Author Topic: Newest family member  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
Re: Newest family member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 07:27:06 AM »
"It's obvious you never raised show dogs,they are kept crated as a rule!"

Obvious to whom? Likely not someone who can't comprehend the language (that means it looks like somebody can't read very well)...If one is unaware of how to treat a breed that is as familiar to humanity as canines I'd say one has severely limited observational skills. And if you are having trouble with teething send me a pm. Isolation and confinement are for felons, not a critter that's got a few hundred generations compelling a much different environment.

When somebody can show me an example of self imposed confinement in any natural setting I might reconsider the facts. Until then cage an animal and you're being lazy and selfish. A show dog breeder is likely the last place I'd go for advice on anything save grooming hints. Really no different than trusting the child rearing tips of a pageant mom. Sheps are pretty much drip dry dogs whose typical owner loves the animal much more than the attention owning him provides. Folks (like us) that spent years distilling the breed are to thank for the ease of training you should enjoy. They love structure and predictability. If you can provide that you should have a happy dog. Make it clear what you expect and he'll have a happy you.

Offline oldskool65

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »
Awesome breed. We raised Sheps in Dallas for years but that was a long time ago. Almost a different dog. Good lookin' pup there for sure.

Since we all seem to assume you're unable to care for your new boy I'll add the only advice I can. Be consistent and enthusiastically reinforce the behavior you expect. Put the animal in a cage and I'll strongly suggest an bellybutton kicking. Unless of course you're tryin to start a dog zoo.....Nevermind. Even zoos gave up on cages decades ago.

If you can't train the animal, trust him alone with your priceless possessions, or can't handle the associated effluvia of canine cohabitation...just get a freekin' goldfish. As far as that stupidity about how "they like their cage"..who wants to bet I can get any member of this board to "like" being caged with less than 6 months. My rules of course but I guarantee results. There's not a critter alive that would ever choose to be caged. If you have to cage your pet. It's not a pet and you don't deserve their company.
+1
 I used to volunteer at an animal rescue centre in Oxfordshire, England and whilst there took a course in dog training and behaviour
The use of a crate or cage is strongly discouraged when training a family pet , An area of floor or a proper dog bed is better as a properly trained dog needs no physical barriers
Putting a PET DOG in a cage is wrong and produces a subservient rather than a loyal companion (Blue Cross animal rescue Training manual)
Obviously training a show or working dog requires different training methods for the specific needs
Of course I'm right I'm British

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 10:19:25 AM »
who wants to bet I can get any member of this board to "like" being caged with less than 6 months. My rules of course but I guarantee results. There's not a critter alive that would ever choose to be caged. If you have to cage your pet. It's not a pet and you don't deserve their company.

Anybody who knows anything about training dogs would look at this and laugh uproariously.

This is what happens when generations are raised on Walt Disney, Lion King and anthropomorphism of animals, most of all dogs, to fit our perceptions and needs instead of their own. "Crating" is an integral part of training most of all if the young dog is destructive and is costing you money when left alone. And yes they are very comfortable with it, indeed they do often like to just Lie in their crate.

Two things to remember is the GSD is a working dog and his job is to protect the house and the family. That means he has to be obedience trained and exercised and I dont mean just let out into the back yard but "exercised"! By all means at least join a group that trains and try to find one that does agility and other drills that challenge your dog.

Many GSDs are suspicious of strangers and wont tolerate any stranger coming onto their domain. That doesnt mean they will bite but they sure as hell wont let anyone they dont know in the house or on the property without you there. If they insist on still coming in they may find themselves unable to move cause the dog wont allow them to. GSDs are also very sensitive to sensing "fear" from others. This is a natural instinct found in all dogs so dont just think its them. But "protection type" dogs are more sensitive to it. Theres a reason Police Dept.'s use them. They are extremely intelligent, trainable, protective, and loving family members.

But they are animals, not humans. And they are not little foo-foo dogs, a lot of people are afraid of big dogs most of all GSDs. So they have to be trained and conditioned to follow your commands and acknowledge you as Leader. Problems arise with GSDs when the wrong type of owner buys them. You can treat your Bichon Frise as the child you never had but a GSD is a working animal.

And yes. You should train them to crate.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »
You can treat your Bichon Frise as the child you never had but a GSD is a working animal.

This is gonna be the hardest part for me. I'm already having to try not to treat him like a kid, but I know I have to be strict, and my girlfriend is better about it than me. That's where training for US comes in.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
Our Russian neighbors idea of training a watch dog (a doberman) is to let the children kick it repeatedly in the belly to make it hate people. The sad part is that the dog is extremely human friendly and comes to play with us when we pass by. I have a feeling that it would stay with our family if we would let it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
The one thing to keep in mind about the crate is once the dog runs in there he/she is left alone. It becomes their private refuge. Be it from playing or discipline. Once they run into the crate its over.

This guy speak 3 different languages, voice, whistle, or hand. Or any together. He's still young so he occasionally makes mistakes but since they are animals and not robots they will always make some mistakes. I get two kinda reactions from people, one will admire his level of training. One will act like Im walking a leopard. These kind of fools will stand there lighting him up with their fear and lecture me how I shouldnt own this type of dog. God forbid they just mind their own business and walk on.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:52 PM »
Putting a dog in a crate or a cage is a totally foreign concept to me.  I had all kinds of cross breeds growing up (mostly Collie, Shepard and Black Lab mixes) and all my friends had dogs.  Of course, most of us lived in the country and dogs roamed free.

When I had my white Shepard I lived with a guy later on that had a Doberman and a Great Dane.  Some friends went on vacation and we took care of their Doberman and Shepard along with our own and my roommates Dane had six puppies at the time.

The first time in my life I ran into a dog in a cage was about 12 years ago when I moved back to MN from NY.  The neighbors across the street had a minivan with two cages in back and the garage door was always open with the dogs in the cages in the back of the minivan with the tailgate open.  I found it incredibly odd and somewhat cruel.

Dogs are very oriented toward pleasing their masters and will do almost anything you train them to do.  In this case the neighbors simply trained them to live in cages.  Why?  They could have been trained to stay in the yard or to sit or lie and stay virtually anywhere.  I don't see why training them to stay in a cage is better.  Rabbits yes.  Cats in transit yes.  Dogs at home?  No.

On a separate note, when I had my Shepard (remember she was mean) I had her chained to a run in the back yard one day while I was off at work.  She could reach the back door of the house easily.  When I got home, I don't know how she got there, but an older woman was pinned in the corner of an L in the house near the back door with my Shep hunched, growling and moving back and forth in a quarter circle pattern.  The poor lady had been pinned there for two hours.

Another day when we were taking care of our vacationing friend's dogs, I woke up to a deep low bark and my Shepard bolted from my second floor bedroom.  As I ran down the stairs throwing on clothes the barking reached a crescendo.  As I reached the Kitchen my Shepard along with the visiting Shepard and Doberman were at the top of the stairs leading to the basement (my roommate had left for work taking his Doberman with him as usual) barking like crazy.  As I turned the corner the Great Dane was at the bottom of the stairs (we left her in the basement with her puppies) and the gas meter man was halfway between the back door and the basement with his back to the wall and as white as a ghost.  We never locked the doors as there was no need to and he'd just walked in.  That was the last time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:01:51 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »
"It's obvious you never raised show dogs,they are kept crated as a rule!"

Obvious to whom? Likely not someone who can't comprehend the language (that means it looks like somebody can't read very well)...If one is unaware of how to treat a breed that is as familiar to humanity as canines I'd say one has severely limited observational skills. And if you are having trouble with teething send me a pm. Isolation and confinement are for felons, not a critter that's got a few hundred generations compelling a much different environment.

When somebody can show me an example of self imposed confinement in any natural setting I might reconsider the facts. Until then cage an animal and you're being lazy and selfish. A show dog breeder is likely the last place I'd go for advice on anything save grooming hints. Really no different than trusting the child rearing tips of a pageant mom. Sheps are pretty much drip dry dogs whose typical owner loves the animal much more than the attention owning him provides. Folks (like us) that spent years distilling the breed are to thank for the ease of training you should enjoy. They love structure and predictability. If you can provide that you should have a happy dog. Make it clear what you expect and he'll have a happy you.

I didnt suggest putting the dog in a cage and leaving it there,why have a pet if thats the plan,I agree a goldfish would be a better choice! :rolleyes:

Maybe you and I differ,thats ok,I'm not going to go at length on my experience and I certainly couldnt give you any grooming tips as I raised shorth haired terriers. All my dogs live with us in the house,we've had 4 and even 5 running around at different times and guess what they all had their own cage!

If you can be with the dog 24/7 you may not need to train the dog to use a crate but I wouldnt transport a dog without one.

None of my dogs have ever been confined unless they were unattended and much to my wives dislike several slept with us but they were all trained to be comfortable in a crate.Notice I call it a crate now.... :devil

Serenity said the dog was chewing everything but it's toys,I suggested crate training to help protect both the dog and the household.

You were the one who infact linked it to prisons and zoo's but as someone else said it's a tool just like a leash or a whistle.  But thats ok,I can handle it.

Why do I have a funny feeling you would be perfectly ok with keep a dog on a chain in the yard...

:salute

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:57 AM »
My boss raises show GSDs for the past 20 years, she's never used a crate for discipline purposes. The dogs have their own 15x15 room with beds in all the corners. When they get in trouble or want to get away, they were taught to go to their bed.

There are different ways to train a dog.

(I work at a kennel btw, so I have experience with all sorts of working dogs).

A protection dog, is typically trained in a crate. They learn to be a bit more alert at other people while in that cage, but when they come out, they are taught to be a loving/pleasing dog to their master, but at the same time, be alert.

We kennel a dog here every so often who is a full blood GSD raised/trained in Germany for TWO years. The trainer who works at the kennel for us (Who did NOT train the dog in Germany), said that, that dog is worth about $60,000... HOLY CRAP.  :O And I believe it.. We were doing a demo for some other trainers around the city one time.. I put on a redman suit (Bite suit) and ran alll the way to the back of the woods which is just under a mile and a half straight back. Now this is the first time he's been in the back woods at the kennel. There is a horse pasture in the way with a nice split rail fence. I hid behind some bushes and under a tree.. Like a little cave facing away from the dog. From what I was told, he didn't jump over or under the rails, or go around. He went THROUGH the fences in a full out sprint towards the back of the property and sniffed me out Immediately... It was incredible.. He took me to the ground like I was a sock he was tossing around.. Thankfully they were on 4wheelers tracking the dog.. Cuz damn I had bruises on my arms the next day.

Dogs are incredible animals.. Get them trained for something.. Whether it's tracking/search&rescue/personal defense. It'll make a more loyal dog.

Good luck on your little guy and keep us updated!

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 05:02:11 AM »
Our Russian neighbors idea of training a watch dog (a doberman) is to let the children kick it repeatedly in the belly to make it hate people. The sad part is that the dog is extremely human friendly and comes to play with us when we pass by. I have a feeling that it would stay with our family if we would let it.

this is why I think that most people that consider themselves pet lovers are the worst people that should ever own a pet.  actually in my experience most people that call them selves animal lovers are themselves pet's worst enemy.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
IMHO, It's always up to the owner (the pack leader if you want to be a little technical) to teach the dog discipline.  Sadly, many pet owners jump into buying a cute little puppy and when the "newness" wears off and they end up with a full grown adult dog, they put it away to be forgotten.

For the few who raise dogs for a living, (confirmation, rally, obedience, field trials, and/or protection) all vary on training techniques.  It all depends on the breed.  Some breeds can be difficult.  I'm not saying untrainable, but some will test you.  Sometimes it also depends on the animal itself. 

From my own experience.  My first Alaskan Malamute had a temperament issue.  In the end, it was my fault.  I made a crucial mistake at a young age.  When he first showed signs of aggression, I failed to act.  I did correct him, but not enough.  This breed is very stubborn northern breed.  I missed the signs.  This was my lack of experience and it showed.  We did the training (puppy classes, obedience, and search & rescue work).  But he had a mean streak. 

Now, 20+ years later, my wife and I have five wonderful dogs (2 Havanese and 3 Mals).  Well, 4.5 wonderful dogs.  My youngest Mal is really testing me lately.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone here has posted valid points.  What works for them may not work for somebody else.  Every dog, every breed is different.  Training and experience is always key to raising the perfect animal. 

My three meatballs.  Tye, Summer, and River (the problem child).
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 10:37:16 AM »
Very nice pup there Serenity.  I'm extremely jealous, getting a GS or maybe a Belgian Mal has always been near the top of my bucket list, it's just never worked out. Someday I hope.  Congrats, best of luck with the training and whatnot. 

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
Obie, those dogs are gorgeous!

For me, I've never had a puppy, but I've also never been around puppies ever. The puppy phase is cute, but the German Shepherds I know are my family-friends' full grown shepherds who are the most loyal, smart, well behaved dogs. I'm actually looking forward to adulthood more than the puppy stage, and I'm really excited to start training him! And dear god does he need it. 90% of the time, he's great, VERY focused on me, he always looks at me when we walk anywhere, he follows me without having to be called, but for the last two hours he has been on a rampage! I think he got really excited about SOMETHING, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what. I tried taking him for a walk to get the energy out, but he didn't want to do that. I threw the ball a bunch, but that wasn't helping. I finally decided to try to just ignore him (Something I haven't ever tried before lol) and low and behold, five minutes later he's curled up at my feet (On my rudder pedals, of course, so I can't fly! lol) and being a sweetheart again. I think I've already spoiled him too much, and I need to start paying less attention to him so he doesn't feel like he runs the house.

On the subject of the crate, we got one today. I figure if we want him to feel at home in a crate, we should get one that he will use his whole life, so we got one rated for a dog up to 110lbs (His dad's size). We went with the all metal, and put it in his own part of the house, so he can go there and be away from the activity if he feels like it, and before I could even finish putting it together he ran in there and started playing. I guess he likes it!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »
 I would like to say many assumptions have been made!

First I didnt suggest the crate for discipline,it's merely used to keep the dog safe and to be used as a bed!  I have always had a "dog" room where my dogs will go to to eat drink or sleep.

As much as some may think it's cruel my dogs think it's cool!  they go in the crates on their own and I rarely shut the doors,sure when young I will confine them if unattended but otherwise they are mostly at my side or in my lap if I let them.

While I'll agree a fully trained dog rarely needs to be confined,Serenity's pup is still a baby and as such needs to be protected from it's self.

I'm no longer certified to train dog through the CKC because I allowed it to lapse but I did provide training for puppy groups and new owners for several years. I may not know anything about dogs but I did have a UDX certified English Bullterrier,to my knowledge the only Bully to achieve this in NA.

And guess what?   He was crate trained too,infact he could open the door and let himself out if I shut it on him. But then he would go right back in the crate and go to sleep...... Oh so cruel and nasty I didnt deserve him!

:salute

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
While I'll agree a fully trained dog rarely needs to be confined,Serenity's pup is still a baby and as such needs to be protected from it's self.

That's my intention. My GF usually leaves for work at 1500, and when I class up, I'll be getting home at about 1645, so he would really only be in there for a couple hours at a time, but I would MUCH rather have him caged up for a couple hours but still alive and unharmed when I get home to take him out and run and play!