Author Topic: Air to Air Gunnery  (Read 3702 times)

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Air to Air Gunnery
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
The twitfire died too trying to save you  :old:

Twitfire get no mercy from bebe monster  :old:

Twitfires are the gingers of AH, they have no soul  :old: That is why Bruv likes them  :old:

I'm just amazed how two spit 16s (or whatever the other noob ride was) failed to kill a Boston for 15 seconds while I desperately tried to escape with my 15 picks.  :cry
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 01:40:38 PM »

Twitfires are the gingers of AH, they have no soul  :old: That is why Bruv likes them  :old:

Except for the Seafire!  :old:  :D
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »
heres another dumb question how come when i fire right on the crosshair of the lead computing gunsight it still misses?  :headscratch:

Try this one to scratch your head over. Offline shoot the left wing off a drone. Then turn on the LCG and fall back to about 600. Then shoot and watch your rounds pass through where the left wing once was. In many cases I've moved the pipper inside of the lead distance the LCG indicates and the drone blows up rather than just loose a wing.

When you have two crosses and you are shooting a heavy cannon with MG. The cross leading the farthest away from the drone is the cannon. Except for the 30mm and above, at 400 and closer your crosses should be almost on top of each other.

At that point what matters is the rate of fire difference and round velocity.

Try against the offline drones firing only the cannon then the MG and the number of rounds that land in the same firing interval are very different. This is why so many players complain about they lit someone up nose to tail and got nothing. It's possible inside of 400 you only lit the con up with MG while a cannon missed in front and one missed behind. And all the rest passed through where the con used to be.

Then you enter the realm of "Lead Shooting" versus deflection allowance.

Rule of thumb, lead by enough radii so "And all the rest passed through where the con used to be." is passing through where the con will fly into it. Or, will be......if you are shooting him from 45-90 degrees of your line of travel. That is "Lead Shooting" or what we term a "snap shot" in the game. Deflection allowance is why you leave your tracers on while you use your rudder to try and correct the stream into the con from 5-35 degrees of your line of travel. Like what you mostly practice offline against the drones.

Deflection allowance is always screwed by the speed you are flying at and how much you are pulling your nose in any direction to land rounds. These states increase the G force on the round causing it to have a lower IP point if you are not flying straight and level. That visual illusion of the rounds bending back and down behind the turning con you are trying to hammer. One of the reasons for learning to fly with the ball in the center.........

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »

:lol

gingers and people without souls need love too. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 03:22:22 AM »
Thanks to Ryno, Krab, and yes...Skyyr.....for their input here.

Skyyr is advocating no scaling, simply raw input.    Were one to try that, where would the sliders be?  Full up or full down?   And this is for EVERY axis?

I dunno if I will ever be able to handle that with any degree of fidelity.

One problem I find is when I get slow in the vertical chasing a bad guy who is trying to rope me....my nose just oscillates all to hell and gone, even, it seems, with very little or NO input.   It is maddening to miss a P-38 at D200.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
Getting the thread back on track lol...

The whole scaling thing doesn't help the OP's main issue...

CyPi unfortunately uses a 3D pro that seems to be on its last legs, and the flap-happy thing is understandable when a jumpy stick begins to hurt gameplay and the pilot desperately searches for some kind of stability. Sure there is dampening and of course messing with deadband that would only prolong the inevitable. However he does have the luxury of having a separate throttle and will be investing in a new stick very soon. Hopefully he might throw a few bucks at it and get at least a Tier 2 stick like the x52  :x

Back to the instability, I flew for a little while with him and another squaddie in the training arena and the stick issue became obvious. When he did something as simple as a flat turn in a Corsair you can actually see the violent jump in the elevators before of course knocking on a squirrels door. Looking forward to when he gets a new stick!  :joystick:
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 11:44:44 PM »

Skyyr is advocating no scaling, simply raw input.    Were one to try that, where would the sliders be?  Full up or full down?   And this is for EVERY axis?

Full up (or simply uncheck the "scaling" box).

I can say my gunnery in another game improved when I disabled all scaling...but my stalling went up quite a bit too.   :cry

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2015, 09:03:02 PM »
Thanks to Ryno, Krab, and yes...Skyyr.....for their input here.

Skyyr is advocating no scaling, simply raw input.    Were one to try that, where would the sliders be?  Full up or full down?   And this is for EVERY axis?

I dunno if I will ever be able to handle that with any degree of fidelity.

One problem I find is when I get slow in the vertical chasing a bad guy who is trying to rope me....my nose just oscillates all to hell and gone, even, it seems, with very little or NO input.   It is maddening to miss a P-38 at D200.

It's not about holding your nose on the guy, it's about quickly aiming where the opponent will be and letting the opponent fly through your gunsight. Doing this will greatly help reduce your overall movement, as you're no longer moving to match your opponent. Once you get it down, you don't even have to use your gunsight anymore, and you can do it simply based on angles.

See example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAO2Np5-UAI
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2015, 09:37:44 PM »
Which stick o you use Skyyr?

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »
Which stick o you use Skyyr?

Microsoft Force Feedback 2.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 08:06:03 AM »
Never tried the FF but did own one or two MS Precision Pro 2. I recall it being extremely smooth vs some low & hi end Saitek sticks and the CH Fighterstick I've had for a number of years.

I asked because I tried the no scaling suggestion and had a pretty rough time of it. Granted, a week or two is probably needed to re-learn the sensitivity.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 08:24:19 AM »
The Microsoft sticks were some of the best sticks ever made in terms of durability and stability.  CH used to be that good as well.  I have yet to find another brand which did not have some input noise, after a couple of months of use.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Agreed.  Big time.

CH made a fantastic force feedback stick as well, similar to the combat/fighterstick but with a huge base, and great motors and such.  AckAck has good info I'm sure, it's been so long since I had mine - Mr Fork had one back in 2000 as well.

IMO nothing beats a good CH stick for precision and learning to be a good shot.  The Microsoft stick of old is close to the same as well, but my personal pref is the CH still.  I've had all the Saiteks from the x36 onwards, I have a Warthog with custom Euro/Steel pedals on my DCS system, and have owned every HOTAS set out there I think since they started making them.  IMO CH is overall the easiest to aim with in a game like AH, with several others being right up there as well, like the Microsoft and such.

One thing I would say that when trying to figure out your shooting technique, is don't zoom for the first little while, as it can really mess up your predictive lead and such at first.  Also, don't just focus on learning to get your gunsite in front of the target and let him fly through your stream, practice hitting him with the first shot out of your guns - the 30mm is great for training this offline or in the TA, practice trying to get that first shot to connect.  It is another tool in your toolbox, and a great skill to train alongside learning how much to lead and have the target fly through your burst. 

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »
The Microsoft sticks were some of the best sticks ever made in terms of durability and stability.  CH used to be that good as well.  I have yet to find another brand which did not have some input noise, after a couple of months of use.

My old MS Sidewinder had zero spiking or noise right to the day I sold it on eBay 2 months ago aND it's well over 10 years old.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
My old MS Sidewinder had zero spiking or noise right to the day I sold it on eBay 2 months ago aND it's well over 10 years old.

I just bought another MSFFB2, like new, for $45 shipped.  :banana:
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...