Author Topic: Another Combat Trim Thread  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: Another Combat Trim Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
On what Fulcrum was saying IIRC some of the LW birds did have trim tabs on the control surfaces but some of them were only adjustable on the ground. I guess they went by the pilot's personal preference and just left it at that.

I have heard that as well but I am not sure which makes and models. 

I think I'll do a little research on this subject.  :)
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 05:42:28 AM »
 I have been blaming my last 3 sticks for operating rough. By that I mean as I try to hold my pipper on target I would constantly have to fight it. The nose of my plane would bounce around making it difficult to hit targets. When I say bounce around, I don't mean like a basketball but bouncing enough if you were trying to thread a needle, you would never get it threaded.
I was in the main arena trying out the Niki. I ran into a good pilot that stayed away from my cannons for at least 5 minutes or more. I was staying off the pedals because someone just told me that rudder use can really slow you down. Made sense when you think about it. So I was completely turning using the stick. Well after 5 minutes my hand and forearm were just cramping up. Really burning. I survived my encounter but had one stiff and soar hand/forearm to show for it.
I decided to try and read up on this theory of staying off the Rudder and went looking at the AH webpage. I stumbled onto a section about flying with and with out the use of Combat Trim.
I had to go try it ASAP! So back up in the Niki I went. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to fly the Niki without Combat Trim. I would compare it to this: We all know what driving a car is like with automatic steering. And many of us know what its like to drive a car with no steering fluid. It takes two hands to turn the steering wheel. LOL Its not that bad, but it makes for a good example. I could fly the Niki with just the stick and no problem. It makes flying effortlessly.
So what I'm doing now is I get to my destination on auto pilot or using set angle automatically. I might make adjustments at several places a long the way. But when I get to the place of action (enemy base) I shut off or cancel any trim. I fight the fight with Combat Trim off. This is all new to me so I will report back once I get more sorties under my belt. But first impression is I really really really LIKE IT!!!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:55:48 AM by BBP »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
BBP, what. stick do you use?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
I put my expensive $550 Thrustmaster in moth balls and bought a $50 Thrustmaster (T.Flight Hotas X)  one site has them for $49 and free shipping. It has a joystick and a separate throttle. It does anything the expensive ones do. Even has a feature I've never seen on any other joystick.

Offline Patt2014

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »
I'm guessing CT is something that is programmed in to overcome a programming limitation.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
I'm guessing CT is something that is programmed in to overcome a programming limitation.

Combat Trim is simply an automatic trim setter. It just sets the trim based on your speed but it does not take your flaps setting into account. It's only accurate for flaps up.

The auto pilot modes set your trim and allow for your flap settings.

You can also set trim manually with keyboard or analog controllers.