Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 515 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Oculus Rift
« on: September 26, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
Ok - here is the question I have about the Oculus rift - is the entire video signal of the 3D gaming driven by the headset or does it require a good video card to drive the 3D and the Rift just takes care of the pano-motion and drives the signal to the headset?

Reason why I ask is that in a couple of months I'm purchasing a laptop for my oldest son and I need to find out if I focus on the video card enclosed or do I focus on processing power?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »
Ok - here is the question I have about the Oculus rift - is the entire video signal of the 3D gaming driven by the headset or does it require a good video card to drive the 3D and the Rift just takes care of the pano-motion and drives the signal to the headset?

Reason why I ask is that in a couple of months I'm purchasing a laptop for my oldest son and I need to find out if I focus on the video card enclosed or do I focus on processing power?

Rift is only the display and head tracker, the computer is doing all the work. Get the GTX970 it has insane bang for buck. You'll need an i5 cpu minimum too.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone