Author Topic: Totaled a Truck.  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Totaled a Truck.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
Don't get the bare minimum amount of insurance you are legally required to have; assess the risks you encounter and insure your vehicles accordingly.  If you current insurance company won't give you the coverage you want or need, find another company.

This is my approach to life. If I touch it, it's insured out the rear, because if I touch it, it's probably going to die a horrible fiery death...

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:16 AM »
I was merely countering two posts stating that 4WD helps on ice, when it most definitely does not.

4WD does help you get moving, but moving on ice usually isnt the problem.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 09:11:05 AM »
I use winter tires, very efficient on icy roads or compact snow; the rubber  is softer than regular all season tires in cold weather and gets better grip on surface. The 4x4 traction is great, but without some weight and good grip on road surface is useless, once you start skidding ;  some people add extra weight 200-400 lbs sand bags in the box  in winter time;

Indiana has also very poor road maintenance, not only in winter , and.... high fuel taxes ; I'm driving I-69 twice/week,  the section from Forth Wayne to Indi the worst maintained highway from Toronto to Dallas, all bumps, potholes ;

---Winter Tires v Summer Tires: the Truth! - Auto Express ;   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

---Winter Tires or 4x4: which is best? - Auto Express   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:05:12 AM by ghi »

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 09:17:46 AM »
I'm an Adjuster for an insurance company.....there are many companies and policy's that will cover a vech bumper to bumper comp and collision....age of the vech means nothing. I have an 04 Silverado that is 100% covered if I hit something or someone...or if something or someone hits me.  She's mine free and clear, having a loan on the truck doesn't affect coverage either way...it's all in the policy you purchase

I've only ever owned 4wd trucks....4wd on ice only means that all 4 tires are going to slip. Means nothing. Now n snow it's wonderful, but just because I have 4wd I still take it really easy in bad weather

Sorry to hear about the truck Dast, maybe take her and get an estimate before you junk her

Oh?  Wonder if USAA will fully cover my car after it's paid off. :headscratch:  I'll need to ask.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:36 AM »

Oh?  Wonder if USAA will fully cover my car after it's paid off. :headscratch:  I'll need to ask.

Bar none USAA is one of the best insurance companies out there. Prior to being an adjuster I did disaster reconstruction/estimating....I never had a USAA customer that didn't have anything but positive things to say......and as the guy doing the work for them, it was a pleasure working for them and their insds.

Let's put it this way, I handle very large property claims for my company, and have worked with 30+ insurance company's in my reconstruction days,  if I qualified to get USAA insurance (I'm not former military) they would be the ones I'd have on my home/auto.......although I have Chubb and they are excellent.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:38:32 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 10:47:04 AM »
I was merely countering two posts stating that 4WD helps on ice, when it most definitely does not.

Sure, speed and ultimately grip is most important when driving on slick conditions. Not driving is best, and the more speed you obtain the worse the outcome of losing grip.

When driving in slick conditions it is my experience that 4WD offers the best stability. This followed by FWD and last RWD.  When driving a RWD truck it is best practice to put it in 4WD under slick driving conditions.  The benefits of having all four wheels driving include the pulling action of the front tires to limit the washout effect of spinning rear tires.  If you want to have fun doing doughnuts and fishtails keep it 2WD and hammer the gas!  :lol

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »
Try to sell it on ebay. You see quite some vehicles there that some buy for parts or even salvage titles. You might get a few thousands.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 12:37:56 PM »
Sure, speed and ultimately grip is most important when driving on slick conditions. Not driving is best, and the more speed you obtain the worse the outcome of losing grip.

When driving in slick conditions it is my experience that 4WD offers the best stability. This followed by FWD and last RWD.  When driving a RWD truck it is best practice to put it in 4WD under slick driving conditions.  The benefits of having all four wheels driving include the pulling action of the front tires to limit the washout effect of spinning rear tires.  If you want to have fun doing doughnuts and fishtails keep it 2WD and hammer the gas!  :lol

Ice is completely different than snow, slush, etc.   Ice offers little to no traction and is my only point.   I have done a great deal of wheeling and attended rally school back in the mid to late 90's.   Ice throws everything out of the window.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
Ice is completely different than snow, slush, etc.   Ice offers little to no traction and is my only point.   I have done a great deal of wheeling and attended rally school back in the mid to late 90's.   Ice throws everything out of the window.

yeah, and if the roads are that bad you should not be on the roads.  :bhead

So I should ask, what would be your preferred vehicle configuration to drive on ice?

Id go with 4WD and studded tires.  :old:

Looking at the conditions for the OP id go with slowdown and keep it in 4WD.  :salute

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »

Oh?  Wonder if USAA will fully cover my car after it's paid off. :headscratch:  I'll need to ask.

They will. I have a 2006 Toyota RAV 4 that's been paid off since day one insured with USAA for full replacement value, comprehensive and collision. And I can second that they're GREAT to work with. I've had a few collisions (One my fault, one someone PLOWED through it in a parking lot) and all I had to do was call and say I had a claim. They contacted a repair company, scheduled the drop off, had a rental waiting for me, very few questions asked and my rate didn't go up either time.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »

Id go with 4WD and studded tires.  :old:

That combo has worked for me the last 42 years and I've never been in the ditch (except to avoid a collision, and didn't get stuck) or involved in an accident (other than being rear-ended by a teenage girl with no respect for glare ice).

Of course every new winter storm I see a slew of 4WD/AWD vehicles off the road due to lousy driving.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »

I'm paying for full coverage on my paid off yukon xl with usaa.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 07:13:02 PM »
They will. I have a 2006 Toyota RAV 4 that's been paid off since day one insured with USAA for full replacement value, comprehensive and collision. And I can second that they're GREAT to work with. I've had a few collisions (One my fault, one someone PLOWED through it in a parking lot) and all I had to do was call and say I had a claim. They contacted a repair company, scheduled the drop off, had a rental waiting for me, very few questions asked and my rate didn't go up either time.

Have your front shocks locked up rock solid yet?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
When it comes to driving on ICE, 4WD doesn't help.   Siping on tires, does a little bit.

I have installed Treadwright tires with Kedge Grip compound on my Jeep for the winter.

Kedge Grip is a rubber compound that contains crushed walnut shell and ground glass. The tread surface feels like sandpaper, and when the walnut and glass come out, they leave behind a gozillion edges to bite the snow. So far this year, I've had two chances to drive on ice and packed snow. Very impressed. They grip the ice and packed snow much better than my Mud-Terrains (which were well siped). Come spring, I'll jack up the Jeep and swap out these tires for a new set of Cooper SSTs on aftermarket wheels. I'll store the Treadwrights for the next winter....

My Cooper S/Ts were great in deep snow. So-so on packed snow, not good on ice...

The Treadwrights were surprisingly good in deep sand, and adequate in mud. They are excellent (relatively) on packed snow, and grab as well or better on ice than my studded Dick Cepek tires (on my old YJ).

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:48:42 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.