Author Topic: Losing the war  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Losing the war
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
    I think it's a decline of the "Defenders". Many seem to care less about the war, their country and only their fight. There was much furballing last night and I tried to get some rooks to defend a base I was at and "0" players came to help. After getting overwhelmed I gave up, let them have it.
    When you put up no resistance to attacks you will get rolled quickly. Some argue attack and don't bother to defend.  :headscratch:

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »
    I think it's a decline of the "Defenders". Many seem to care less about the war, their country and only their fight. There was much furballing last night and I tried to get some rooks to defend a base I was at and "0" players came to help. After getting overwhelmed I gave up, let them have it.
    When you put up no resistance to attacks you will get rolled quickly. Some argue attack and don't bother to defend.  :headscratch:

This is the reason why maps need to be smaller and bases need to be closer together. Only slightly, like 17 miles apart, instead of 25. It will make a difference.  People would see where you are talking about Slade and will up from a near by base to help defend. Not saying the other bases were close/far, but either A. The friendly bases were too far to help defend the bases with alt, or the map was too big for players to really be concerned about losing the base.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »
    Some argue attack and don't bother to defend.  :headscratch:

the answer is to attack.
But they attack the wrong places where the enemy isnt instead of attacking where its needed. Where the enemy is attacking from
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
the answer is to attack.
But they attack the wrong places where the enemy isnt instead of attacking where its needed. Where the enemy is attacking from

As this game only counts the simple number bases to determine a victory, it's very much rewarding to smash undefended bases, as it allows you to capture more bases in less time.
Hope that a few fools defend your field while you take the majority of players and do a surprise smash&grab of a remote Vbase.

That's the strategy of AH.
All of it  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »

which is what makes the armchair generals in our game so comical.. sometimes I wonder if they really do consider themselves great military minds.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
As this game only counts the simple number bases to determine a victory, it's very much rewarding to smash undefended bases, as it allows you to capture more bases in less time.
Hope that a few fools defend your field while you take the majority of players and do a surprise smash&grab of a remote Vbase.

\
Agreed.

I still feel the reintroduction of the old Zone base strat system would help. Some bases were obviously more important then others and as such people would actually defend them.

But still. the single best way to protect your field is to turn the tables and attack the field they are attacking from. When you spend all your time defending over your own field the outcome is almost certainly inevitable that you will loose that base
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
which is what makes the armchair generals in our game so comical.. sometimes I wonder if they really do consider themselves great military minds.

Imma lead my fellow chess pieces to viktoree! All your bases are belong to us! Leeeeeroy Jenkins!

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
\
Agreed.

I still feel the reintroduction of the old Zone base strat system would help. Some bases were obviously more important then others and as such people would actually defend them.

But still. the single best way to protect your field is to turn the tables and attack the field they are attacking from. When you spend all your time defending over your own field the outcome is almost certainly inevitable that you will loose that base

I don't think the old zone system would work these days. You don't see people try to defend or fight when your about to lose the last base or two the other side needs to win the war. They think its better to try and capture bases faster to even the numbers.

Porking runs and fighting a defending war NEVER enters most players minds. Just hammer undefended base after undefended base as fast as you can.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
How often do you read "I'm tired of all this defending, let's ATTACK"?
How often do you read "I'm tired of all this attacking, let's DEFEND!"?

;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 09:47:35 PM »
I've been here a long time.  

I've look at this thread several times.  Tried to read it twice.

Still, I cannot capture "the gripe."

The closest I can come to what it "might" be is, "Our side is getting slaughtered.  Since that is the case, HTC should alter the game to keep that from happening."

Am I right?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:53:22 PM by Hap »

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »

The closest I can come to what it "might" be is, "Our side is getting slaughtered.  Since that is the case, HTC should alter the game to keep that from happening."

Am I right?

Yes.  100%
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »

Am I right?

:lol Pretty much dead on target.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
I don't think the old zone system would work these days. You don't see people try to defend or fight when your about to lose the last base or two the other side needs to win the war. They think its better to try and capture bases faster to even the numbers.

Porking runs and fighting a defending war NEVER enters most players minds. Just hammer undefended base after undefended base as fast as you can.

To be honest, from a winning the war perspective, assuming even numbers and capabilities, rolling undefended bases faster than the other sides IS the way to win the war.  Smash and grab faster than they smash and grab.

Defense is an inefficient use of your resources that could be rolling an undefended base somewhere else.

That's one of the reasons I don't much care about winning the war.  It's either rolling undefended bases or wasting your time, and I don't find rolling undefended bases fun at all.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 04:42:28 PM »

Am I right?

No, not entirely.  

His point was that players were logging off from his side because it was not fun for them, as their side was being ganged into a corner with few remaining bases.  When players log off because the game is not fun, especially due to a large game imbalance, that is not a good thing, and probably something HTC should be concerned with.

This is not even an issue of "winning or losing the war", as others are talking about here.  In the case cited, BOTH sides already had enough Knight bases (over 20% each) to win, however they continued attacking only the Knights. Many, if not all, Knight bases had enemy aircraft over or near them.  The ability for two sides to gang up on one side, beyond the required war-winning parameters, does exist.  It happens rather frequently and definitely creates a big game-play imbalance when it does.  There really is no dis-incentive for ganging one side well beyond what is necessary to win the war, especially for those players that are just looking for easy kills/points.  

If you read my suggestion, it addresses this issue in what I think is a reasonable way.

Hope this explanation helps.  (By the way I was NOT on the Knight side when this occurred, but I did see it.  I was one of the Rook players who encouraged some others to move to Bish front.)

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:30:21 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »
How often do you read "I'm tired of all this defending, let's ATTACK"?
How often do you read "I'm tired of all this attacking, let's DEFEND!"?

;)

I say it. then I do it even if I do it all by myself (which is most of the time)
BUT its amazing what one person can do to hold up a bunch as everyone scrambles to go after 1 lone plane. In such cases it often provides just the right amount of needed time for your side to recover
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty