Author Topic: Is a "tail slide" a gamey move?  (Read 5264 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Is a "tail slide" a gamey move?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
After this post Im not going to post another due to a feeling of mine that this thread is mainly a trolling one. Anyways, it would be like saying a locemvac is a gamey move (if it could be preformed... I never could get it). There is a lot of airshow footage of where you can find a "tailslide" If you will. And yes I know they are stunt planes, but I don't see why a war machine couldn't pull it off in a freak occurance.

There is also that famous dogfights video with the p51 shooting down that 109 with a tail slide like move...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBiMM7VGh8

I think the reason we can't do a proper Lomcevak is because we seem to have limited elevator travel.

Here's a gamer exploiting the torque modeling.  :D
http://youtu.be/uRz6JpPrESE

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
"I got a fever, and the only cure is... more tail slide." -DMF

++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
its pretty damn gamey and unrealistic, but i'll be damned if its not fun to do

Yes they are.  And I'm just as guilty of using it.

I think the reason we can't do a proper Lomcevak is because we seem to have limited elevator travel.

Here's a gamer exploiting the torque modeling.  :D
http://youtu.be/uRz6JpPrESE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's an acrobatic plane...frame composed of lightweight composite materials combined with a powerful engine. 

So the comparison should only be partly correct, at least in the context of a WWII warbirds doing the same things......the Zero and Ki43 likely being exceptions to some extent.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
The real question is... what does Fresco have in store when someone eventually says cutting the engine in the middle of a fight is gamey?

I have no idea what's in store.  Do you guys?   :uhoh
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
 :noid
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
The real question is... what does Fresco have in store when someone eventually says cutting the engine in the middle of a fight is gamey?

I have no idea what's in store.  Do you guys?   :uhoh

Cutting one's engine is gamey in that a real pilot probably wouldn't do it, but they could still easily do it and do it multiple times without any difficulty or adverse effect. Try a "AH tailslide" in a real aircraft and you probably aren't coming back except in a body bag.

Anyways, I'm not sure what everyone's so worked up about. This is a game - it's clear that actual ACM is rarely followed here, so who cares?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:48:50 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 10:58:04 AM »

I have no idea what's in store.  Do you guys?   :uhoh

Questioning the ulterior motives of a question is certainly an interesting way to dodge providing an answer...but it isn't an actual answer.  It also implies that the person doing the dodging doesn't want to answer because it invalidates their prior arguments.

But I digress...

I know you don't tail slide that much in your B38..... but you seemed to be doing just fine last night skating along 50 feet over the deck at 90mph, flaps full out in a Yak3.  It didn't save you...but you sure looked good doing it!  :aok

So what's your opinion, Triton....is it gamey or not?  

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's an acrobatic plane...frame composed of lightweight composite materials combined with a powerful engine. 

The aircraft are different but the physics are the same. We can't tumble but otherwise we get a similar ride limited by the performance differences.

So if a maneuver is a real maneuver then is a less extreme version of it still gamey or is it advanced stall fighting?

Offline Oyabun

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
Tail slide is dweeby  :old:

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:59 AM »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 11:02:55 AM »
The aircraft are different but the physics are the same. We can't tumble but otherwise we get a similar ride limited by the performance differences.

So if a maneuver is a real maneuver then is a less extreme version of it still gamey or is it advanced stall fighting?

That's the question I think we are trying to answer.  As I said....I'm on the fence on that matter.   :D

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »
That's the question I think we are trying to answer.  As I said....I'm on the fence on that matter.   :D

No doubt people will set aside their preferences and have a rational discussion about it.  :lol

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »

Modern aerobatic planes and fighters can do things far beyond what a ww2 fighter could and even in AH its hard to to some of the stuffs. So if we use that definition nothing is gamey.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 11:47:34 AM »
I'm more on the side of "it probably wouldn't have been done much in real life, except in extreme desperation". Not having the effects of the maneuver makes it easier on the virtual pilot, so that control is kept, but war being what it was, planes weren't always in top notch condition, so they might not handle the stress as well, along with various other factors make it unlikely to be a "go to" maneuver.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »
This morning I saw a thread from last year on the SIMHQ forum about 'the most dangerous sim' out there.  The OP indicated that Aces High took top honors.

More important than that drivel was the 'points of distinction' (it's a comparison, remember) made below it.

One was that Aces High is a combat simulator and DCS was a 'study' simulator, from which I read 'realism'.

If you use Aces High and DCS as polarities, then IL2 would be in the high-middle somewhere.

Aces High is a combat simulator.  If the flight model allows a pilot to perform an outlandish and unlikely maneuver and get away with it, then it is just part of the game.  The same way that the BFG was so popular in first person shooters.  There was never a 'real' BFG, but it was fun as heck.

Eliminating a tailslide capability in Aces High might otherwise harm other, more likely, flight regimes in the game.  Leave it in...don't fuss about 'gamey'.  Figure out a way to defeat it.

I'm not the most well read person on this board, but I have been reading about fighter combat in WWII for about 50-years.  I've not run across an account yet of a WWII pilot intentionally tail-sliding as either an offensive or defensive 'move'.  There are other ways to force overshoots, I suppose.  When talking to those veterans, I almost never heard anything about intentionally stalling unless all else was lost.  Why?  Because when your aircraft is ballistic, you might evade your attacker, but not his wingman.

If this was a troll, OP, then like a tailslide, you've roped me in!   :D

:salute  
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider