Author Topic: Top ten oldest squads in Aces High?  (Read 17462 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Top ten oldest squads in Aces High?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »
Furbars some time around 1990. Also I was one of the early guys in the gunfighters. I have an old roster some where of the squad.

Also AH's first line of code was written in Nov 1998. It really was a pain to stare a blank screen and have to start again after WB.

HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »
Should we let Pyro and Hitech back in? After the incident with the spaghetti and the horse statue at the saloon at Dallas in 2001, I'm not sure they're still off the hook.  We could be bribed...

:D

now it makes sense why they took the sheep out of the game.  the figure out we wont let them use horses, we get no sheep either. :bolt:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »
Here's a little history of the 56th in WBs and AH.

There is a guy named Daff, a British fellow, that stood up the 56th Fighter Group in WBs.  This was a prominent squad with several notable sticks that did a damn good job flying P-47s in the virtual WBs skies.  If you ever flew a P-47 in WBs, that statement should impress you.

I was a member of the 332 Flying Mongrels in WBs - started in 1998 IIRC.  When AHs Beta was in full swing, the 332nd split with about half migrating to AH and the other half staying in WBs. There was a lot of loyalty then and many thought AH was a start up crew with nothing to compare to WBs.

Daff, throwing the dice created a free Beta account in AH and established the 56th in AH in 1999.  He only had a few of the WBs 56th come over an establish accounts but nevertheless, the 56th was established in AH in 1999.

In 2000, three guys named Sancho, Frenchy, and Ammo had this great idea to form the 56th in AH.  We discussed it and decided to do it the honorable way.  Daff was still active in WBs, and we approached him about disbanding the 56th in AH and allowing us to carry the flag.  He agreed and the 56th started recruiting in AH in 2000.  

The squad grew quickly!  All we had in the early days was the P-47D-30 (renamed the D-40 later).  I guess it was about 2002 when we got the D-11 and just a few weeks later the D-25.  By that time the 56th was strong in AH.

The 56th eventually disbanded in 2011 or so.  I kept in touch with Nomde and he let me know.

I came back and restarted the squad in April 2013 (I think).  Aztec and Berra were the first guys to come aboard under my second watch.  Frenchy came back shortly after and we have had a big turnover ever since.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:10:11 PM by -ammo- »
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:32 PM »
The Avengers were formed in 1999, in Warbirds; we made the switch to Aces High back in the 2006-07 time frame.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
...? You have something we need? :p

Need is relative. I'm our squad historian (online history and related WWII VF-17 schtuff).

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
Here's a little history of the 56th in WBs and AH.

There is a guy named Daff, a British fellow, that stood up the 56th Fighter Group in WBs.  This was a prominent squad with several notable sticks that did a damn good job flying P-47s in the virtual WBs skies.  If you ever flew a P-47 in WBs, that statement should impress you.

I was a member of the 332 Flying Mongrels in WBs - started in 2008 IIRC.  When AHs Beta was in full swing, the 332nd split with about half migrating to AH and the other half staying in WBs. There was a lot of loyalty then and many thought AH was a start up crew with nothing to compare to WBs.

Daff, throwing the dice created a free Beta account in AH and established the 56th in AH in 1999.  He only had a few of the WBs 56th come over an establish accounts but nevertheless, the 56th was established in AH in 1999.

In 2000, three guys named Sancho, Frenchy, and Ammo had this great idea to form the 56th in AH.  We discussed it and decided to do it the honorable way.  Daff was still active in WBs, and we approached him about disbanding the 56th in AH and allowing us to carry the flag.  He agreed and the 56th started recruiting in AH in 2000. 

The squad grew quickly!  All we had in the early days was the P-47D-30 (renamed the D-40 later).  I guess it was about 2002 when we got the D-11 and just a few weeks later the D-25.  By that time the 56th was strong in AH.

The 56th eventually disbanded in 2011 or so.  I kept in touch with Nomde and he let me know.

I came back and restarted the squad in April 2013 (I think).  Aztec and Berra were the first guys to come aboard under my second watch.  Frenchy came back shortly after and we have had a big turnover ever since.

Daff is still active on the AGW Off Topic Forum.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
Daff is still active on the AGW Off Topic Forum.

Sorry for my ignorance, can you post a link to the AGW forums?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance, can you post a link to the AGW forums?
http://agw.bombs-away.net/

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member

Offline Teerex

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »
As Brother AMMO said,  The 332nd Flying Mongrels started in WB's and moved to AH the first month it went public..  Even though Daddog & Ghosth are gone, hopefully they will return someday. :pray  We are not as big as we once were, but we are still alive and flyin.. :airplane:  At the moment we are in the FSO each week and some of us can be found in the Main Arena from time to time. :aok

Currently there are only 5 of us left flying.  The 332nd Flying Mongrels is alive and well.  :rock

As I write this, My tail feathers are still smoking from you so and so's having shot me down... :neener:

Great game,  Great fun Battling with all of you.  " YEAH-YEAH "  :cheers:

<S>

Bill "TeeeRex" Wainscott
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels
 :x
LT. Col. Bill "TeeeRex" Wainscott
332nd Flying Mongrels
332nd FG 100th FS

Have Guns / Will Travel

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »
"Noses in the wind since 1997" eh, Teerex?

www.332nd.org is no longer active.  You guys had a good website back in the day, too!

What is with the death of most of the squads websites?  Are squads using Facebook now? Or Twitter?   Or has there been a whole environmental shift away from the services and communication that squad websites provided and now its all about just being in-game?   

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
DHBG have been around since 96 at least, and <S> to all, friends and foe alike!

Website in my sig (not updated in a little while unfortunately)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
"Noses in the wind since 1997" eh, Teerex?

www.332nd.org is no longer active.  You guys had a good website back in the day, too!

What is with the death of most of the squads websites?  Are squads using Facebook now? Or Twitter?   Or has there been a whole environmental shift away from the services and communication that squad websites provided and now its all about just being in-game?   

One of the best parts of the AW days on AOL was the squad boards as you could see everyone's.  One of the most hilarious bit for me was the Nomad board was on the bottom.  We jokingly started referring to it as the basement and portrayed it as the coveted spot on the boards.  Some folks didn't get the joke and thought we were being shown favoritism.  The poor guys that had to moderate all that :)

But you could bounce into another squads forums and have fun.  I think it helped folks get to know each other beyond their own squad. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
The best oldest squad is Muppets  :neener:
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
Daff flew with us in Royal Swedish Air Force in WB.
bmbm was CO of RSAF.
loving the jug, bmbm and daff left the squad to create 56th.
I took over RSAF after bmbm

Daff is Danish, not Brittish, but lived in London at that time.
Met him together with =Dobs= at Dobs airforcebase at Lakenheath.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera