Author Topic: benzo's  (Read 752 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
benzo's
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »
Not the car.

Valium (diazepam), xanax (alprazolam), klonipin, ativan...

Benzodiazepines (sedative hypnotic) have been around ~50 yrs and are one of the best/worst choices for remedy of their intended actions.

Problem: they are very effective and a good choice, until they are not and the patient now has dependence (also high abuse potential).

They are prescribed for everything from pms to panic disorder & sedation, I've even heard one say the Dr. said take one when a headache won't go away; that's not very wise to say to someone who smokes and drinks (you think?)

When it was discovered that barbiturates were not a good family for the narrow therapeutic range (respiratory depression), it just so happened a new drug was being created, iirc.; Valium. 

Point: It's been ~50 yrs, benzo heavy dependence/addictions have withdrawal side effects just like alcohol; seizure/death happen from not detoxing appropriately. Iiuc it works as antagonist to epinephrine and in conjunction with GABA by increasing GABA...so why haven't the drug Co's made a better drug? Maybe one that dependence both psy/physiological doesn't begin so soon and so strong; maybe one that won't kill ppl from high dose withdrawal.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: benzo's
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
I heard, (urban legend?) that you could get addicted in as little as a weeks time. I had Valium when my wisdom teeth were pulled,(chisels drills gore,) and I can see how great/dangerous the stuff is. Post surgery the world was a fantastic place, not just no worries but NO WORRIES EVER POSSIBLE, CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT WORRY MEANS. Post post surgery was more like "who the hell stroked a wrecking bar against my mouth, spit, spit, spit.

As to why there isn't something better, I think that the phrase "no free lunch" might be as iron clad as gravity.
Pies not kicks.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
These types of drugs to suit anxiety or depression are just terrible. So many faults to the brain occur when they drugs get taken daily. Not to mention, if you ever known or seen people on these drugs, they lose all sense of feeling and empathy, become almost a zombie, and forget just about everything that happens during the course of the drug.

Also, drugs like these highly influence Brian decisions for the worst. After people take them for months, stopping use of the drug cold turkey leads to a terrible widthdraw and can lead to suicide.

These drugs that create a false since of happiness are terrible for the brain and your mental state. Robin Williams is a great example of what happens when your brain completely depends on drugs for the source of happiness. It is dangerous.

The worst part is we still aren't certain of the long term effects. Some scientist have claimed these types of drugs cause birth defects and autism. Some scientist claim they lead to other brain disease in older patients.

Taking 1 every month may be okay.  But if you use these type of drugs on a daily bases, I'd be real careful! I know some people that actually do need it because their brain does not function or produce the chemicals it needs, but I still would never trust them behind the wheel.

Please be aware that drinking on these types of drugs is extremely dangerous for your personal self and others around you. You are not the same person and you will not remember anything that happens.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
If you want to read a good, funny story about anxiety http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/01/surviving_anxiety/355741/ Makes me wonder how this cat was so successful, and what a pita his condition is.
Pies not kicks.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
Valium pfft... real men take oxycodon.  :noid
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »
so why haven't the drug Co's made a better drug?

Wait.  I don't understand the question.  

Are you asking why a for-profit corporation, whose only purpose of existence is to generate maximum possible profit for its stockholders, would attempt to reformulate a commonly prescribed drug that quickly becomes addictive and is very hard to stop; to voluntarily seek to remove those highly profitable properties?  

Or were you joking?

Those are really bad meds.  I think doctors proscribe them much too easily.  I would view them only last resort option.  Only if you had an actual chemical imbalance, or were in such a deep crisis state that it was a safety issue.  I've had doctors offer a script before I can even finish my first sentence.  

Regular strenuous exercise has actually been shown to produce results comparable to SSRI's.  The down side it usually takes a lot longer for the effects to accumulate. Weeks possibly; but without the serious downside risks.  yeah, I know, I have difficulty finding the time too.

Last couple of years I've gotten heavy into meditation.  That can be helpful if taken seriously.  But again, its not a quick fix and can take months to turn things around.

(Aside: this is a fun watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fcqrNO7so)

The bad news is; life is a beotch.  The good news is; it will be over sooner than you think.  ;)

-Wab

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:56:55 PM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
Not the car.

Valium (diazepam), xanax (alprazolam), klonipin, ativan...

Benzodiazepines (sedative hypnotic) have been around ~50 yrs and are one of the best/worst choices for remedy of their intended actions.

Problem: they are very effective and a good choice, until they are not and the patient now has dependence (also high abuse potential).

They are prescribed for everything from pms to panic disorder & sedation, I've even heard one say the Dr. said take one when a headache won't go away; that's not very wise to say to someone who smokes and drinks (you think?)

When it was discovered that barbiturates were not a good family for the narrow therapeutic range (respiratory depression), it just so happened a new drug was being created, iirc.; Valium. 

Point: It's been ~50 yrs, benzo heavy dependence/addictions have withdrawal side effects just like alcohol; seizure/death happen from not detoxing appropriately. Iiuc it works as antagonist to epinephrine and in conjunction with GABA by increasing GABA...so why haven't the drug Co's made a better drug? Maybe one that dependence both psy/physiological doesn't begin so soon and so strong; maybe one that won't kill ppl from high dose withdrawal.

you ever wonder that we have been drinking some kind of alcoholic liquid or other for thousands of years and yet nobody has come up with an alcoholic formula that is non addictive yet?

IF a company ever came up with a drug that would be similar to xanax but without the addiction or side effects, think of all the billions of dollars that it would make.  think of all the other drugs that it would replace. it would be sold over the counter, heck I bet stores would just give it away like candy.  what?  you think you look fat in that dress?  here honey take this pill, you look wonderful and so thin :rock :rock :rock :rock

but perhaps the only answer is that they cant.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »
Newest anti-anxiety medications may be based off Tylenol.  http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/2013/05/08/tomorrows-anti-anxiety-drug-is-tylenol/  Benzodiazepines are basically liquid alcohol, and cause the same long term damage as alcohol to the brain.  But for people with severe anxiety disorders, they are needed. 
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
Yes gentlemen, you have summed it up pretty well.

I'm referring to mainly benzo's for anxiety, e.g. anxiolytics.

The for profit situation is a difficult situation; however drug Co's are supposed to R&D to be the one that comes up with the newest/better version of the old drug or replacement.

If Roche (just an example) was the one that found the replacement for benzodiazepines, imagine the profit with that patent...

Part of the problem is also that understanding of the brain's chemistry is really, what, an endeavor of ~100 yrs?

Barbiturates were ~taken off the market because ppl were dying/therapeutic index was so narrow. I'd say if we re-defined therapeutic index to include risk of dependency and abuse, benzo's would get a much narrower rating than current.

The hell is that once a person is dependent on the benzo now they have a problem they didn't originally: rebound anxiety and watching the clock syndrome where they have anxiety increasing but it's not time for the next dose...

If you read forums re: benzo's there are so many horror stories, it's hard to see how we should continue to accept this reality of it's the best med available.

Zofran/Ondansetron is one that was originally developed as anti-nausea (Chemo) and has potential as an anxiolytic, but then there is the FDA and it's not approved for anti-anxiety.

Psych wards and long term care facilities are full of patients on benzo's long term; management of symptoms caused by the drug become a concern; "no free lunch" as you said.

hmmmm
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
Had pre-surgery Valium once.  All it did was make me feel heavy. Percocet makes me want to ralph... hard to get addicted to that.  Xanax put me out cold in record time.. I was amazed what an itty bitty sliver of a pill could do to a 220lbs dude... that stuff's gotta be dangerous.

I avoid it all.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
This is the exact F&*#ing reason I refuse to take the watermelon via prescription...

Right now docs recommend that I should be on 6 Vicodin's a day... What good would that be? I wouldn't be able to work with that much watermelon in my system all the time  :uhoh
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:40 PM »
Say's the guy with "stoner" attached to his name.

These types of drugs to suit anxiety or depression are just terrible. So many faults to the brain occur when they drugs get taken daily. Not to mention, if you ever known or seen people on these drugs, they lose all sense of feeling and empathy, become almost a zombie, and forget just about everything that happens during the course of the drug.

Also, drugs like these highly influence Brian decisions for the worst. After people take them for months, stopping use of the drug cold turkey leads to a terrible widthdraw and can lead to suicide.

These drugs that create a false since of happiness are terrible for the brain and your mental state. Robin Williams is a great example of what happens when your brain completely depends on drugs for the source of happiness. It is dangerous.

The worst part is we still aren't certain of the long term effects. Some scientist have claimed these types of drugs cause birth defects and autism. Some scientist claim they lead to other brain disease in older patients.

Taking 1 every month may be okay.  But if you use these type of drugs on a daily bases, I'd be real careful! I know some people that actually do need it because their brain does not function or produce the chemicals it needs, but I still would never trust them behind the wheel.

Please be aware that drinking on these types of drugs is extremely dangerous for your personal self and others around you. You are not the same person and you will not remember anything that happens.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 12:49:31 AM »
I'm working on my PharmD currently with an interest in design and development. Anyone who has ever studied neoro knows how rediculously complex it is. Many of the medications around today for these disorders weren't specifically "designed" to do what they do, instead they were discovered by accident or are found in plants, fungi, etc. I'm not sure about benzos but consider LSD and opium. Not to say no companies are trying, but to spend $billions to make some miracle drug that works on a body system with incalcuble variables and connections is a bit foolish. Instead, if I were in charge of a pharmaceutical company it would be more cost effective to develop another derivative of a benzodiazepine.

Offline Sombra

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 06:55:26 AM »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
Best antidepressant: exercise?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-tian-dayton/exercise-the-best-antidep_b_106683.html

I call it the placebo effect.   How many people you know that exercise regularly and yet suffer from depression.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.