Author Topic: If you care about score, how should you fly  (Read 2544 times)

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
Re: If you care about score, how should you fly
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »
Just have fun.. The more you have fun, the more you'll fly, the quicker you'll get better.

If you REALLY want to focus on getting better to get a high score. Pick an attack style for each month. Month 1 - bomber. Month 2 - Attack. Month 3 - Vehicle. Month 4 - Fighter. I suggest that order.. Easiest to hardest.

I'm not saying the whole month you have to do just that style, but if you can do 10-15 sorties a day for 30 days, you WILL get better.

For Fighter mode. *** FLY WITH STALL LIMITER OFF *** It's annoying, but it's necessary to keep up with the talent in this game. Now, pick a couple planes. Planes that are different that could be used in different situations in a fight. Here's what I am flying for the next few tours. 190D(Speed) FM2 (CV/turner/tank) KI61(fast turner) 109K4/G6 (Stall fighter). I try my best to use ONLY those planes so I can really focus on their strengths and weaknesses. Once I feel like I'm pretty decent in that plane, I'll switch it out for something else. Set up friendly duels. Losing 500+ 1v1s with a good stick will truly make you a VERY good pilots.. It's frustrating. Not winning a 1v1 in 100 fights is annoying as all get out. But say the next 100 fights you win 10. Well there's improvement.. You'll be able to read a fight better and be able to make the right decision, quicker. Film your fights. Go back through and look through them to try to analyze where you went wrong.

I tried really hard to do well in ranks last tour, I ended up getting 16. Not too bad. It's not hard. But in all actuality, I'm no where near good enough to be ranked 16 overall... I'm decent in all categories.

I can you tell you i'm not the best pilot at all in this game. But from where I was 2 months ago, I can say I've gotten a lot better. Just keep focusing on 1 or 2 areas and you'll be okay.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 07:07:26 PM »
All you have to do to get a low rank is to make sure you play the whole game; fighter, attack, bomber and GV.  Fighter modes all about killing, bomber modes all about bombing but in attack and GV you have to do both; kill and destroy.  You'll also need to capture a base or two in both GV's and in a C-47 and fire a few rockets into some buildings in GV's or torpedo a task group.

If you can do all those things in a month you might make the top 50 overall.  If you don't, go to your stats page and see what individual statistics you're lowest ranked in and go improve in that area.  When I was playing for score I first wanted to be top 500 in every single statistical category.  That would get me into the top 35-50.  Later I changed that to top 200 in every category as a minimum often ranking in the top 10 overall.

What initially got me interested in chasing rank was the simple fact that I did play the whole game every month and was already relatively highly ranked so a little tweaking was easy to accommodate.  Contrary to what others may think if you have fun playing every aspect of the game then chasing rank doesn't have to be boring and can, in fact, add another dimension to the game.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 07:38:32 PM »
All you have to do to get a low rank is to make sure you play the whole game;

Absolutely.

You your goal is just having a score in the hundreds, this alone would suffice, as many players just leave out certain parts of the game which they don't care for. One can excel as a fighter pilot, his overall rank will be very low if he doesn't do anything else

You'll also need to capture a base or two in both GV's and in a C-47

You need that for a very high bomber / vehicle rank, or when really going for #1 overall rank.
I  always end up myself in top 10 overall rank (or very close to it) without having a single base capture in anything. Just playing in all modes and having some vehicle damage hit% is all I need for that. Don't even need to milk town center after town center ;)

So the only thing I actively and purposely do for score: At the beginning of each month I get some vehicle damage hit % by rockets or torpedo, and that's all I need for the rest of the tour to have a decent CV commanding capability - because I basically play the whole game.
An average player will have some lesser success for sure, but the principle stays the same.

As a general rule, it's easy to improve your score by several 100s by just playing a diverse game, but it's very difficult (and stressful) to get from 10 to 1, requiring not only skill and knowledge, but also often a lot of potentially unfunny self restraint
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »
Absolutely.

You your goal is just having a score in the hundreds, this alone would suffice, as many players just leave out certain parts of the game which they don't care for. One can excel as a fighter pilot, his overall rank will be very low if he doesn't do anything else

You need that for a very high bomber / vehicle rank, or when really going for #1 overall rank.
I  always end up myself in top 10 overall rank (or very close to it) without having a single base capture in anything. Just playing in all modes and having some vehicle damage hit% is all I need for that. Don't even need to milk town center after town center ;)

So the only thing I actively and purposely do for score: At the beginning of each month I get some vehicle damage hit % by rockets or torpedo, and that's all I need for the rest of the tour to have a decent CV commanding capability - because I basically play the whole game.
An average player will have some lesser success for sure, but the principle stays the same.

As a general rule, it's easy to improve your score by several 100s by just playing a diverse game, but it's very difficult (and stressful) to get from 10 to 1, requiring not only skill and knowledge, but also often a lot of potentially unfunny self restraint

How do you get damage hit % by using torpedos? Wouldn't that just make it 100% if you used one to kill a ship?
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »
How do you get damage hit % by using torpedos? Wouldn't that just make it 100% if you used one to kill a ship?

You usally destroy a lot of guns on that ship too.
And 100% is actually quite a good value for damage % in GV mode.

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »
another "just my .02".

as some know, I drive OTR truck, and don't get a whole lot of game play time on any given tour, however, I play as much as time and folks logged in allow.  it's just not that much fun when there's only like 25-50 players on when I do get to log-in.  I could go thru the game in all modes and probably get better score/rank, but that's not why I log-on.  I play to fight the other guy.  that's about all that's really important to me; having other people to shoot at and be shot at by.

like I tell the D.O.T. when they just have to inspect my truck........."I payed to be here and play so I want it all, the good , the bad ,and the ugly of what may come of the situation."

bottom line, if you see me in red, come to me.  it may end good or bad for either but I'll still have my fun in the actual fight as I don't care if I win or lose because as stated  "I play to fight the other guy".

:salute   :cheers:

DaCoon

p.s.  Skuzzy said to a disgruntled player once  (and I'm not gonna say who)
"(blank) your mission should you choose to accept it is to have fun playing the game"

I used to have this in my sig.     :salute
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 07:41:40 AM »
Just have fun.. The more you have fun, the more you'll fly, the quicker you'll get better.

If you REALLY want to focus on getting better to get a high score. Pick an attack style for each month. Month 1 - bomber. Month 2 - Attack. Month 3 - Vehicle. Month 4 - Fighter. I suggest that order.. Easiest to hardest.

I'm not saying the whole month you have to do just that style, but if you can do 10-15 sorties a day for 30 days, you WILL get better.

For Fighter mode. *** FLY WITH STALL LIMITER OFF *** It's annoying, but it's necessary to keep up with the talent in this game. Now, pick a couple planes. Planes that are different that could be used in different situations in a fight. Here's what I am flying for the next few tours. 190D(Speed) FM2 (CV/turner/tank) KI61(fast turner) 109K4/G6 (Stall fighter). I try my best to use ONLY those planes so I can really focus on their strengths and weaknesses. Once I feel like I'm pretty decent in that plane, I'll switch it out for something else. Set up friendly duels. Losing 500+ 1v1s with a good stick will truly make you a VERY good pilots.. It's frustrating. Not winning a 1v1 in 100 fights is annoying as all get out. But say the next 100 fights you win 10. Well there's improvement.. You'll be able to read a fight better and be able to make the right decision, quicker. Film your fights. Go back through and look through them to try to analyze where you went wrong.

I tried really hard to do well in ranks last tour, I ended up getting 16. Not too bad. It's not hard. But in all actuality, I'm no where near good enough to be ranked 16 overall... I'm decent in all categories.

I can you tell you i'm not the best pilot at all in this game. But from where I was 2 months ago, I can say I've gotten a lot better. Just keep focusing on 1 or 2 areas and you'll be okay.

To keep up with the "leet" sticks in the game, maybe so.  Most of the time, I (a decidedly non-leet pilot, who flies with the stall limiter on) can be at least a fair match up against the majority of the roster.  Anyone who claims it is mandatory to disable the stall limiter probably never spent all that much time flying with it enabled.   There is more to a fight than just the absolute maximum performance of your plane.  You can still put up a good fight with it on.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »
To keep up with the "leet" sticks in the game, maybe so.  Most of the time, I (a decidedly non-leet pilot, who flies with the stall limiter on) can be at least a fair match up against the majority of the roster.  Anyone who claims it is mandatory to disable the stall limiter probably never spent all that much time flying with it enabled.   There is more to a fight than just the absolute maximum performance of your plane.  You can still put up a good fight with it on.

Interesting developmental thought.  Ultimately, if the person chooses to continue their development in fighters, they'll end up with the SL off anyway so why wait?  Its not that bothersome and the results of flying better against the edge of their a/c's flight envelope is almost immediate.

Turn it off.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 07:55:06 AM »
Interesting developmental thought.  Ultimately, if the person chooses to continue their development in fighters, they'll end up with the SL off anyway so why wait?  Its not that bothersome and the results of flying better against the edge of their a/c's flight envelope is almost immediate.

Turn it off.

I found it to be very bothersome and am comfortable with the tradeoffs of using the stall limiter.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 07:58:02 AM »
Stall limiter is the devil! Might as well put training wheels on your bike too. No problem if you only play the game once a year, but if you intend to invest time in this game there is no reason not to learn to control the plane yourself. It's not hard if you are prepared to take a few weeks learning what you should have learned in the two week free trial. But, to each their own.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 08:26:52 AM »
Stall limiter is the devil! Might as well put training wheels on your bike too. No problem if you only play the game once a year, but if you intend to invest time in this game there is no reason not to learn to control the plane yourself. It's not hard if you are prepared to take a few weeks learning what you should have learned in the two week free trial. But, to each their own.

I play almost every day and don't have any problems with it.  Turning it off won't magically make me a better pilot. 

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »
I play almost every day and don't have any problems with it.  Turning it off won't magically make me a better pilot. 

Perhaps not instantly, but it certainly will stop you becoming one.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
Perhaps not instantly, but it certainly will stop you becoming one.

:aok

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »
Absolutely.

Spot on.  When I was playing the whole game but not worrying about rank I was normally ranked in the top 1xx.  These days with my limited play time I only fly fighters and drive GV's, both with the express purpose of killing people and usually in some type of defensive posture.  Now I rarely break 1000 in overall rank.

When I was trying for top 200 in every statistic I'd often need 10 GV base captures and 2-3 in goons.  At the time SOAR and some of the other more prolific base capture squads were active and it was hard to keep up with those guys, especially playing as a loner.

Very much true.  Once you're in the top 10 you must maximize your scoring opportunities on every sortie.  That's the point at which doing so takes you out of your game as you have to scan the map for the ideal situations.  It's the point at which you no longer play as you like but rather, the game dictates how or even if you play.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
Stall limiter is the devil!

I found it very helpful in the beginning when there was just so much to learn and to keep attention of, on all levels. From SA over gameplay knowledge to basic ACM maneuvers. I was glad it had been there, for else the first steps would had been much more difficult. I then shut it off after about maybe 3 months / 200 hours.

That's why I never advised new players to disable it no matter what, but merely explained the pro and cons. Just like tracers, it's for a great part a personal setting.