Author Topic: Headsets. Good, reliable headsets.  (Read 3123 times)

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
Re: Headsets. Good, reliable headsets.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »
I use a artic 531. It does not cover all the ear so it takes abit to get used to. Had these for 3 years or close to it anyway. I like them.

http://www.technogog.com/review/review-of-arctic-p531-5-1-headset/

Don't know if they even sell them anymore.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 01:17:00 AM »
You're wasting your money on 5.1 headphones and you are not getting 5.1 sound even. This Roccat Kave idea is at least giving you three drivers per ear (supposed to anyway), but that must be worse than a single driver. Think about this for a moment. The entire point of 5.1 is separation of the drivers. No matter how the drivers are placed in your headphone they will always sound like they come from the same source direction. Worse, unless they have the five hookups like the Kave does (thinking a single USB wire) they are not even 5.1 to begin with. The Kave though, is just enough gimmick to pry your wallet open. If you already have 5.1 audio from your PC then why not just add the 5.1 speakers, or better yet link through a receiver and push true 5.1? Then you could take it the one step further that AKAK did (I think it was him) and put vox across the headphone and game sounds through the speakers. Save your ears while you can.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 02:54:03 AM »
I need a nice headset that won't fall apart through normal use.

This is what I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HO1ULM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The headband has cracked and fallen apart just from putting it on/taking it off my head too many times. I really need some recommendations. Prefer it to have a solid metal headband with cushioning, it needs to have a mic, as good sound quality as I can get, preferably under $60. I've gotten used to surround but they're just too expensive to have to replace all the time.

And by the way, the next one to mention Turtle Beach is a dead man.

Any help appreciated.

Have you tried Turtle Beach?  :devil
.............when will you be round?  :)
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 03:05:03 AM »
You're wasting your money on 5.1 headphones and you are not getting 5.1 sound even. This Roccat Kave idea is at least giving you three drivers per ear (supposed to anyway), but that must be worse than a single driver. Think about this for a moment. The entire point of 5.1 is separation of the drivers. No matter how the drivers are placed in your headphone they will always sound like they come from the same source direction. Worse, unless they have the five hookups like the Kave does (thinking a single USB wire) they are not even 5.1 to begin with. The Kave though, is just enough gimmick to pry your wallet open. If you already have 5.1 audio from your PC then why not just add the 5.1 speakers, or better yet link through a receiver and push true 5.1? Then you could take it the one step further that AKAK did (I think it was him) and put vox across the headphone and game sounds through the speakers. Save your ears while you can.

The Kave 5.1 sounds good to me better than the G35.

I was thinking about speakers, but if i was going to get some i would make enclosed simpit.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 04:58:27 AM »

:furious

Round? I'm not getting fat!

Can't use speakers where I am. The Kave happens to be the same price as the Razer I was looking at, and I know how dodgy Razer can be. Plus, I trust Karaya, he's helped me before.

So Roccat Kave it is!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:04:11 AM by Mar »
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »
Still, for the same money you could buy much better headphones.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »
Still, for the same money you could buy much better headphones.

But he is wanting a headset, not headphones.   Also, they utilize all of the 3.5mm jacks on a 5.1 soundcard.   

For me personally, I have the ZX and do not want "proprietary software" to be in between the sound card and the output signal.     I have used Turtle Beach and not are the headband/hinges garbage.   So is the twisting boom mic, which even the $135 Tritton+ Pro 5.1 utilize.   Not to mention they utilize proprietary software iirc.   I currently use the SB module for the mic, Sony MDR-X200 cans and want to forgo it altogether and use a 5.1 headset.   ROCCAT appears to be the frontrunner in terms of cost/reliability and performance of 5.1 for the dollar.   Razer was the original front runner until they made the simplest RMA turn into one of cleaning the Augean Stables.   For me the number issue is quality and Razer is now horrible.

My Mamba went out in July.   I ordered a Naga 2014 and 28 days later after almost shorting out my MB, it died.   It took me two months to get the replacement because of the misplacement of information on their end.   I ordered a ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro (preordered the Tyon which is awesome as well) and it came with another F4 key in the place of the F5 key.   After a mere 6 hour email time frame, they sent a key over from Germany and I had it on my keyboard in less than eight days.   I know of MANY people getting upset with Razer as of late and I have sold everything, except for the used Orbweaver I procured.   If the Orbweaver dies, I will look at other keypads as they are an incredible asset in games.   But I enjoy both ROCCAT products immensely.

Now, back to headsets and not headphones.   I have yet to find anything close to the Kave 5.1 (not the Digital version with an external soundcard) in terms of comfort, durability reviews.   All signs from no less than four months of continual research point to the Kave 5.1.   I am not a fanboi of any brand (except EVGA) and both Zack, gun, Lab having the headset only help swing that pendulum.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
I have to agree with the Roccat assessment here.  I've done a lot of research and reading about headsets and headphones.  Chalenge is right, you can get a better performing set of headphones for 100$, but that still doesn't solve the Mic issue.  The modmic is around 75$ delivered to me, so it's around 200$ for a decent lower end set of performance headphones with the mic.

For 100$, the Roccat is probably the best value out there IMO.  I've handled and tried everything I can get my hands on, all the various Steel Series, the Corsairs (my fav company), Kingstons, Razers, and so on.  Roccat has the best quality feel for the price, and the 5.1 issues like Karaya has said are a big factor IMO.  I still really like the Sennheisers, but honestly, their lower end 350s are double the price of the Roccats.  The 363 I really like, same as the Game Ones and Zeros, but they are closing in on 3x the price.  For the money, I don't think the Kave 5.1 can be beaten right now.  I ordered a couple sets of them for our various PCs in the home.  I still went with a really high end option for my main gaming PC, the Beyerdymanics Gaming headset, but would never recommend them unless $ isn't an issue.  Getting 3 sets of them = ridiculous, hence the Kave 5.1s from Roccat filling the bill.  I still think the Psyko Carbons are/were the best for money no object range headset, but unfortunately like many great ideas and companies, stopped making them.  Should anyone ever run across a set, please PM me, I'd love a shot at getting a set with the included booster/amp.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Wow.  You guys have too much money to spend.

First of all I have never used a headset for gaming.  I've always used my speakers (first Altec Lansings and now Klipsch).

For someone with a more modest budget I bought a Logitec mike at Best Buy several years ago for $20-30.  It plugs into a mike jack in my soundcard, sits on a desk stand about 2-3 feet in front of me and I've never had anyone in game comment about how it sounds (sounds fine when I play myself back).  I was looking for another a year or so ago (I made a mess out of the base of mine but it's not a deal breaker) but it seems no one makes them with mic jacks anymore.

At work I'm on the phone all day long.  I use a Plantronics single ear headset/mike that's been working great for almost 5 years now.  It's a simple metal head strap, no padding but very comfortable.  I'm reasonably certain they make more advanced models for gaming/music.

Glad I could help.   :D
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
@Gman, I have a lot more into the voice side of things. Mic, boom, firewire interface, Behringer mixer, Behringer Vocalizer, and finally the input to the ZxR daughter board. For speakers I use some ancient Klipsch speakers and the Sony headphones. When I am working on sounds I use a 600 Ohm AKG set.

Similar setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZrpoRSNXvc
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:17:13 PM by Chalenge »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:18 AM »
The Sennheiser G4ME zero would probably be the safest bet.

It seems that Razer has a lot of products that work excellent - for a couple of weeks.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 03:42:05 PM »

It seems that Razer has a lot of products that work excellent - for a couple of weeks.

Will have a set of these at my doorstep tomorrow..................... ................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2014, 11:53:06 PM »

Do you use the Track Ir with the pro clip with that head set?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »
Do you use the Track Ir with the pro clip with that head set?

I have no knowledge of that.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2014, 12:50:36 AM »
Can't use speakers where I am. The Kave happens to be the same price as the Razer I was looking at, and I know how dodgy Razer can be. Plus, I trust Karaya, he's helped me before.

So Roccat Kave it is!

I hope you didnt buy these yet.

Got a pair for Xmas. Lasted me exactly 10 minutes before they broke.

Great sound! I mean really REALY nice sound

BUT
Totally inferior  as in cr@p construction of the rest of it.
the problem is the earpieces themselves seem well constructed are too heavy for the headband they are attached to. which is too thin for the weight and bulk they are expected to support

I put them on. was impressed by the sound. Got called away for a phone call. then went back and put them on again and the left earpeice just cracked and came apart where it connects to the headband. total elapsed time. 10 minutes

If you look at the reviews on newegg. there are two people on the first page alone that mention the exact same problem

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826436005

Sad thing is they sound great. And had they put as much thought into the construction of the band as they did the speakers and earpeices themselves these would be a really nice headset.

Sadder thing is these were my gift from my son and now he has to send them back. We will be asking for a full refund and not a replacement. Ill just have him get me a new fighterstick instead as my POV hat is about shot...again  and just get myself another cheaper set of headphones. I am finding that even the expensive ones dont last me any longer then the cheap ones and this was the shortest time in use yet of any I've owned
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty