Author Topic: PC help  (Read 1942 times)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: PC help
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »
You can set it in Windows without using the nVidia control panel, if my memory serves me right. Just right click on an empty field of your desktop, choose Properties->Settings->Advanced-> Display(?) to find the good old Windows Refresh rate drop down menu.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
Flench you said you cleaned your computer up? did that include removing Aces High and doing a fresh install?

is it possible his Videocard has burned up a component or popped a capacitor that affects the 3D side of it?

I also noticed his hardware acceleration for sound is set to FULL on WinXP SP3, might want to turn it back to 3/4  in DirectX ( DXDIAG )

Also, for a healthy WindowsXP install, your page file used should be around 100 MB's used, yours is above   500 MB's used...

Flench, I have some spare Nividia Videocards laying around if you need one.....

Hope this helps

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »
something else to try, since you was able to run the DXDIAG report, it shows this:

DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
 D3D7 Test Result: Not run
 D3D8 Test Result: Not run
 D3D9 Test Result: Not run

rerun your DXDIAG, but this time go to the video tab at the top and run the test in order that are available to do, and see what comes up, run this

DDraw Test Result: Not run
 D3D7 Test Result: Not run
 D3D8 Test Result: Not run
 D3D9 Test Result: Not run

it might show you where your problem is....

just a thought...  good luck

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Bizman , I tried that .

TequilaChaser , I well try to rerun DXDIAG and do what you said and see what we get . I'm pretty sure it's the video card but why well it run video's so well ? I mite have to take you up on a video card .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
whatever I can do to help Flench, just let me know.....

TC

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 11:25:45 AM »
Thanks TequilaChaser , Got to be the video card . Only thing it can be .

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
is it possible his Videocard has burned up a component or popped a capacitor that affects the 3D side of it?
Worth checking, but unfortunately the GTX250 seems to use the type that doesn't bulge or leak. OTOH they don't seem to fail as often as the regular ones.
I'm pretty sure it's the video card but why well it run video's so well ?
Videos don't have to make that much calculation, they are like "as is" whereas a game does all kinds of tricks in the background like lighting, shadows, skinning and whatnot. T&L, transform and lighting is somewhat of an overall term for that. To clarify, on a video you see an image of what has happened. Every shadow, shine, glow and reflection has actually been there, visible for the camera eye and captured on the "film". In a game all of this gets created at the very instance and it changes every time you move your viewing angle. I suppose long grass swaying in the wind with the sun shining low like in the morning or evening is among the most challenging tasks for a video card, calculating the angle of every single straw and leaf and their relation to the light source and other straws casting shadows 60 times a second.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
Thank you Bizman . I understand now .

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »
I got to hurry up and get in game to keep me off the forum , lol .
Update though TequilaChaser is going to fix me up with another video card . Got to be what it is . I took it all apart [PC] yesterday and rechecked every thing . All look's good .

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
I got to hurry up and get in game to keep me off the forum , lol .
Update though TequilaChaser is going to fix me up with another video card . Got to be what it is . I took it all apart [PC] yesterday and rechecked every thing . All look's good .

Did you run the tests TC suggested? Those are the 3d test and should tell you flat out if the card can or can not run 3d graphics.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2014, 09:11:43 AM »
Good Morning Flench,

I'll have that list of videocards for you here ( well in a pm ) within next hour or so, sir...

Then, hopefully the water heater will have recovered...looks like I'll be going to the dang ER today, not gonna make it 'til tomorrow to see my doc... I rolled/twisted my right foot/ankle and torqued my right kneecap... I've done had 2 previous right knee operations already...this crap happened last Weds. and is getting worse by the hour...heh

What one does trying to not step on their dogs, heh

Have it to you soon

TC

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
Nicely described, TC! I could almost feel the pain myself, although my current sciatica helps empathizing. Get well soon!  :salute

Kotisivuni

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »
Did you run the tests TC suggested? Those are the 3d test and should tell you flat out if the card can or can not run 3d graphics.

Yes I run the test and all looked fine .Now I think I did it right .

TequilaChaser , man I screw up one like that around 8 year's ago and I can turn hard or something and it pop out like . Has a torn legmen in it now . I know your pain . Can't walk or anything . s u c k s .
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:45:08 AM by Flench »

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 05:04:29 AM »
Update : That's what the problem was , the video card . Many thanks TequilaChaser for the card's . See you all in game .

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 06:37:30 AM »
Good Morning Flench,

good to hear that you're up and running.....

now if I can be any help at all, let me know and we will work on tweaking that Windows XP SP3 OS ( operating System ) of yours

as I posted about it earlier, a well cleaned and tweaked windows XP machine should be running after start up and at idle with anywhere from 23 or 24 processes in use down towards 18 to 16 processes in use.............. I personally ran mine anywhere between 18 to 20 processes and my pagefile was right around 90 to 100 MB's used

I am not sure if Black viper's website is still up or not, but you can give it a try

www.blackviper.com   His website has been referred by many here to other AH players, on going and learning what to tweak/turn off and what not to tweak or not to turn off......

Let me know if I can be of any more help to you...... If I come across a better Video card that I do not need, I'll hold on to it for you......

best of Luck to ya! 

<S>

TC / Johnny