Author Topic: World Cup of AH?  (Read 995 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
World Cup of AH?
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
Has there ever been a team-oriented special event in AH based on countries, sort of like the World Cup in soccer?   I'm picturing small map and time limited 4v4 or 8v8 duels. For example the Brazilians in their P-47D skin versus Italy in C.205s, the Fins in their 109G skin, Canada in RCAF Spitfires, Team Russia in Yaks or LAs, Japan in Ki.84s, etc.  Maybe split the US and British teams into two each, one for the air force and one for the navy.   RN and USN Hellcats or Corsairs.

Basically, team-based, aircraft skin based, duels?  Anybody ever organized an event like that?    Its possible to field a fairly balanced, competitive planeset and yet represent all the different countries we have skins for isn't it?   Would Spitfires just dominate an event like this?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: World Cup of AH?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »
Do you play the oboe ?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Do you play the oboe ?

Nope.   I get that question occasionally.

The story behind the name goes like this.   When I started Warbirds (1998?) I needed a 4 character handle.  I thought I wanted something authentic for the time, like a codeword.  I looked through some of my aviation history books, and came across a British invention for aerial pathfinding used with Mossie night bombers called "Oboe".  Apparently it produced a sound reminiscent of the woodwind instrument.   I've often thought its a dumb name for game handle, but it seems to have stuck over the years and now its hard to change.  

I'm not British, either.    :)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:55:16 PM by oboe »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 02:50:36 AM »
it is a great concept oboe but I agree a British led Spitfire wing would dominate all opponents.    :D

we had a one off SDL match before, Europe against USA in a ryder cup style.   Team Europe won hands down  but there could have been better opposition.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:54:08 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:57:47 AM »
Lol Bruv.  There are P-38 drivers who say they don't have trouble with Spitfires but I was never one of them.  What were your opponents flying?

I think Team Finland could be very formidable.  The 109G-2 is a nicely balanced fighting machine, and the "Sky Pearl" (Brewster F2A Buffalo) actually produced more aces per airframe during the War than did the P-51 Mustang (or so I have read).   

Come to think of it, the French have a few skins, too, don't they?  In the Yak series?  And is there also a Mexican P-47 skin?  And a Dutch Brewster?

I'm not sure there are enough players from the some of the smaller countries to make this workable but it is fun to think about.   I wonder how many Brazilians even play the game?  Could be frustrating though when the aircraft matched have very different fighting strengths.  The most boring fight I ever had was a 1v1 with me in an A6M5 versus an FW-190.   

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
it is a great concept oboe but I agree a British led Spitfire wing would dominate all opponents.    :D

we had a one off SDL match before, Europe against USA in a ryder cup style.   Team Europe won hands down  but there could have been better opposition.  

Bruv smells.
Top Gun

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »

Ryder Cup style would be the way to do this type of thing...who flew for the States? Probably some scrubs if they let you win  :neener:
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"