Author Topic: Jugs  (Read 1351 times)

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
Jugs
« on: November 10, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »
Hey all! Looking for some reading material between all the jugs in game and what each one can or can't do. How similar/dissimilar are they from model to model and such. Need a better idea of what the limits of the plane are and how to use them to my advantage. Also if there are any trainers in particular that could walk me through them that'd be great, but really just looking for some numbers etc to look at and compare.

Thanks!  :aok

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Re: Jugs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:45:56 AM »
Get with Jarbo in game.  He knows every thing there is to know about the P-47 in Aces High.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »
I'm assuming you've checked out the AH wiki page, but here it is if you haven't:  http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Aircraft_of_Aces_High_II

I've always found the info on there to be a pretty solid foundation when trying to learn new planes. 

:salute
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
how to use them to my advantage

Assuming you've loaded up a jug & know the feel and rate of climb.  Go for the smallest 6 gun package with 50% gas.  Let her autoclimb out on wep.  It's a good discovery if you've not tried it. 

Good Luck!

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
If you're engaging another fighter with a jug, you definitely need to maintain an energy advantage at all times.

If you get low and slow in a jug it does have excellent flap turning capabilities but it's sheer weight means that once you're slow it's going to take you a lot longer to get speed and alt back than the red planes.

Taking six guns instead of 8 helps out like Hap said.  I always go with the smaller ammo load but can't let go of the extra two guns.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
Taking the 6 gun load out in a jug is like taking a shower with your socks on.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »

. . . and flying a mustang. :lol

Eight guns, big ammo package, then shoot anything that is red.

LilMak is real good in all of the P47s.  Maybe he will give you the straight skinny.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »
Haha yeah part of the appeal of the jug is hitting something with 8 M2s...hitting them however is another thing entirely so taking large load.   :joystick:

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »
What is your in-game name?
Next time I see you on I can let you ride me with me so I can show you a couple of techniques with the P47 I've learned over the years that they don't teach ya in school. It really depends on if you want to use it for dive bombing or primarily just for dog fighting.

Riding in my plane will be a much better help than trying to be explain it.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
In all the years I've played, I've never taken the six gun option, not once, I've flown all the jugs in the game, I fly the M for fighter most of the time now and the D-40 or D-25 for attack, In mid war I fly the D-11,  that's where I learned the Jug,, I can help you out with it but there are others much better than me,, One thing I've learned about it tho,, set your stick up for it and it won't work well with most other planes, at least that has been my experience,, that's why I fly it almost exclusively .
Most missions, I take off full of fuel in the M and switch to MAIN fuel tank at take off, this will give you about 29 minutes of fuel in the main tank and a ten minute reserve in the AUX,  the JUG is bad about getting a main fuel tank hit and losing all its gas real fast or at least it used to be,, if it's not a long flight I might go with 3/4 bag and still switch as soon as I'm in the plane, this gives you a 2.5 minute reserve roughly, NONE of this applies to the N   it doesn't seem to have the same problem,, no more than half a tank will do the job if your in it! I don't fly the N much because of My stick settings though!
climb up high, 18 to 20k and wait, remember to cut power on the way down to targets,try not to go below 10k before returning to your perch, she will outrun almost anything to the ground! at high speed she turns best, once your slow, your toast if you can't find an exit, for a while!!!  after a while you'll learn it, then you'll pop some unsuspecting spit 16 and that's a good feeling.
Ammo, Seadog, Jarbo,  and a few others are very good in the JUG,, anytime you can wing up with those guys, your in good hands, I'll fly with you if you like,, we can go to the TA if you want,, I'm the GV instructor but I know enough about the JUG to help you out I bet!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
It really depends on if you want to use it for dive bombing or primarily just for dog fighting.
Taking bombs in a jug is like taking a shower with your bra on.
Bombing is what B-38s are for.

P47 = 8 guns, no bombs, no questions.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
Taking bombs in a jug is like taking a shower with your bra on.
Bombing is what B-38s are for.

P47 = 8 guns, no bombs, no questions.

:lol :lol :lol
 :cheers:
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »
Frenchy once told me "Real men take 8".
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
Haha!  :lol

Thanks for the responses fellas! My in game ID is Kassill. I'll try and get with some of you at some point. Spent the last two days flying with some 56th sticks so I'm making some progress.  :joystick:

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 05:23:41 AM »

Amen !! 

And while on the subject of load outs, I take every damned bullet I can..   

Wrngway