Author Topic: if u want to keep players...  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: if u want to keep players...
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
<snip>
One guy even landed on our deacked and vulched field and i killed him, then he pm:ed me and told me i wasnt supposed to kill planes on the ground...  :rofl

Now that is hilarious.   :rofl  Could also explain a little of your frustration too.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:04:09 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
Or if you are me, You have the fight to take on 15 v 1, and end up shooting down 14 of them as the other 1 run's home to tell the rest of his friends so that he can bring more for you to shoot down again

:airplane:

<<S>>

I would really like to see you do it. I'd be willing to bet you can't get 5 let alone 14. The game has changed a lot since the hey-day of the LTAR's. You'll have 8 guys diving on you at once.... heavy fighters as well as lancs.... Defenders don't up to defend like they once did so you would be alone more often than not. It's a different game these days.  :(

Offline LTARwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
I would really like to see you do it. I'd be willing to bet you can't get 5 let alone 14. The game has changed a lot since the hey-day of the LTAR's. You'll have 8 guys diving on you at once.... heavy fighters as well as lancs.... Defenders don't up to defend like they once did so you would be alone more often than not. It's a different game these days.  :(

The issue that i read here is the fact that the team work has left the game, but the thing is, Team work never leaves. its just misplaced and needing someone to take the stand to regroup everyone in focus so they can then work as a "Unit"

I agree times have changed. but the will of one man, is what created mighty nations in the past.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
The issue that i read here is the fact that the team work has left the game, but the thing is, Team work never leaves. its just misplaced and needing someone to take the stand to regroup everyone in focus so they can then work as a "Unit"

I agree times have changed. but the will of one man, is what created mighty nations in the past.

Teamwork is now "the horde". 30-40 players up and head to the nearest base and flatten EVERYTHING in one pass. Half a dozen guys up to defend, but once killed they are regulated to the next base over because the attacked base is flat. By the time you get there from the next base over the they have captured the base and have disappeared to up at some random base farther along the same front if there aren't many people, or jump to the other front if it is more quite there.

Should the defenders get lucky and catch the goon/M3 the attack stops and again disappears to up at some other unpopulated place. TRhe horde doesn't want to FIGHT for the base, they just want the base.

Sure you can find the odd fight that bubbles up now and then, but nothing like the old days where fighting FOR or defending a base was what the fun was all about.

Offline LTARwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »
So why not have a counter force ready to take on the attacking force ahead of time. make a iron wall of planes ready to react.. yes i know this sounds hard or even impossible but in reality that is what happened in real war events was they have spotter craft separated out and they would reform to take out the threat.

I'm just saying, Yes while the ( Horde ) may be hard to control or deal with. There are ways around it people are refusing to see.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »

Nah I wouldn't really say that considering the "hoard" he has mentioned. That is still classified as teamwork.

The problem is that people are too afraid to die. So they won't go defend the base because they don't have the advantage.  People around only fly BnZ planes so they know no defense tactics, they never learn planes that are great for defending bases, people do more scared flying than actual fighter flying to at least shoot a couple of them down. So when no one defends correctly, it becomes pretty simple to start hoarding bases and getting vulch kills.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline LTARwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
... I might take up a offer a friend gave me of giving me his joystick and a month of this game. JUST to see how " Bad " it truely is.

I think everyone is OVER reacting. becuase like you said, no one knows how to truely base defend anymore.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
So why not have a counter force ready to take on the attacking force ahead of time. make a iron wall of planes ready to react.. yes i know this sounds hard or even impossible but in reality that is what happened in real war events was they have spotter craft separated out and they would reform to take out the threat.

I'm just saying, Yes while the ( Horde ) may be hard to control or deal with. There are ways around it people are refusing to see.

That's assuming you have a significant number of people who are willing to loiter.  Very, very few current players are willing to do that.  It's either attack an enemy base or up to defend when it's already too late.  Also, if you had a defensive patrol up, the horde would never come because they would see bardar.  If there's defense, the attack will not come from the air.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »

There is no incentive for them TO defend, also as DmonSlyr says they don't want to die/hurt their score.

The game is suppose to be fun. While Im not one of the "top guns" here I think Im above average, and I will defend, but after awhile it gets tiring getting thrown back to the tower so often. So you have a crew that jumps as quickly from one base to the next trying to slow the horde but after awhile gets frustrated and they break up and move off to something else.

Next you might say pork the bases! Sure thats almost as much fun as running supplies to HQ because some low life NOEed his way around to drop DAR every 30-45 minutes or so this past weekend.

I've been here for over 11 years and have seen it all...... well most of it. Between the lower numbers, players more interested in score/winning the war, and afraid to die fights are a rare things these days as compared to the old days.  

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
So you have a crew that jumps as quickly from one base to the next trying to slow the horde but after awhile gets frustrated and they break up and move off to something else.

That totally reminds me of the days when I was new to AH, in 2005/2006

There was much more rapid assault of 'hordes', mostly NOE,(easier settings) back then, which captured bases by the dozen. The majority my gameplay was hopping in my Temp from field to field, trying to stop the human waves. It was just like you described above, just almost 10 years ago ;)

In 2006 you also had, for example, the rook LCA (unlike today it was a multi-squad alliance), which was shutting down whole front lines in huge bomber raids (that's why I left rookland back then and went to Knight).

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
Yeah I've def noticed a decline in huge furballs since I've been back since 2009. Mostly its a drop in the player base as well as, lack of people wanting to simply fight. It has turned more strategic than actually wanting to have fighter base competition.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2014, 04:47:53 PM »
More and more over time the focus of activity in the ma has been shifting to base capture.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »

And so it is, was, and ever will be within the experience that is JG 11.  Though most nights, and tonight being squad night...the worst...we feel alone.  The game play, other than FSO, and the few rare other gems has digressed to a kind of sad  quasi version of Risk- using WWII game pieces, where the least opposition to your rolling the game board the better.  Fighting used to be the crux of the matter, now...it the action of last resort.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline LTARwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
<<S>> Stampf Its been along time.

How is SHawk, doing ?