Author Topic: Comp specs  (Read 1224 times)

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Comp specs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
Truth to be said, it's a mediocre gaming rig. The processor might do well enough, but both it and the video card are from the lower half of their series. Upgrading wouldn't be cheap, as one of the reviewing customers said the PSU is only 300W. For the same price you could build a much more capable rig.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
Truth to be said, it's a mediocre gaming rig. The processor might do well enough, but both it and the video card are from the lower half of their series. Upgrading wouldn't be cheap, as one of the reviewing customers said the PSU is only 300W. For the same price you could build a much more capable rig.

When I saw the section 'customers who bought this also bought' I expected to see some hemp rope and lube lol.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
I spec'd 2 budget rigs that should run AH pretty doggone good.

The experts will know better though

A little more expensive but much better performance
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GDW1W
Nvidia 750 with 2 gigs of memory
Intel Core i7 3.6 ghz cpu
8 gigs of 2130Mhz Ram

A little more expensive than the rig linked above
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GDW1M\
Nvidia 750 with 2 gigs of memory
Intel I5 3.5 ghz cpu
16 gigs 1866Mhz Ram

Either link will open the appropriate configurator, you can play with any of the options for any of the components in the tower.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:27:43 PM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
Any good suggestions for around 700? 700 is is about my max.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »

I've got a tower with fans that I'd be willing to donate to the cause. I'd eat the freight.

It's one of these.
http://www.apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=X-TSJST-BK

You'd have to order a power supply, motherboard/cpu/cooler/ram HD/SSD and videocard.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:40:51 PM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
If he got this computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1652101

And added this videocard would he need anything else?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

I didn't see a cpu cooler in the first bundle.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:06:46 PM by Rob52240 »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 11:42:47 PM »
I could build the computer ready for him if you werent overseas.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »
Rob, you didn't calculate any operating system in your suggestions. I believe the OP would need one since it was included in his first post.

Neat tower. I've never actually understood the meaning of a front door panel, but that's just my opinion.

For what it's worth, it looks like Cyberpower might not be the cheapest place to buy things and their sortiment is quite small. OTOH if they build the compilation for the price, it might be worth it.

And yet another edit: BowHTR, do you have anything you could use for the new build to cut costs? Especially the operating system would help a lot concerning your budget.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:03:06 AM by Bizman »
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
Good point. 

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »

Bow,

Check out NCIX. com,they sell complete builds,parts,custom builds,etc. if you're not comfortable building a comp yourself,they will build and test run the system for a nominal charge.Although you will need to buy an OS for them to run the test!

They price match and are competive with newegg,tiger,etc.

I've gotten several computers from them,the offer call in trouble shooting and seem to do a reasonable job at pleasing the customer.

They may just a ready built "gamer" unit in that price range,it sure wont hurt to look!

:salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
Just for a finger practice I compiled this set, likely to run AH quite well with decent eye candy. $10 can be cut out here and there by choosing an Intel reference cooler or slower memory, or even a lesser quality PSU, each of which would be saving pennies in a wrong place. On the other hand it also has some upgrading potential, getting a better processor might give a boost when the budget allows. Also, I calculated a case although in this case the case will come from a generous donator.  :salute

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DxzY23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DxzY23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4370 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($159.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Atlas ATX-295WB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $710.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-06 11:35 EDT-0400

Kotisivuni

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »
They both are nice I like the one with the one in the NZXT case as it has awesome airflow and is a sturdy case. The only thing is it doesn't say what type of mother board it has.. and the video card is lower tier type and might give you problems later down the line. With a little saving you will be able to upgrade you vid card and maybe your PSU and have that system last a long time/

LanwDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:24 PM »
They both are nice I like the one with the one in the NZXT case as it has awesome airflow and is a sturdy case. The only thing is it doesn't say what type of mother board it has.. and the video card is lower tier type and might give you problems later down the line. With a little saving you will be able to upgrade you vid card and maybe your PSU and have that system last a long time/

LanwDart

He should contact an independent computer store and ask them to custom build a computer with proper parts for him if he can't build it himself. Thats the only way to get a ready computer without being ripped off.