Author Topic: ACES HIGH DC Player Meet 201?  (Read 9068 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: ACES HIGH DC Player Meet 201?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
I'm not planning on booking a hotel so if the breakfast is too early, I may end up skipping it. I don't want to wake up at 3 AM just to be there on time (especially since I need to drive back home that same day).

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
Great idea.  I am in the area and I love going there.

Here are my thoughts (not in any order):

1) I think that with groups of 20 or more (and a minimum of 2 weeks advance notice) they will set up a tour for you (and it is free I believe).  I have been on their general tours and have been impressed by the knowledge of the tour volunteers.
(By the way, does anybody work or volunteer there?  :headscratch:)

2) I think they post their upcoming exhibitions 3 months ahead of time, so we should check in February?  http://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/coming/

3) I think that the date is about right.  Weather can be good, the public and private schools are done with their spring breaks (museums get crowded during spring break), it is past tax day and I think a Saturday is a good choice.

4) The one issue that pisses me off at Udvar-Hazy is the parking fee scam.  I wish that they would get rid of it and replace it with the regular admissions fee (which in DC is zero).  If cost is an issue for anyone, they should plan on car pooling with someone to the museum (They do not allow walk-ins).

5) BTW a must download here: http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/mall/floor-plans.cfm

6)  Did you know that there is a Hooters just down the street?   :angel:  Just saying.  or even better: http://www.scout.me/breweries-and-brewpubs--near--chantilly-va

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
4) The one issue that pisses me off at Udvar-Hazy is the parking fee scam.  I wish that they would get rid of it and replace it with the regular admissions fee (which in DC is zero).  If cost is an issue for anyone, they should plan on car pooling with someone to the museum (They do not allow walk-ins).

I can't find any information on where to park, suppose we could deal with that when the time comes though.

If this is going to be a thing, any chance we could get the thread stickied until it's over?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »
I can't find any information on where to park, suppose we could deal with that when the time comes though.

If this is going to be a thing, any chance we could get the thread stickied until it's over?

Request to Sticky sent.

I am perfectly fine with any Saturday date really, but the proposed date works for me! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
Yes, my father and I would most likely come to this, We live about 4 hours away in SE Virginia. If we come, we'll end up driving up friday after work and staying til sunday afternoon.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
I live 20 mins from downtown, but me being able to make it is a very low %%.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »
Guys,

Keep the inputs and ideas coming. This is great. We are going to have a great event.

We need to nail down the date. Does everyone one like the Saturday April 18, 2015 date?
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
hey smarmiam as a mashole it is my duty to now turn around and ask you if i am welcome since it now seems like this is actually an all-systems-go kind of thing :devil haha buddy just teasin ya
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:41:18 PM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »
hey smarmiam as a mashole it is my duty to now turn around and ask you if i am welcome since it now seems like this is actually an all-systems-go kind of thing :devil haha buddy just teasin ya

You drinkin?
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
Yea just some coffee why bro?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 12:29:55 AM »

we should car pool....

im not far from mass....and I want to go. :aok

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
I'm all for it man, aces high is like my life and my brothers, I'd like to hangout and meet the guys, it's rt's gig tho so if its ok with him I'd be up for it

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 05:56:56 AM »

http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/directions.cfm#parking_refunds

"Parking:
Public parking is $15. 

Parking Refunds: Refunds are available if you are just dropping off or picking up passengers. All drivers will be required to pay the $15 parking fee and will receive a time stamped parking ticket. After passenger(s) are dropped off at the Museum entrance, the driver may return to the parking gate house and receive a full refund upon exit. This must occur within 30 minutes of the time stamped on the ticket. Visitors returning to the parking gate house after the 30 minute drop off period will not be eligible for a parking refund.

Free Parking is Available For:
All cars arriving after 4:00 pm.
 All buses (the parking lot accommodates 28 buses)"

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 06:39:41 AM »
Not that I am against a DC Meeting or anything and I think it is a great Ideal I been trying to work something out for a while for a similar east coast meet and was looking for ways to make this work. This event is held every year and always the first weekend in June there are many things that take place from Friday to Sunday along with Mock battle's , Airplane rides (if ya can foot the bill for a 30 minute ride) and this has become pretty regular thing with some of the PA guys we try and hook up each year out there and this is also a very good chance to get up and close to the old warbirds and some vets that still come and talk about the war and what part they did.

Just throwing this out and there are plenty of Hotel's in that area that would also be able to accommodate if we wanted to bring Pc's and hook up kinda like the Old AW Gatherings, It is a alot of work and planning to get something like this rolling and help from other's.

Here is the Info for WW2 Weekend in Reading Pa
http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Molsman
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »
Yea just some coffee why bro?

:rofl

Craz you're pretty funny. You are certainly welcome to join us all for this event. We still need ideas for a dinner of some sort. You have any?

btw, this is our event not mine. Ownership is evenly dispersed throughout the group. This is your event just as much as it is mine.

:salute
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:59:29 AM by swareiam »