Author Topic: What is Going on these days?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: What is Going on these days?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
Of course he's right, I just wish he'd be quiet about it.  The number of Spit 14s that try to turnfight my Spit 9 right now is....hilarious.  Long may it continue.

I beat one in a turn fight with a D-25 a couple of weeks ago, it was hilarious.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »
Lately things haven't been the same way on Aces High. I remember couple years Ago where players had respect for each other and also played the game in a very professional way. There was really not much trash talking and channel 200 was not so whining. These days its almost impossible to get a 1v1 fight in the MA. Also its really really rare that we get a good base to base furball going. Or Even When we do get a furball going the fun polices Comes in and hit the Hangars or Hit HQ. Some players just run away when u get on their 6's. No one wants to fight anymore. If players were to actually commit to a 1v1 dogfight I think they would have 100x more fun than just make a pass and run away. Reason Why I play this game is to 1v1 Dogfight/Stall fight, where i can actually get a good look at the enemy airplane flying beside me and actually flying so close I can even see inside the Enemy Cockpit and perform back to back maneuvers which makes both players brains starts to generate and act quicker and the adrenaline rush that You feel is so much fun. Also before Game plans were much more organized and folks actually "listened" to the mission leader. All I'm saying is that i feel like things are starting to Disintegrate. I Always Fly Knights but I believe this is going on in the entire game where players from Rooks Or Bishops might say the same.  :salute

The only change is in your memory. The game was exactly the same way a couple of years ago and was the same way a couple of years before that. It is a natural human tendency to preserve happy memories and let unhappy ones fade; that's the reason for nostalgia and for grumpy old farts complaining about how nothing is like it used to be. Nothing, including this game, has ever been "like it used to be". 200 has always been a sewer,  Runstangs have always boomed and run, pickers have always picked, horders have always horded, Luftwhiners have always whined. It was like that in Air Warrior in 1996 when I started playing MMO flight combat sims and it's still like that here in 2015.

Search these forums and you'll find identical, not similar but identical, complaints ten years ago.  If the game lasts until 2020, I guarantee you will see forum posts lamenting how much it's changed since the glory days of 2015 when everyone in the MA was polite and respectful and lived for the thrill of the FIGHT. The good old days are right now.

And if the game doesn't last until 2020, it won't be because new players have come in and ruined it, it will be because new players haven't come in at all. The "X-Bawx Generation" aren't here, they're playing X-Box games or World of _____. The average age of players here is higher than its ever been and still climbing.

Yes, there are problems with game play and attitude here. Always have been, always will be. Coming here and whining about it is not being part of the solution. What is the solution?

(1) Find a bunch of guys you like to fly with and enjoy flying with them.
(2) Stop caring what other people do, say, or think.
(3) Lead by example.

Pretty much the same as in any other area of life.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »
That sounds like heaven!

Until someone comes in and kills the guys who are turning with extreme ease, and than the said turnfighters come in here and cry (which is why this thread was created). Yet, they somehow fail to recognize that if their style was as good as they say it is, they wouldn't have died so easily. Irony.

Further, turnfighting exists for a specific purpose in ACM. Over-using it is just as bad as over-using your flaps or any other air combat mechanic, and it has real consequences (such as being easy prey for energy fighters).

Yet again, what is the problem with this? You keep trying to assert your position that the majority likes to play a certain way without addressing the fact that if they like to play that way, they should find ways to make their playstyle work (instead of complaining how other people play). If your style of playing is so fragile that it can't stand up to someone else's well-executed playstyle, then your playstyle should be revised, not theirs.

So...the entire point of your post is to saying is that you do the EASIEST things to win; and that is fun? That is a sad excuse for wanting to play a combat simulator. The whole point of the game is that it is VIRTUAL. YOU don't die, and you get ENDLESS lives. Where is the CHALLENGE? It makes no sense to me. In a game that you can take ANY plane, and do EXACTLY what it's NOT supposed to do, or to take your favorite plane and get that white knuckles, adrenalin pumping fight with a "hated" foe, to just go for the easiest  is totally counter intuitive.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
The only change is in your memory. The game was exactly the same way a couple of years ago and was the same way a couple of years before that. It is a natural human tendency to preserve happy memories and let unhappy ones fade; that's the reason for nostalgia and for grumpy old farts complaining about how nothing is like it used to be. Nothing, including this game, has ever been "like it used to be". 200 has always been a sewer,  Runstangs have always boomed and run, pickers have always picked, horders have always horded, Luftwhiners have always whined. It was like that in Air Warrior in 1996 when I started playing MMO flight combat sims and it's still like that here in 2015.

Search these forums and you'll find identical, not similar but identical, complaints ten years ago.  If the game lasts until 2020, I guarantee you will see forum posts lamenting how much it's changed since the glory days of 2015 when everyone in the MA was polite and respectful and lived for the thrill of the FIGHT. The good old days are right now.

And if the game doesn't last until 2020, it won't be because new players have come in and ruined it, it will be because new players haven't come in at all. The "X-Bawx Generation" aren't here, they're playing X-Box games or World of _____. The average age of players here is higher than its ever been and still climbing.

Yes, there are problems with game play and attitude here. Always have been, always will be. Coming here and whining about it is not being part of the solution. What is the solution?

(1) Find a bunch of guys you like to fly with and enjoy flying with them.
(2) Stop caring what other people do, say, or think.
(3) Lead by example.

Pretty much the same as in any other area of life.

The cloudy skies part, the sun breaks through and you hear angels softly signing what this man just said. . I'm tearing up. ..:salute

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
So...the entire point of your post is to saying is that you do the EASIEST things to win; and that is fun? That is a sad excuse for wanting to play a combat simulator. The whole point of the game is that it is VIRTUAL. YOU don't die, and you get ENDLESS lives. Where is the CHALLENGE? It makes no sense to me. In a game that you can take ANY plane, and do EXACTLY what it's NOT supposed to do, or to take your favorite plane and get that white knuckles, adrenalin pumping fight with a "hated" foe, to just go for the easiest  is totally counter intuitive.

I CHALLENGE you to the DA, so you CHALLENGE yourself trying to kill me,  it's not my job(or anyone's ) to make you feel CHALLENGED. If it's easy for me to kill you,  that's your fault.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »

"Hate"? That's a strong word, but whatever. If I am fighting someone because I "hate them" (to quote you and your words, in your example), why would I bother doing anything else than killing them as quickly as possible? If I hate them, I want them shot down. They aren't worth spending any additional time on. It's not that hard of a concept; it's completely intuitive.

What's not intuitive is your concept of trying to make a challenge where there's not one. If my opponent does not offer me a challenge, that's not my fault, nor am I going to try to make the fight challenging. I'm there to beat him, not have fun with him. If he's not a challenge, it only means he's a poor opponent. My goal is to beat him as quickly as possible according to the rules that are in place at the time of the fight.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:15:26 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »
I prolly shouldn't say this but its exactly the way it was back in 2000 when I started. Its also the same way Air Warrior was before that. Same complaints for the most part as well. As far as trash talking I recall being "shocked" at what was being said on the cross country channel when I first arrived. I think peoples perspectives change after they have played for awhile. As humans we kinda look at the past as being this great time for some reason. Im sure someone will come in here and start talking of the grand days of Camelot.........  :old:

Im still having a blast playing this game!  :aok

Tally Ho!
Pipz.....The Canadian.  :cheers:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »
I'm there to beat him, not have fun with him.

So what you are saying is that you are a narcissistic masochist, got it! Anything else you would like to add?

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
I didn't say that at all. I said, simply, that in a game where points are awarded for beating another player, my goal is simply to beat him.

Anything else you'd like to add that I didn't say?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »
What about fur-takers like the Pigs?  :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
Having some dedicated E fighters rack up kills on the furballer/flaps-out guys is nothing new.  It was happening the first week I played this game years ago and every week since.  How people fly isn't a big deal to me.

I see AH like playing poker with the guys on Friday night.  Yes, I am trying to win but thats not really the important part.  I play because its fun and a good chance to unwind and enjoy a couple cold beers.  If Joe brings his neighbor and the guy is an ass, everyone loses.  AH would be better if folk's tried to avoid being Joe's neighbor at the table.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:05:35 PM by Aspen »
AMAX  in game

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
That sounds like heaven!

Until someone comes in and kills the guys who are turning with extreme ease, and than the said turnfighters come in here and cry (which is why this thread was created). Yet, they somehow fail to recognize that if their style was as good as they say it is, they wouldn't have died so easily. Irony.

Further, turnfighting exists for a specific purpose in ACM. Over-using it is just as bad as over-using your flaps or any other air combat mechanic, and it has real consequences (such as being easy prey for energy fighters).

Yet again, what is the problem with this? You keep trying to assert your position that the majority likes to play a certain way without addressing the fact that if they like to play that way, they should find ways to make their playstyle work (instead of complaining how other people play). If your style of playing is so fragile that it can't stand up to someone else's well-executed playstyle, then your playstyle should be revised, not theirs.

If it sounds like heaven then why aren't you still playing at Warbirds or FA where there are only a few guys BnZin each left?

Again, your point of view is the only one that matters. Latrobe who has been here for years couldn't possibly know what he is talking about, nor could Junky. Who are these clowns? So obviously the OP couldn't know what he's talking about as you can't find him on the score page.

I believe you have completely missed the point of the posts. What was posted, that in this big old sand box it no longer lends it self to turning and burn/knife fights like we had years ago, and that were for the most part the norm. We, well I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.

A few years ago it was hordes. Those have been easing up but I think that is more due to the general numbers being lower. The "new thing" is these guys who think being at the top of the score board is cool. What ever, this too shall pass. The point is that while everyone says "the game hasn't changed!" explain why we can't hit 300 players on a good night any more instead of the 1000 players we were poking at a few years ago? Something has changed.

Good old knock down drag out fights are pretty much history in this game where it use to be an all night affair. We use to log back in the next day only to find half the guys we were flying with the night before were still at it .... and only a little bit more drunk. Not any more. You log off for some dinner and when you come back it's whole new crew. There is a lot less combat in this game which is sad as it is suppose to be a combat game.

Sitting up on your perch, diving down and picking guy after guy isn't fighting, it's picking. It takes little skill and a half decent aim. Taking bases with 30-40 players isn't fighting, it takes very little skill and just a wiliness to die a lot. I'm not telling anyone how to play the game, and never have, I'm just pointing out how much of the game they are missing. It's like playing poker where all the cards are dealt face-up on the board. No skill, no challenge.

The OP has some points, whether you agree with them or not doesn't really matter. He felt he needed to get it off his chest. He remembers the game a bit differently, as many do....or so it seems. The point is the game has to change. Many see it it on the edge of extinction, not only here, but you hear it in the game as well. Numbers continue to drop. New players are chased away by loudmouths on 200 or on their own country channel and yes even directly on private channels. Something has got to be done, if not what we have WILL continue in the slide it IS in. If everything was "OK" the numbers wouldn't be dropping, they would at least stay stable.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »
If I am fighting someone because I hate them, why would I bother doing anything else than killing them as quickly as possible? If I hate them, I want them shot down. They aren't worth spending any additional time on. It's not that hard of a concept; it's completely intuitive.

What's not intuitive is your concept of trying to make a challenge where there's not one. If my opponent does not offer me a challenge, that's not my fault, nor am I going to try to make the fight challenging. I'm there to beat him, not have fun with him. If he's not a challenge, it only means he's a poor opponent. My goal is to beat him as quickly as possible according to the rules that are in place at the time of the fight.
The term is figurative, not literal. I'm surprised that you didn't get that.....
So, everyone else being lesser than you...what do you have to prove? What is your purpose in playing?

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »
So what you are saying is that you are a narcissistic sadist, got it! Anything else you would like to add?
Had to correct it, he doesn't like hurting himself. The rest is dead on...