Author Topic: plane performance charts and characteristics  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
plane performance charts and characteristics
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »
Hi,

the planes\vehicles\boat tab and the AHwiki tab doesnt work for me in the HTC site
how can i compare level speeds, acceleration, climb rate atc?
also find turn rate and radius, best sustaind turn speed, best climb speed and so on...

?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: plane performance charts and characteristics
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »
the AHwiki is down for some maintenance. This site

http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

has a good setup with some great info. It is old so it doesn't have all the planes in AH but its a good place to start.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
Hi,

the planes\vehicles\boat tab and the AHwiki tab doesnt work for me in the HTC site
how can i compare level speeds, acceleration, climb rate atc?
also find turn rate and radius, best sustaind turn speed, best climb speed and so on...

?

Look on the main page for plane performance under game info.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/gameinfo/plane-performance

You can see the same charts in game in the hanger where they also show the tested weights.

On the site Fugi linked the aircraft are tested with 25% fuel at sea level. Performance will be a little different at higher weights and altitudes.

It's best to do your own turn testing since you also want to know the effect of different flap extensions.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »
thanks alot for the link! very helpfull!
what is missing for me is the speeds in which the climb and turn radius tests where made. any ideas on how to find out?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
The easy way to see climb rate is with the auto-speed command, Alt-X, which defaults to your best climb speed. This will show your climb rate at your current weight.  Climb rate is close enough to acceleration performance that you don't need to test both.

The easy way to compare turn performance is to test how much g load you can pull at a given speed like 200 mph, or how fast you have to be to hold 3g in a level turn. Higher g at 200 is a faster tighter turn. Lower speed at 3g is a faster tighter turn. G load is shown on your accelerometer. For turn radius you'll have to do a little math or use the site Fugi linked.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
Heya Flyboy, here is a "still working link" to Badboy's Bootstrap Calculator for AH

http://www.leonbadboysmith.com/Files/AH_BootStrap.zip

several other links to other versions have recently been taken down....... as most of his pics/diagrams......

so grab it while you can

check this help and training thread out....... think this is some of the stuff you are looking for

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,338111.0.html

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:50:36 PM »
that's an excellent tool TC, thanks alot!
unfortunately i cant run any tests yet, but i already have in my mind a few things  to try out...

is there a source that concentrate in a chart the best speeds for max or sustained turns?
for example: the P40e at sea level, 50%fuel - best sustained turn 10deg'\sec at 270mph, best max turn 17deg\sec at 350mph (this is fictional of course)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
that's an excellent tool TC, thanks alot!
unfortunately i cant run any tests yet, but i already have in my mind a few things  to try out...

is there a source that concentrate in a chart the best speeds for max or sustained turns?
for example: the P40e at sea level, 50%fuel - best sustained turn 10deg'\sec at 270mph, best max turn 17deg\sec at 350mph (this is fictional of course)

actually, m00t, murdr, Spatula, Lusche, Badboy and some of us others was working on a big ol spreadsheet showing a good big bit of info for all planes, including corner speed, sustained or instantaneous turn speed/turning at different notch of flap settings, etc...... a several years ago, I still have the google grp data saved in MS Excel somewhere on my home server......

is quite interesting across the many different plane types

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
The P-40E is closer to 19 degrees per second sustained turn at 153 mph and 32 degrees per second instantaneous turn at 234 mph at sea level with 25% fuel. Heavier and higher will reduce performance. As soon as you are fast enough to pull to blackout you have hit your limit for max g load, any faster speed will increase your turn radius and reduce your turn rate.

An additional benefit of doing your own testing is it increases your ability to fly max turn rates.

Keep in mind you're unlikely to be looking at speed and g during a fight.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:09:50 PM by FLS »

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
actually, m00t, murdr, Spatula, Lusche, Badboy and some of us others was working on a big ol spreadsheet showing a good big bit of info for all planes, including corner speed, sustained or instantaneous turn speed/turning at different notch of flap settings, etc...... a several years ago, I still have the google grp data saved in MS Excel somewhere on my home server......

is quite interesting across the many different plane types

TC

Is this the one your talking about TC?

http://www.jcsautomation.com/AH_View_Planes.asp

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
TC is referring to a spreadsheet made with Badboy 's calculator showing sustained and instantaneous turn rates. The copy I have has a limited plane set tested at 25% fuel at sea level.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »

Still, in all of this, developing an eye for "E" is the key.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:06 PM »
Still, in all of this, developing an eye for "E" is the key.

How does that tell you max sustained and instantaneous turn rates, max level speeds, and climb rates?

Isn't knowing the performance numbers the key to evaluating comparative energy states?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:12:52 PM by FLS »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »
How does that tell you max sustained and instantaneous turn rates, max level speeds, and climb rates?

Isn't knowing the performance numbers the key to evaluating comparative energy states?

Don't get me wrong.  Plane knowledge is very important .   The "E" eye tells you what to do and when.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:37:06 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  Plane knowledge is very important .   The "E" eye tells you what to do and when.

Since E is speed and/or altitude the bandit's E state is usually pretty obvious excepting the same altitude head on merge.
That's when a vertical maneuver on the merge can help to determine the bandit's E state.