Author Topic: Cannons  (Read 1176 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Cannons
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
Because the browning .50 already existed, there was ample supply. The support and supply chain was already in place. But really the reason serious effort in the US wasn't put into cannon armament at the time was because, most importantly, the browning .50 was good enough. If it really wasn't good enough the americans would've made cannons work and put them in their planes. Perfection is the enemy of good enough.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
Because the browning .50 already existed, there was ample supply. The support and supply chain was already in place. But really the reason serious effort in the US wasn't put into cannon armament at the time was because, most importantly, the browning .50 was good enough. If it really wasn't good enough the americans would've made cannons work and put them in their planes. Perfection is the enemy of good enough.
Well, we did build something like a million 20mm cannons that, due to our insistence on not taking the British advice, had a very high jamming rate.  We even made something like 700,000 rounds of ammo for the MG151/20 when we considered putting it into production to use as our 20mm cannon.  The US Navy wanted cannons from the start, but due to the jamming rate had to use the BMG instead.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
Well, we did build something like a million 20mm cannons that, due to our insistence on not taking the British advice, had a very high jamming rate.  We even made something like 700,000 rounds of ammo for the MG151/20 when we considered putting it into production to use as our 20mm cannon.  The US Navy wanted cannons from the start, but due to the jamming rate had to use the BMG instead.

IIRC, the Navy also had issues with the cannon icing up, as well. The first F4U-1Cs had a major problem with this until the heaters were fixed.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.