Author Topic: Bombers disappear from map  (Read 1903 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Bombers disappear from map
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:11:57 AM »
Tonight on the Compello map.
  I observed a dar lift from airfield 59 it preceded east until sector 8-20, there was a red line indicating that the aircraft was off the map.  This disappeared and when it reappeared it was opposite the AAA strat at 22,000 feet sector 10-20.  My question is how can an aircraft go off the map and leave no dar for over a full sector and then reappear at 22,000 feet lined up on its target? :joystick:
 Is this a defect or just somebody taking advantage of the weakness in the radar coverage?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:16:41 AM by 1Cane »
AkCaine

Offline aarque

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Re: Bombers disappear from map
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:52:03 AM »
On the same map I upped to stop bombers inbound to the strategic targets, the bombers were triggering the normal dar bar and as I approached I could see they were TU-2's, somewhere around 14, 16k. Cane might have been observing my same sortie; it was in the exact location he described. To run from me the pilot turned North which led us outside the boundaries of the map. We exchanged fire with no apparent damage to either of us. Eventually I emptied my magazines, I was flying a P-47M. Some of my shots were at unbelievably close range and I began to suspect that these bombers were invincible. I started recording and captured a series of non-impact collisions in which I flew the jug repeatedly through the Tu's. The bomber pilot essentially ignored me and turned toward the strat. As we crossed into the map, my wing brushed the bombers and for the first time I heard a collision sound. I withdrew for fear the bombers still had ammunition and landed damaged with some missing control surfaces. I saved the recording.
  I then tried the same "glitch" at another map that I won't reveal and was promptly hunted and shot down. So not only does this glitch exist, but it is clearly possible to have it eliminated from the maps.
Now say, "rk"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »
On the same map I upped to stop bombers inbound to the strategic targets, the bombers were triggering the normal dar bar and as I approached I could see they were TU-2's, somewhere around 14, 16k. Cane might have been observing my same sortie; it was in the exact location he described. To run from me the pilot turned North which led us outside the boundaries of the map. We exchanged fire with no apparent damage to either of us. Eventually I emptied my magazines, I was flying a P-47M. Some of my shots were at unbelievably close range and I began to suspect that these bombers were invincible. I started recording and captured a series of non-impact collisions in which I flew the jug repeatedly through the Tu's. The bomber pilot essentially ignored me and turned toward the strat. As we crossed into the map, my wing brushed the bombers and for the first time I heard a collision sound. I withdrew for fear the bombers still had ammunition and landed damaged with some missing control surfaces. I saved the recording.
  I then tried the same "glitch" at another map that I won't reveal and was promptly hunted and shot down. So not only does this glitch exist, but it is clearly possible to have it eliminated from the maps.

That was last night.  You were easy to hunt because the map on the clipboard is cut prematurely on the south side.  After you hit the city you were off the east side of the map and showing a red arrow.  The arrow stayed on the east side of the map all the way to the bottom corner then you turned west and created a red sector counter.  The south edge of the clipboard map ends a few miles north of the south edge of the most southern row of sectors.

After you flew off map south to the SE corner and turned East, you thought you were still off the map.  I hunted you where the clipboard map ends but the game map sector exists.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:09:27 PM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline aarque

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
If that is indeed the case then the situation bears further investigation, as the implication is that the glitch may exist on all maps. One clue is being to recognize hit flashes on the opponents airplane.
Now say, "rk"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
This may occur when someone goes NOE below either 200 or 60 feet while "off map".

I've seen them come back on map, climb, and not generate darbar or a dot for a long time.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
NOE planes flying off map generate no Arrow.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline aarque

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 06:21:13 AM »
The topic of the original post which, as a bug report, has gone unaddressed for a week now - was about bombers disappearing and then reappearing at 22000 feet. NOE stands for uNder twO hundred fEet and we know this because when we fly at the nap of the Earth and that Earth is more than 200 feet above the ocean, we show dar bar. It is for this reason that it is impossible to fly NOE because the terrain rises steeply from field 59 on the Compello map and even if the bombers climbed from a NOE location off the map, there is no accounting for how this con can reappear at 22,000 feet.
 I believe the ghost plane glitch is related to the invisibility glitch because they happened on the same map, in exactly the same location and similar if not identical conditions and that it is an even more profound glitch than dar invisibility. We can learn something from the fact that this bug report has not been addressed by AH staff since other posts about the pilot wound randomizer have been moved from the Bug Report forum to the Help and Training forum. Obviously this topic is valid, if not hot.
Now say, "rk"

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
Under radar is currently 65Ft AGL in MA IIRC. Was 200 for many years.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
Under radar is currently 65Ft AGL in MA IIRC. Was 200 for many years.

Arrows and Sector Counters indicate planes flying above 200' AGL

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 03:31:39 PM »
Arrows and Sector Counters indicate planes flying above 200' AGL

250 AGL.

And for the record, before the radar altitudes were lowered to 65/250, they had been both at 500'.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
Try out flying off map, going noe, and returning to map and climbing.

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »
The original post had nothing to do with NOE!  The aircraft were leaving a radar signature disappeared off the map and reappeared two sectors later at 22 K.
If you can find an NOE signature here please explain it to me!  :bhead
AkCaine

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
And you're not getting it.

Fly off map, descend to below radar height, return to map, and climb free of dar dot and dar bar........all the way to 30,000 feet.......bomb the enemy and befuddle them with no dar bar or dot.

It doesn't always happen but I've proven the theory to myself.

Offline aarque

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
The original post had nothing to do with NOE!  The aircraft were leaving a radar signature disappeared off the map and reappeared two sectors later at 22 K.
If you can find an NOE signature here please explain it to me!
Field 59 at Compello is at the coast, behind which is a fairly steep rise to the first strategic target at 14,000'. The rise is so steep that if you approach 59 in NOE conditions, then pop at the coast, it is difficult to make a straight climb to the strat. The implication is that these bombers lifted from an enemy held 59 and turned east, generated dar bar as they started to climb over the lowlands, then turned further north, off the map; where they stopped triggering dar bar. If he did not know about the invincible zone, the pilot could still drop to the water and establish NOE. Climbing east from there, it would be impossible to tell if the suddenly appearing dar bar was a consequence of NOE or off map flying.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:07:18 AM by aarque »
Now say, "rk"

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:24:07 AM »
Field 59 at Compello is at the coast, behind which is a fairly steep rise to the first strategic target at 14,000'. The rise is so steep that if you approach 59 in NOE conditions, then pop at the coast, it is difficult to make a straight climb to the strat. The implication is that these bombers lifted from an enemy held 59 and turned east, generated dar bar as they started to climb over the lowlands, then turned further north, off the map; where they stopped triggering dar bar. If he did not know about the invincible zone, the pilot could still drop to the water and establish NOE. Climbing east from there, it would be impossible to tell if the suddenly appearing dar bar was a consequence of NOE or off map flying.

Something to consider...Terrain doesn't have to be below you to stay off radar. You can hug the side of steep terrain too. For example, a gradual climb with the terrain close beside you. I have done this in a fighter and single mossie, maybe a bomber pilot can share how well this works for them.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'