Author Topic: Support Aces High  (Read 9405 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Support Aces High
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2014, 07:53:52 AM »
There's a recipe so simple everyone can do it: Instead of leaving, stay! Wait for the numbers to grow. If everyone who currently only pops in to see some familiar names on the roster would stay for an hour or so waiting for the said names, the numbers would look entirely different!

I have done that for years, and it doesn't work. Wether I, as an individual, stay or not has no direct influence on the LW numbers. Or any other arena, I might add out of experience. And an individual player will mostly log off if he has no fun (for whatever reason) - after all this is a game and he's here to have fun and not to 'work' on it, possibly by doing things he's just not interested in.
Yes, "if everybody would come and stay" things would be different... but on a larger that's wishful thinking. People play when they have fun and don't when they have not. And in the end, it's the games job to create an satisfying game environment, and not the individual player's.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
I take complete responsibility for the decline in the player base over the years, although I am unsure if it was my salty behavior, the loud farts over vox, or their uber late war planes shot down by my D11. 

So, I sincerely apologize and hope those that left will accept this token and come back!

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!   
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2014, 08:03:22 AM »
  Let me help you out as your sarcasm is misplaced and uninformed.  The confusion on my part comes from the fact that the quote in my post was deleted yet the original post from which I quoted remains. Get it?

You're misreading, there's no sarcasm in my post whatsoever.  However, from the point of view of your own affrontedness, that's probably worse.  And even though I never saw either post, the one above yours is rule #4'd as well and I find it very difficult to believe that HT would rule #4 the wrong post, therefore I can only assume that you are incorrect and the original post you quoted does not actually remain.  Since the one above that is from the same poster I'm also assuming you're getting confused about which post you quoted.  There is every possibility that I assume incorrectly but odds are pretty good that I'm not.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:15:54 AM by Swoop »

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2014, 08:10:08 AM »
1. Young people don't have (or want) desktop PC's anymore.
2. I'm older than dirt and I'll never buy a new Desktop.

If you can't fly your plane holding your iPad or Windows tablet in the future, I don't think there will be too many new players.

Posted from my iPhone.

I am 24 and just baught an $865 PC which I just finished so that I could play video games to the max capacity. Finally I can play AH in full detail haha. I think the PC gaming industry is actually about to see a spike. I believe it has become more popular among 18-30 year olds. There are more games to play, better graphics, and the games are cheaper (steam and origin deals), plus competition among the games are almost identical  (COD, battlefield, and soon GTAV) are some of the most popular.) I was able to find BF4 for $5  on sale the other day.

I am right there in the target market for all of the gaming industry. There is a reason I still play this game. The challenge, the competition, and dogfighting in planes, the people, the skill, the concept. It's beautiful on the inside haha.

This game, like I said, cannot, or should not, be like COD in the sense of gameplay because it is a world map not limited to boundaries, in which any amount of players can be for or against you at any time, anywhere. The teams are not limited and the match never ends. Plus in a community like this, interacting and forming relationships is part of the game, where as other huge games are not. I hope this part of the game never changes. This means that time to find a fight is up to your disgretion, it takes patients and practice to be able to be good at always finding someone in the sky to fight. It is almost a second strategy skill.

It took me like 3 years to really figure out this game and how to fly all the planes in it, how to find fights and win in disadvanatged positions. It was something I craved, and was really passionate about. I met the muppets and felt those were the guys I fit in with. You just don't get that with COD or BF type games. I played Microsoft Flight Sim and Combat flight Sim in my early young years but this game blew me away.

I realize at off peak hours this is hard, especially with a huge map, and even more so when the HQ is down. I don't play off hours much as I am at work all day. But what I have I realized in the off hours was
 that taking off was more of a risk of well I hope I can find the one or 2 con's in the sector so I don't waste 30 min staring at the sky.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. This game is extremely fun with only 8 players on a small map. H2H was the proof of that. If any of you played smog8 map Team deathmatch in H2H years ago you will know what I am talking about.

The problem that bores people from the game is lack of action and aimlessly flying around with nothing to shoot at. If this takes 20 minutes, the game gets boring. If you get shot down, flying 15 min to a base again is a real desicion.

When you die, you really gotta think twice about upping again. Do I want to use another 20min to get alt and go fly all the way back to a base for the same result?

If there was a way to make the map boundaries smaller and close bases off so that the arena is compact in a smaller area for off hours, this would condense the action and cause more fights, tangos, and fun during the off hours. As more people joined, more bases would open up. Just like real war!!! Plus the base capture game would be more concentrated. If this were applied during off hours, you'd start to see these people enjoy the game more. This would fix 98% of the problem people are having in the off hours. Plus if HQ goes down, people still kinda know where the action is.

1. Shorter base distances.
2. Close off bases and condense the arena into a smaller area during off hours so that fights are consentrated on the same overall map. As more people enter, more bases open up. It could be like every 50 players that enter, 10-15 bases open. This would be realistic too.

What do you all think?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:19:24 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »
Aztec, I will take you up on that for sure! Would be great to join up in a flight of Jugs :-)  :cheers:

Swoop, indeed long time no see!   :salute

Can't wait till next year now, it'll be fun to go online and see how fast I get shot down  ;)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »
Hey Wilb, if you'd like a spot in the January Scenario.....my flight has a place for ya (P38J's)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »

I have done that for years, and it doesn't work. Wether I, as an individual, stay or not has no direct influence on the LW numbers. Or any other arena, I might add out of experience. And an individual player will mostly log off if he has no fun (for whatever reason) - after all this is a game and he's here to have fun and not to 'work' on it, possibly by doing things he's just not interested in.
Yes, "if everybody would come and stay" things would be different... but on a larger that's wishful thinking. People play when they have fun and don't when they have not. And in the end, it's the games job to create an satisfying game environment, and not the individual player's.
Lusche, you know as well as I do that our time zones count as off-peak. Then again, one of us here staying means much more in percents than one single player during the American prime time. We are worth more to this game, don't you think so too?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2014, 08:30:50 AM »
Lusche, you know as well as I do that our time zones count as off-peak. Then again, one of us here staying means much more in percents than one single player during the American prime time. We are worth more to this game, don't you think so too?

I agree!  Wohnen im Stuttgart
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
Hey Wilb, if you'd like a spot in the January Scenario.....my flight has a place for ya (P38J's)

Sweet Swoop! :)

Is it Battle Over the Winter Line?

I hope I can participate but maybe not all four scenarios, it depends a little bit on what weekends I'll be away visiting my girlfriend who's studying 200 miles away :-/

Give me a few days to see wether I am back in business by then! :-)

Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »

But still it doesn't change any thin if I'm logged in or not. When there's a large map with 30 players all over place and nothing happens on my frontlines no matter what I'm not going to stay online to 'raise the percentage'. AH is not a duty.
As a matter of fact, I have been online for hours during offline hours for many years. My individual impact on the numbers was and probably overall arena experience nil.
I'm not here to do a job, I'm here to have fun, just like every other player. And to put things a bit more into perspective, the 15$ I spend for AH are about my total entertainment budget.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:41:52 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TJsweet

• Copper Member
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
Why are there so many references to COD? Maybe you should reference EVE on line as it has more in common with AH2.
WashOut
FSO--JG54

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2014, 08:50:09 AM »
I am supporting Aces High. My gaming rig went tits up in October and I havent been able to fly. Yet I still pay my monthly fee. Hoping to get a new rig soon.  :banana:

You're a good man. What do you need to bring the rig back from the dead?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »

I have done that for years, and it doesn't work. Wether I, as an individual, stay or not has no direct influence on the LW numbers. Or any other arena, I might add out of experience.

I guess you don't believe in voting either then. :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2014, 09:55:26 AM »
But still it doesn't change any thin if I'm logged in or not. When there's a large map with 30 players all over place and nothing happens on my frontlines no matter what I'm not going to stay online to 'raise the percentage'. AH is not a duty.
As a matter of fact, I have been online for hours during offline hours for many years. My individual impact on the numbers was and probably overall arena experience nil.
I'm not here to do a job, I'm here to have fun, just like every other player. And to put things a bit more into perspective, the 15$ I spend for AH are about my total entertainment budget.

I believe you're doing your share, I've seen you online almost every time I've logged in. I'm talking about those who'd pop in just for a minute to scroll down the roster and leave if there's no one they know online. And I'm talking about exploring the many ways to have fun in this game.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »
You're misreading, there's no sarcasm in my post whatsoever.  However, from the point of view of your own affrontedness, that's probably worse.  And even though I never saw either post, the one above yours is rule #4'd as well and I find it very difficult to believe that HT would rule #4 the wrong post, therefore I can only assume that you are incorrect and the original post you quoted does not actually remain.  Since the one above that is from the same poster I'm also assuming you're getting confused about which post you quoted.  There is every possibility that I assume incorrectly but odds are pretty good that I'm not.

It's easy to miss the tone of Swoop, since he types with a British accent and all. Now try and get my Southern drawl and we are all set!
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton