Author Topic: Mission Editor Video Tutorial Series  (Read 2265 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Mission Editor Video Tutorial Series
« on: February 04, 2015, 04:19:52 AM »
A new series of YouTube video clips is now available showing how I create missions using the Mission Editor. At this point it is available as a YouTube "playlist" with 13 clips, totaling about an hour and a half. The focus is on helping beginners edit existing missions from my collection, in order to easily derive new missions or new variants from existing ones. I will probably add a few more clips to this playlist within the next couple of weeks, but it already has enough information to get a beginner going. As I created the video clips in the series, I realized how little I really know about the Mission Editor; there are lots of tools and options that I have never used, so those areas are not covered, and this series can not be considered a comprehensive reference. It just shows how I do it. I hope this helps!

Here's a link to the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1IYes9MY6lIzUW80uq6Y5vUFftR-Yu7t
 :salute

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Re: Mission Editor Video Tutorial Series
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »
Update as of 05Feb2015: The series now has 17 clips with a total duration of almost 3 hours. Parts 15A and 15B are the most advanced (and the longest) as they walk the new Mission Editor user through all of the steps necessary to write a very simple mission from scratch, using the "Tutorial Text" from the editor's venerable Online Help file as a script. At the conclusion of this exercise, the viewer that follows along will have created a new "Mission Group" (Kind of a battle scenario) in a new Phillippine Islands terrain, with a single mission for two P38s that take off, fly a Combat Air Patrol over a fleet of American ships, and then return to land. No extra sound files, map images, or other media events are present yet, and only about 5 seconds are spent in the Briefing Room before the mission launches.

By applying the principles learned up to this point, a new user should easily be able to modify the route, change the aircraft type, add additional flights to fly a path parallel to the route (with a designated offset Left/Right, Up/Down, and Ahead/Behind) using different types and numbers of aircraft, and create additional Missions within the Mission Group to create a hostile encounter and resulting combat.

This gets me to a pretty good stopping point for awhile. Perhaps I may resume this project to show the specifics of how I add media events (Audio Briefing, Briefing map sequences, sound effects, and radio banter), but that will have to be postponed for awhile while real life intervenes.
 :salute
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:21:42 AM by bbosen »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
Thanks!
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:39:41 AM »
Bob, are you planning on updating to Version 3 (AH3), or is it pretty easy to tweak the missions from 2.12.4 to 3?   :salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/