Author Topic: Beating a dead horse ?  (Read 12918 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Beating a dead horse ?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:45 AM »
HQ is ok, best fun tgt to attack and defend;
  fat boys too lazy to move their donut from spawn point to do something about it; crying on BB is easier than roll a Komet and intercept ; the HQs are in Komet range an all maps;

1. I log in and see my HQ is down for another 100+ minutes. And that means I'm "too lazy"?
2. There are many maps where the Komet base is too far away to get to HQ in time if the HQ raider went NOE.
3. Its all about balance.

Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 08:51:09 AM »
As long as that bomber isn't NOE, he's putting out a darbar. You can see when they are coming. Whether you or your team fails to stop the bombers from hitting the HQ, that's your problem.

Flying NOE to HQ raids is a bit bogus, so I agree with you there. I think NOE should be completely ineffective when close to the HQ.

But as for bombers at 20-30k, it doesn't take much of your time to hop in a K4, and go see what that darbar is that's been getting closer to hq by the minute is. It'll save your team a mass ressupply and lots of whining.

Not really. How many people have their maps zoomed out far enough to include HQ?  I'd be willingot bet most have it zoomed only to their immediate  area of concern.
Most fo the time when HQ goes down. My first and only indicator that HQ is under attack is that radar disappears so I dont know till after the fact. I bet it works the same for most players.

Maybe we should up when we get into the MA and just circle HQ all night long?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
I find the easiest way to deal with the ongoing frustration of having no radar is to simply not log on.  Problem solved.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »
I find the easiest way to deal with the ongoing frustration of having no radar is to simply not log on.  Problem solved.

That and talk with your credit card.

Offline DM2999

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 10:53:24 AM »
Back in the day when we paid 6.00 a hour to play AW..Yikes would have been riot over this.
HT I know you burned up more than a few visa cards. It's just entirely too easy for one player
to take out a whole countries radar.

Dale will never forget the road trip to DC and your dream of your own on line "flight sim". Tanks
were never mentioned but they are OK. Would just like to get on line and be able to find the enemy
not have to look all over the map.In a on line flight sim it would be nice to log on and be able to
to have a dog fight. Was your original plan....no?

DM
"I miss NoBaddy!"

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
Solution A:
1. Find a field near HQ
2. Up a suitable aircraft
3. Find HQ raiders
4. Shoot down HQ raiders
           Outcome, HQ stays up

Solution B:
1. Log onto BBS, HQ raiders are IB
2. Create thread complaining about HQ raiders, Bomb bay doors are now open
            Outcome, HQ is now down.

It would seem to me that Solution A is the prudent option
I've given up on solution A because it plays out like this...
1. Grab appropriate plane.
2. Climb for 10+ minutes to get coalt lone with raider.
3. Find griefer
4. Get into icon range.
-5a. HQ raider dives away 400+ mph and hits HQ anyway. Then bails before I can make him pay.
-5b. As soon as HQ raider sees me in icon range he simply bails before I can even get into proxy range.

There is zero reward for hunting HQ raiders unless you can catch them over a sector before they get to target. There is no way a single player in unperked aircraft should be able to ruin the fun of an entire team. It's crap for everyone involved except the lone tard who gets off on ruining 50+ players fun. It goes against HTs goal of encouraging combat, makes people log off, and generally punishes the team who is already fighting long odds anyway.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »
There are more bombers willing to invest the time to get to alt and attach HQ than there are fighters willing to defend it.

If I am defending HQ, it takes me just 15 minutes to get to the same alt the buff has invested 1 hour to get to.  All I have to do is shoot down one of his buffs before he drops and I have successfully defended the HQ.  If I do not kill all the buffs and that pilot does not bail, his turnaround time is enormous compared to mine so one guy can defend against many HQ raiders.

The game does not stop when HQ is down.  You can still find a fight by texting on country channel and simply asking.  If you want to go offensive and grab a few buddies to hit a base, does it matter much if you don't know where your enemy is, or are you just trying to avoid a fight and sneak a base?

Maybe it's just me, but I take great satisfaction stopping that HQ raid.  As has been stated here, just one buff guy can effect the entire game a lot with a HQ raid, well just one guy can effectively defend it against that single buff driver.

If you want immediate change, change the way you play the game instead of trying to change the way the game is played.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
There are more bombers willing to invest the time to get to alt and attach HQ than there are fighters willing to defend it.

If I am defending HQ, it takes me just 15 minutes to get to the same alt the buff has invested 1 hour to get to.  All I have to do is shoot down one of his buffs before he drops and I have successfully defended the HQ.  If I do not kill all the buffs and that pilot does not bail, his turnaround time is enormous compared to mine so one guy can defend against many HQ raiders.

The game does not stop when HQ is down.  You can still find a fight by texting on country channel and simply asking.  If you want to go offensive and grab a few buddies to hit a base, does it matter much if you don't know where your enemy is, or are you just trying to avoid a fight and sneak a base?

Maybe it's just me, but I take great satisfaction stopping that HQ raid.  As has been stated here, just one buff guy can effect the entire game a lot with a HQ raid, well just one guy can effectively defend it against that single buff driver.

If you want immediate change, change the way you play the game instead of trying to change the way the game is played.

The problem is, it's gameplay that most people are not interested in significantly affecting their entire side's gameplay.  Loitering over the HQ waiting for buffs that may or may not come is just not appealing to most people.  Imagine if the mechanism to save the HQ was to sit in a Tiger II and camp the GV spawn into the HQ.  How often would you do it?

Also, shooting down 1 of the 3 does stop that attack, but his second run you're going to have to knock down all 3 or he's going to kill it.

Thirdly, you ask on channel where the fight is, you're mostly going to get the location of the current far-too-late-to-defend vulchfest, or the location of the green horde.  Honestly, that's what most people seem to be looking for anyways, but it's not what I am looking for when I look for my next place to up.

If you've been on long enough to get into position, the HQ is defensible if you're willing to put in the time and boredom.  In some circumstances though, either the bandit had the right circumstances to not be noticed until he's close, or you just logged in, all you can do is watch the HQ flash until the radar goes out.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
That and talk with your credit card.
Yup...  Iracing is starting to look interesting...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
It would probably be more fun if the HQ was a forward field instead of just a strat... Heck it could be a different type of capture the flag where instead of a shiny new base ya get perks for your country...

However it's entire town or capturable object would need to be freshly regenerated much like ack-guns...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »

Exactly!
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »
Might be we need some very late war flak that was radio fused and radar aimed.  93mm I think.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »
Its possible to defend the HQ on every map.  Its just not that much fun on some.  The point of playing a game is having fun.  I like that dropping HQ has a big impact, I just don't like aspects of the game that nudge people to log off.  We don't have the numbers we used to and flying with no dar for an hour sucks some of the fun out of the game, especially if numbers are already low.  Leave HQ the way it is, just give guys a way to get it back up before people start logging or give it a reasonable max down time.  

AMAX  in game

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »
I don't mind HQ raids, in fact one of my favorite AH moments was knocking down HQ with NOE b25s. The problem is the Lancaster nerds who bail if you get within icon distance.
See Rule #4

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »
Personally, I think the amount of bombs/amount of drones should be perked.

For example.. You want 10 1000 pound bombs. That will cost 100 perks if you die.
 This way bombers won't bail and will have to gun well in order to stay alive or fly with others, or fly very high. They will have to be experienced in bombers to gain enough perks to have 3 bombers and afford enough bombs to take out the HQ. Bombing is just too easy right now. And going around and killing everyone's FHs with no price to pay for getting shot down just kinda defeats the purpose of the battle aspect to the game. Especially when 90% of the time they don't actually capture the base.  

Also. Only a B29 should be able to mass effect the game with something like killing the radar HQ with 1 set of bombers. In real life 1 B29 destabilized half a country. But it wasn't cheap. And I don't think killing the the HQ should be cheap or easy.  

I def do think it is too easy to take down for the time it takes to resup or the amount of time it stays down for. It can be a real damper when it goes down every 30 mins when the fights aren't very big to begin with.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:26:17 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion