Author Topic: AoM vs The Damned 2v2 Skyyr/Kruel vs ChangeUp/Triton28  (Read 15232 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: AoM vs The Damned 2v2 Skyyr/Kruel vs ChangeUp/Triton28
« Reply #345 on: August 27, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
Does not matter to me if I win or lose...I have fun regardless and don't care either way.

Good to have a fellow spirit, <S>.

- oldman

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2014, 09:49:17 PM »
This game reminds me of men's beer league Hockey. For the most part its filled with guys who enjoy the game for what it is and can grab a drink with each other afterwards.

Than there are those guys who throw vicious body checks, start fights and act as if winning at all cost in what is a recreational/amateur level is a meaningful accomplishment.
See Rule #4

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #347 on: August 27, 2014, 10:52:21 PM »
This game reminds me of men's beer league Hockey. For the most part its filled with guys who enjoy the game for what it is and can grab a drink with each other afterwards.

Than there are those guys who throw vicious body checks, start fights and act as if winning at all cost in what is a recreational/amateur level is a meaningful accomplishment.
Usually the guy who can barely skate who's acting like NHL scouts are mixed in 5 or 6 people in the stands. Great analogy  :rofl

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2014, 12:55:20 AM »
Hello Kruel,

BnZ is a repeatable move, like a rope or a reversal. It is a move that is only possible with an existing energy advantage.

Energy fighting is a style and one that is widely misunderstood. In fact, one of the most pure forms of energy fighting as it was defined by real fighter pilots was not so much in the vertical as in the horizontal. The ability to utilise a better sustained turn than your pursuing enemy to win an energy advantage from an equal or disadvantaged energy state and only then take the fight vertical to perform the killing blow.

Most people don't ever learn this in this game. Most assume energy fighting is all about vertical advantage. Many assume the simple BnZ tactic is the essence of E fighting. This is false. The essence of E fighting is in gaining the E advantage, not starting with it. I do not mean winning the E advantage on a co-alt DA style merge in the same planes. This is again just a very tiny element of E fighting and one that is only usually possible if the enemy cannot, or chooses not to, conserve all energy on the merge.

If you want to show some real skilled energy fighting then do it starting from an E disadvantage. It is possible and also extremely rewarding.

If you ever change your mind and find the courage to come and fight in the DA/TA with me I would be happy to teach you what I have so far learned about the almost lost art of E fighting. But I fear you will not, because you would hate for your 'I'm an E fighter' crutch to be pulled out from under you as you discover that you know very little about the subject you claim to be so loyally attached to and, in fact, all you are doing is boom and zoom from an existing advantage.

yours respectfully and sincerely,
batfink
S!
He would learn a lot...I learned a lot just watching films of you beating the Crap out of me.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »
No, again you make assumptions. I simply pointed out that his response did not address the key point but rather went on a diatribe about DA vs MA. I made no judgement concerning the superiority of one over the other, my point was that some who do so have a tendency to contradict their position when it suits them.

As a rule I do make a lot of assumptions and inferences that's true but in this case it was a simple question. Some yes. Doesn't result in any epiphany regarding ACM and approaches still.

You're implying that because death is not a risk, that I should treat it less seriously/professionally/what-have-you. That's not an argument, that's an excuse for subpar performance.

Only if you agree in the first place with your criteria of how the game should / must be played   :D

You're making some sort of inverse relationship between enjoyment and playing to win - there is no connection, they are separate items. Do some people associate them? Yes, but someone who has fun losing is still a loser. You are bent on associating the act of having fun with nullifying the fact of a loss, which is almost Freudian in nature. The loss may not matter to the individual, the individual may actually enjoy facing inevitable loss immensely, but it does not change the fact it is still a loss.

Not at all. Evidently some find playing to win enjoyable and the point and others find pitching their skill against more advantageous positions, aircraft and numbers enjoyable and the point. You completely fail to see that others differ by choice and label them as excuse-making weirdos. 'Loser' I mean really bud, if you zoom out from Aces High / combat flight sims for a moment doesn't using that label inside the confines of a computer game take on a relatively ironic and childish meaning?  :rofl   Again your argument only holds within your rigid view of the game's purpose.

The point of air combat is to shoot down your opponent and not to be shot down yourself; to argue otherwise is to disagree with nearly a century of established air combat doctrine. You can certainly do other things in Aces High, but the single aspect that sets it apart is its supposed flight model fidelity to allow for realistic ACM experiences. ACM itself is entirely focused on the win.

To extend the argument to its absurd conclusion you should leave the game after you're shot down because you are dead, no? So you accept respawning as acceptably realistic?

Please explain your losses. Are those sub-par performances on your part? Did you fail to fly correctly or push the risk-reward aspect a bit too much? Was your chain of decisions flawed and dare I say it: human? When you are beaten and are 'the loser' do you acknowledge and give credit to the 'winner' because by your standards he is correct both ideologically and in all round superiority? I mean it can't be the plane or the energy states or the circumstances by your own definition. You never complain at the fact or circumstances of your own demise then, on channel 200 say? You never say, for instance: bah, I've killed you three times to your killing me once?

We've not insisted once that anyone play our way.

Well perhaps I worded that part poorly. You do however insist that regardless of how anyone else plays only your criteria is the one that really matters. In saying that playing your way is the only way to do so you seem to be blind to the variety of aircraft you shoot down and the tactics they are employing while you do so.

...who claimed we had to submit to the community's rules if we wanted to continue our 2v2. We prefer that people play their way. If they want to turnfight in 1 on 1 fights, we'll gladly kill them all day long. You've witnessed this on several occasions now, so why you keep insisting that we are trying to get others to play "our" way is quite confusing. We don't care if anyone plays our way or not.

The objection to the 2 vs 2 was the fuel load which was considered a 'gameable' variable. It wasn't a community discrimination but rather a reasonable interaction one.

Ah so I'm very interested to hear that both you and Kruel did start with turn fighting and presumably were reasonably adept at it. Thank you both for answering that question. Again you will get no argument from me that applying BnZ tactics in a Dicta Boelcke framework is more intelligent, efficient and productive in terms of risk / returns. Any student of ACM will notice the historical shift in both tactics and aircraft design to that paradigm from TnB. So yes if your agenda is to kill everyone and win all of the time then that would be a sensible choice. But it's not quite the point is it? You practice your branch of ACM in an effectively dead compartment of air combat (simulated, sniff). It's of absolutely no practical use at all outside of simulated (sniff) WWII air combat. Turning and burning in a Hurricane is as relevant to the real world as your 'making an absolute killing' is.

I'm sorry you lost your other game which was entirely objective-based and purely competitive. If Aces High is the closest thing available then you'll just have to adapt and extract your enjoyment in your own way. Bruv119 for example and many others seem to have managed to do so. Trying to alter the prevailing culture isn't a very productive approach I should say. I don't think you've convinced anyone so far that you are right. More likely presented yourselves as a rather extreme minority within a minority within a minority it seems to me. You are still welcome here however.

Not sure what to mean from 'BnZ to E-fighting', it must be one of these custom AH rules, BnZ is part of E fighting, but certainly not a separate style.

Not as good as a K4 can climb, though.

As Batfink's excellent post illustrates BnZ is a subset of energy fighting and distinct enough to be categorized separately even in aircraft design terms. A K-4 will out-climb a D-9 in a sustained climb but not in a zoom climb. Differences in energy fighting especially announces in relative building / retaining. This isn't peculiar to the AH culture, it's a matter of historical evolution and design.

Just one final and humorous / ironic observation: you do know how Boelcke died, right?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:00:41 AM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #350 on: August 28, 2014, 01:16:26 AM »
Usually the guy who can barely skate who's acting like NHL scouts are mixed in 5 or 6 people in the stands. Great analogy  :rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuUju1IzLXM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:25:15 AM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #351 on: August 28, 2014, 06:07:56 AM »
If, by "They", you are also referring to me ...

I was not.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2014, 06:39:01 AM »
As a rule I do make a lot of assumptions and inferences that's true but in this case it was a simple question. Some yes. Doesn't result in any epiphany regarding ACM and approaches still.

Nrshida: 

I did not claim my post was an epiphany concerning ACM.  It's an observation about behaviors, which truth be told aligns with some of batfink's observations.  So again, you are making assumptions about my post, but I won't quibble further about it. 
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »
But, I will fight you any time.  Any chance to learn.  <S>
:aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2014, 06:47:06 AM »
Shida, just leave him... he has no clue about what is happening or what youre trying to explain, let it be any clear and simple.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:13 AM »
I just noticed The Damned are ranked #1 squad in fighter this tour, this must mean that they are now the best.    :rock

How the weak shall bow before the mighty.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
I just noticed The Damned are ranked #1 squad in fighter this tour, this must mean that they are now the best.    :rock

Awesome.  How much does that pay again?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »

You wanna have a go eh?

Are we  talking about hockey?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #359 on: August 28, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »

Snailman is the #1 Fighter Squadron all by his lonesome.   Skyyr makes up half....of the #2.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)