Author Topic: DOW minus 329 points-another recession ?!  (Read 3562 times)

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Re: DOW minus 329 points-another recession ?!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
Depends.  Is it sustainable?

Only if no one tells.... 

Brooke, thanks for the point of view.  I'm in the same boat and pretty concerned about asset allocation with such a large debt burden and regulatory overload etc.  I've kept most of my liquid assets in stocks and use trailing stops and occasionally puts to moderate risk but it's overall a difficult time.  Where are you with thinking about balancing your overall assets? 

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
"Except that the Fed controls this:"

Actually, it doesn't. "Maintains", "influences", and "controls" are completely different obligations. If there's one good thing about fractional reserve policy is it don't let the tail wag the dog.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2014, 11:15:47 AM »
Does anybody know anything about running a donut shop? Seriously. I have been somewhat assuming that the stock market is being sustained at its current level by easy money and that at some point it won't be. Maybe now maybe not. I know nothing about donuts from the sales side but I can think of a good location and I figure coffee and donuts are a small luxury that people are willing to get no matter the economy.
Pies not kicks.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
Capitalist :rofl

Lots of daft people who invest and complain when they lose it :rofl

Guy at work bought 4 houses to refurb and needed a eye operation, he had no money to pay for it :rofl

Do you need a butler Morf?.

Benjemin Franklin on the note looks like he has been shot down by a Brewster  :rofl

Nah Zack I dont need a butler,I have a wife!

:salute

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »
"Except that the Fed controls this:"

Actually, it doesn't. "Maintains", "influences", and "controls" are completely different obligations. If there's one good thing about fractional reserve policy is it don't let the tail wag the dog.

I see.  It depends on what the definition of "is" is for you, eh?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »
Only if no one tells.... 

Brooke, thanks for the point of view.  I'm in the same boat and pretty concerned about asset allocation with such a large debt burden and regulatory overload etc.  I've kept most of my liquid assets in stocks and use trailing stops and occasionally puts to moderate risk but it's overall a difficult time.  Where are you with thinking about balancing your overall assets? 

You're welcome.

I'm not sure I'm the best guy to ask for investing advice in the types of markets we've had recently, though.  My mix of investments has drastically underperformed the S&P 500.  For a while, I've been about 1/3 stocks, 1/3 gold/silver, 1/3 cash, which is a bad choice if the stock market is rocking, gold is declining, and cash gives no interest (i.e., recent history).

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »
ebola, isil, hell invest in body bags.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »
Does anybody know anything about running a donut shop? Seriously. I have been somewhat assuming that the stock market is being sustained at its current level by easy money and that at some point it won't be. Maybe now maybe not. I know nothing about donuts from the sales side but I can think of a good location and I figure coffee and donuts are a small luxury that people are willing to get no matter the economy.

From what I hear, donut shops need something else to bring in customers and make a profit. Just a donut and coffee shop only seem to go out of business rather quickly. Not the big chain stores, but the mom and pop ones
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »
Cool!  For a while, I've been interested in what it takes to create a small farm.  Could I talk to you about that sometime?

Sure!  Be aware though... it's not a part-time, leisurely kind of thing.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »
For a while, I've been interested in what it takes to create a small farm. 

(I apologize in advance.)

Well, first you start with a big farm..............
Pies not kicks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2014, 12:32:26 PM »

Oh c'mon.... some folks don't mind pig poop on their boots.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
Right now the stocks you should be buying into is anything to do with ebola.  Ebola has scared a lot of people.  Companies that make medical hazmat suits and some chemical companys at the moment are fairly good.

One other investment option is cyber money. Right now the Bitcoin markets is getting to the point where it might be worth buying in. It has fell from the upper 600 down to mid 300s.  Not sure if I would start scaling in a lot but I have scaled in a little.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »

Well, first you start with a big farm..............

:rofl

That's a good one, and very relevant to me.  :aok

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »
Security products

X ray machines

Bomb detection equipment

Body scanners

Its the future
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Here is my well, uh, young opinion,

The stock market is not what is going to kill our economy, unless massive amounts of money are being withdrawn from the market for no other reason than full out fear. As of now, the market has been doing exceedingly well over the past few years considering trends. But if you ask me, it simply is not our stock market ATM that is causing stagflation.

It is the presidents and CEOs-Boards of companies that will not raise our living wages. This to me is what is causing mass economic turmoil among Americans as a whole. Any business owner who pays their employees in today's age less than $25,000 a year to people over 25 for full time positions should be arrested for slavery.

People in america cannot live anymore because businesses just aren't paying enough. $30,000 a year for a college graduate is horse Crap. People should not be forced to have to live with a roommate because they can't even pay full rent price on a small apartment.

Check this out, $30,000 a year getting paid 2 times a month yields around $990 every 2 weeks after a 24% tax. You will be paying $500 a month in taxes. Now, for a recent graduate they expect you to pay ~300 a month in student loans on a 6% interest. That is $800 you are giving to the government  a month for a person in their early 20s. Let's see, Thats 1980 a month -300 That leaves you with 1680 for the rest of the month. A normal still crappy place to live cost around 1200 a month plus $170 for bills. That leaves $310 left for the month. I haven't even factored in food nor gas, insurance, car payment, and fun expenses.

You have kids making that little, good luck.

Now, when you realize that Half of Americans in this country make under $30,000 a year. While many have student loans AND kids, It is kind of easy to see why our country is turning into a crap hole one year after the next. People can't afford to do anything in this country which means they aren't spending money in the economy. People can't afford to do crap because employers won't raise the average living salery to 60,000 a year. Our employers are taking advantage of working class citizens, making us slaves for $30,000 a year working 8-10 hours a day and can't get out of the mentality that we don't live in the 90s anymore.

The worst part is that the corporations don't even trickle extra earnings down to the employees so while big corps are raking in money for their "business" it has done nothing to ecomically benefit our middle and working class folk.

This is why our country is messed up right now. I'm all for capitalism, but when you place responsibility of living standards in the hands of our employers, they are the ones who control the economy as a whole for the rest of the hard working 8-10 5 days a week slavery they make us partake in.

It's no wonder people are losing their minds. We simply can't have fun anymore, and we are scared to death of losing a job because we aren't working hard enough yet we sit here day in and out working for these people and they cant even value their citizens in the work place.

This needs to change or else.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:16:48 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion