Author Topic: Air Start  (Read 787 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Air Start
« on: December 12, 2014, 10:04:24 AM »
Would it make sense to allow various alt air starts at some fields?

What pops into my head is when a map is pretty thin. The only fight is at one base, which is capped and the vulch light is on. The only option is to up from another field, fly for 10+ minutes then get into it. What if an air start was similar to a spawn point, and you could start at 5k or so? I know spawn camping would ensue though one would have a much better chance.

Also, this could incentive more buff missions. Taking 20+ minutes to get to 15k with a full bomb load, another drag.

I know in some scenarios, where the focus is to ensure combat, not flight time, they allow airstarts. Thoughts?

boo
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:05:56 AM by mthrockmor »
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Air Start
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
I think Hitech has said no to air starts, that's why the DA has the elevated fields instead.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »
Air starts would negate the planning and effort involved in capping fields. It's a part of the game, and was a part of the war. To try to circumvent that is counter to the whole point of capping a field, and counter to the intents of the game.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
Air starts would negate the planning and effort involved in capping fields. It's a part of the game, and was a part of the war. To try to circumvent that is counter to the whole point of capping a field, and counter to the intents of the game.

99% of the time capping a field is about vulching. That is decidedly a gaming thing. If you really wanted to take an enemy field you'd hit the railyards, then park your tank on the middle of the runway.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »
99% of the time capping a field is about vulching. That is decidedly a gaming thing. If you really wanted to take an enemy field you'd hit the railyards, then park your tank on the middle of the runway.

Vulching is not a gaming mechanic; trying to roll from a CAP'd base is the gamey tactic. Vulching is the solution to minimize/prevent this.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »
It's an idea that is both nice, and dreadful at the same time.

I'd like to see it tried out so long as it is not allowed within 1 or 2 sectors of an enemy plane or field.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
trying to roll from a CAP'd base is the gamey tactic.

A tactic you like to see employed by your adversaries, gamey or not.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »
Dont up from a CAP'ed field.  You're playing THEIR game. Up from the next closest field and drive them off like the vermin they are, or else accept the fact that you are a fish in a fish bowl on a shotgun range of you try and up from a field with a bunch of 'tards waiting to pounce. Don't play THEIR game.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
A tactic you like to see employed by your adversaries, gamey or not.

By definition, all air combat victories are based taking advantage of an opponent's poor or improper judgment. Whether they make a bad decision in the air or on the runway matters not, it's a kill either way.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Gray

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »
Vulching is not a gaming mechanic; trying to roll from a CAP'd base is the gamey tactic.

Tell that to Ben Affleck.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
Scenarios also have a no fly zone near the air spawn to prevent what will be a kill zone as air starts are away from airfield ack protection.  Simple to cap an air start and kill the planes as they spawn out and are trying to get under control.  Spiezes will shove much havoc upon the masses and much gnashing of teeth will occur.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.