Author Topic: Satellite Internet  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Satellite Internet
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 06:41:58 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:38:28 AM by Skuzzy »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 08:42:24 AM »
I thought between your chinese debts and the new wall you guys were about broke? Isn't everything close over there?

:bolt:

Who said we had the money to fix it?

That said, tread lightly folks as this is right on the line of a rule 14 violation.

Vulcan, please stop taking the cheap shots.  They are walking all over rule #4 and not helping move the discussion forward.  Thank you.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
Sorry was just kidding.

TWCAxew please make sure you look into the MTU size, it can make a big difference when you are many hops from your destination.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:22 PM »
I forget about the MTU size.  For a while there was this wildly propagated rumor about how increasing the size would help speed the connection.  Utilities sprung up that did it for you as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »
I forget about the MTU size.  For a while there was this wildly propagated rumor about how increasing the size would help speed the connection.  Utilities sprung up that did it for you as well.

Yeah in my previous job (I've moved on from that firewall company) we had a project that used uftp (ftp over UDP) to upload data to a DC in the USA. I was in the alpha testing, and in Australia/NZ we had a huge problem with it failing. I noticed they were use packet sizes of 1500. I tried to get them to drop the size but the devs wouldn't, I got on well with the product manager and he just told the devs to build a firmware with adjustable packet sizes for uftp, and guess what - it fixed the problem. They blamed it on crappy internet in A/NZ but once we went live the problem replicated in other parts of Asia and Europe, there we even some US states exhibiting it. Then they dropped the default MTU from 1500 to 1024.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
Yeah in my previous job (I've moved on from that firewall company) we had a project that used uftp (ftp over UDP) to upload data to a DC in the USA. I was in the alpha testing, and in Australia/NZ we had a huge problem with it failing. I noticed they were use packet sizes of 1500. I tried to get them to drop the size but the devs wouldn't, I got on well with the product manager and he just told the devs to build a firmware with adjustable packet sizes for uftp, and guess what - it fixed the problem. They blamed it on crappy internet in A/NZ but once we went live the problem replicated in other parts of Asia and Europe, there we even some US states exhibiting it. Then they dropped the default MTU from 1500 to 1024.

Sometimes they have to learn on their own.  :aok

Later after setting the default lower they were probably patting each other on the back saying, "yup we fixed it".  :rofl
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:12:08 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
Hell no, I emailed them all tell them with a I told you so, and at the next tech summit we had I reminded them again  :devil

I also followed up with the UDP reference docs that recommend maximum UDP packet sizes of 256 bytes.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 12:44:08 PM »
Hell no, I emailed them all tell them with a I told you so, and at the next tech summit we had I reminded them again  :devil

I also followed up with the UDP reference docs that recommend maximum UDP packet sizes of 256 bytes.

Bazinga

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"