Author Topic: Beating a dead horse ?  (Read 13117 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Beating a dead horse ?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »
Strats go down and you have one of a few options.

First, you randomly fly around looking for a fight. Since there is no dar to assist, the fight generally finds you in the form of a horde capping and vulching a field. You grow weary of being vulched, you try and find another fight.

Or, you go to the field nearest the capitol and fly C-47 missions for 20-30 minutes, begging everyone on Country to help resupply.

Or, you switch countries so you can find a predictable fight.

Or, you get ticked off, didn't sign up to either get vulched or fly cargo planes full of rubber dog S*&% so you log off with the thoughts that maybe tomorrow will be different.

A rhetorically question for the Snailman, though if possible to track the numbers at the time a Strat goes down, then again 20 minutes later. My guess, we all know what it looks like.

AH needs to change up the HQ thing. Our numbers are too few to let one noob in Lancs ruin the fight then bailout. Just sayn...
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:05 PM »
Hardening HQ would be nice.  An alternate suggestion may be to have a few GV spawns into HQ so that it can be resupplied a little quicker.  Some maps have that feature and others don't.  It is a part of strategic battle that I think is good though.
"One-Eye"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
Do you bail out of whatever plane your in to try in vain to stop the NOE HQ raider that leaves only about 3 minutes warning?  Or do you fly CAP over HQ the entire time you are online?  There have been many times this year alone, when HQ was down before I even logged on. 

It is far too easy for a single player to grief a whole country. Your argument is simple.

While watching this unfold tonight I did not see a single set bail after dropping HQ.  :headscratch: At least while I was on.
They all seemed to have more fun being hunted.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 01:52:17 AM »
While watching this unfold tonight I did not see a single set bail after dropping HQ.  :headscratch: At least while I was on.
They all seemed to have more fun being hunted.

What I asked was does he bail out to defend the HQ (as in, abandon whatever he happens to be doing once the HQ comes under attack), not whether or not he bails out after bombing it.   :headscratch:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:57:02 AM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 03:20:39 AM »
It should take 3 sets of lancs running the 14 1k pack, and that is with EVERY bomb hitting square on target, to knock out the HQ.  Considering what it does when it goes down, I believe this to be a good durability setting for it. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 06:42:11 AM »
but I have to agree that the HQ should be hardened enough to make it impossible for a single aircraft, or set of bombers to drop the HQ.  It simply has too negative of an effect on everyone in the game,

I completely agree. 

Many days I only have a few minutes to play.  A significant number of those times the HQ is down and it is near impossible to find combat.  Air combat is the main reason I play this game.  I am confident AH will address this.

Thanks.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 06:46:11 AM »
   You're either very ignorant, or just too lazy to read the thread and replies before responding. what this thread is saying is that the HQ in it's current existence CANNOT BE PROPERLY DEFENDED. Unless there is a player who wants to spend $15 a month just so he can circle the HQ and maybe possibly be in the right place, at the right alt when a bomber comes in. A single player can easily avoid all radar, or come in NOE and drop WHAT SHOULD BE THE HARDEST TARGET TO DESTROY. THAT HAS THE BIGGEST EFFECT ON THE GAME.   Hell.. it doesn't even have it's own dar ring, but yet controls ALL the dar for a country ? even a measly V-base has dar !

As long as that bomber isn't NOE, he's putting out a darbar. You can see when they are coming. Whether you or your team fails to stop the bombers from hitting the HQ, that's your problem.

Flying NOE to HQ raids is a bit bogus, so I agree with you there. I think NOE should be completely ineffective when close to the HQ.

But as for bombers at 20-30k, it doesn't take much of your time to hop in a K4, and go see what that darbar is that's been getting closer to hq by the minute is. It'll save your team a mass ressupply and lots of whining.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:51:29 AM by XxDaSTaRxx »
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Ray77

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 06:56:53 AM »
Solution A:
1. Find a field near HQ
2. Up a suitable aircraft
3. Find HQ raiders
4. Shoot down HQ raiders
           Outcome, HQ stays up

Solution B:
1. Log onto BBS, HQ raiders are IB
2. Create thread complaining about HQ raiders, Bomb bay doors are now open
            Outcome, HQ is now down.

It would seem to me that Solution A is the prudent option
I did option A last night.  Only because I had I other things to do outside of the game so I didn't mind flying a Mary for 2 hours with nothing to do.   Option A is a pretty easy way to drive players away from the game.    I did shoot down one B29 at this time.   Really all that needs to be done is make it so 1 set of  lancasters can't take the HQ itself.  B29s are perked so I'm okay with players risking them for HQ raids.  My guess is there will  be little bailing from b29s going on.
Don't tread on me.

Offline matt72078

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 07:34:39 AM »
1.  Give the HQ it's own radar ring,  preferably larger than the ones around the bases.
2.  Put lots of manned German 120mm FLAK guns or American 90mm (For those that want proximity fused shells) around the HQ, and let us control a whole battery of guns, kind of like shooting the guns in the BUFFs but instead of every gun aiming at the same point they would spread their fire out into a box pattern to the kill zone. 
3.  Airplane spawn points at 20K around HQ.

I'm all for having the HQ and losing certain abilities if it gets destroyed, but I also feel that it shouldn't be a milk run.  Attacking the HQ should be the Aces High equivalent of bombing Berlin.  People pay $15 a month to get into fights not do circles above the HQ hoping a bad guy will show up. 
"Best in the wing, hat in the ring!"

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »
How about quit complaining, and DEFEND our HQ and strats, AND the bases near them. This morning, Bish were rolling knight bases, and very few would defend. INSTEAD they wasted time and effort on attacking rooks. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »
Just logged on as a Bishie and saw that the country numbers were something like 29/15/28.  Switched to the Nits and - of course - the HQ is down.  :bhead

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
How about quit complaining, and DEFEND our HQ and strats, AND the bases near them. This morning, Bish were rolling knight bases, and very few would defend. INSTEAD they wasted time and effort on attacking rooks. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

A large number of players only want fighter vs fighter game play.  They don't want to take or defend bases just fighter vs fighter.  The HQ issue dramatically alters their game play.  Reminds me of the "Don't tell me what plane to fly." threads.

Note too some of these players have just a short time to play each time they log on.  It is very unfair to them.

I wonder though if 200 was shutdown would it be worth it to the HQ smashers since they would not get their 200 fix.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 07:59:48 AM »
Please fix it HTC.  :pray
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »
Please change it HTC.  :pray

:old:

It's not broken, just needs to be changed. :old:
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
HQ is ok, best fun tgt to attack and defend;
  fat boys too lazy to move their donut from spawn point to do something about it; crying on BB is easier than roll a Komet and intercept ; the HQs are in Komet range an all maps;