as a dive brake."

Here is the quote in full, from page 41 of the AN 01-45HA-1 handbook:

I also know about turning down the stall horn sound (I currently have it at something like "2" of "100") but an indicator light like the historic bird would be nice as well so I can completely turn the horn off. Just a "wish"  :angel:
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »
They changed that advice in later editions.This is from an F4U-5 manual.

2-82. LANDING GEAR AND DIVE BRAKE CONTROL. To minimize the possibility of
malfunctioning of the main landing gear during retraction or extension, use of the landing
gear as a dive brake is permitted only in full down and locked position except in an
emergency. The maximum speed at which the landing gear extends fully and locks is 270
knots IAS. The maximum permissible speed with the landing gear down and locked is 350
knots IAS.

You're correct about partial deployment above 260 kts, we don't have that modeled.
There wasn't a "partial" setting, it was just air pressure preventing fully down and locked.
Our model locks down at any speed up until it breaks.

The dive brake control does drop the gear in the F4U but it also extends the tail wheel.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:23:35 PM by FLS »