Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 23583 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Terrain Editor
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:11 AM »
Gonna start this thread for the Terrain Editor. if you have any use questions post them here.

Note: Some of the instructions could change / folder locations moved, ect.. throughout the alpha.

/**********************************************************************/
Been working on the custom terrain tiles, it should all be working for the next release.
Here is a sample set that can be used as the starting point.

In the terrset00 folder there are 4 .txt files.

These files define the inputs for the atlases to be made.
For the sample we have all the bmp in a texsrc folder, but they can be anywhere. But I would suggest you maintain this structure.
When we name ours we give the bmp meaningful names like dryshrub or farm1 excreta. These simply need to be put in the atlas.txt files. For the example I simply named them according to there Type #.

Also when you lay them out keep transitions in mind. When you have a type 2 and a type 10 next to each other the terrain will transition threw 8 different terrain types. So it is best to keep similar types next to each other.

You can include multiple terrain sets in each terrain.

The sizes and type of format used for each file must be maintained.

The basic extensions are _a0   terrain detail type. _n normal map, and _b1 is the spec channel.

then any file with the clutter in the name defines where ground clutter lays on the tiles.

When the terrain editor starts it puts all these into 4 atlas files. They are then saved in the terrsetxx folder.

The object editor will also supports opening these files bmp files, and you can create tree layouts for the tile which are put into other folders under terrsetXX.

HiTech

http://downloads.hitechcreations.com/terrset00.zip
/***************************************************************************************/

This is all the source texture files for the terrain release terrain sets
It also includes the detail textures and all corresponding atlas.txt files.

To modify detail atlases put the objdet.txt or the terrdet.txt in the terrsetxx folder and change the names of each texture.

the detail textures do not have a diffuse channel the have a normal map _N ,_A1 Specular and _B1 is a lighting detail grey 129 is no change less the 128 is darken greater the 128 is brighten.

http://downloads.hitechcreations.com/htcterrsets.zip

Instructions on terrain tiles.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/waffle/terredit.pdf
HiTech
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:46:40 AM by hitech »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
Editing Terrains with L3DT Pro
(www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/)

*we would reccomend purchasing the professional version of this software if you wish to use it for creating, editing or converting of Aces High Terrains.

Conversion of Existing Terrains:

Open the Aces High Terrain editor and Choose "File" > "Convert 2.0 Terrain."

Select the directory of the old terrain that you want to convert. Click "ok" and the conversion begins.

The new files will be written to a folder in the"GTTEST / AH3TERR directory. Open the folder and then the files to begin editing.

To edit heightfeilds in L3DT pro, Open your converted terrain and click "export" in the AH terrain editor. It will create a file called "height.raw" in your converted terrain folder. This will be the file that gets imported into L3DT to edit the height.

Getting the "height.raw" file into L3DT:

Open L3dt Pro and select "File > Import > Heightfield" and point it towards the "height.raw" file.

Enter "660" in the Horizontal Scale data box. Click "ok"

Enter "4096" for both the Width and Height

Set mode to "16-bit signed" with the "Invert Y Axis" checkbox checked. Click "Ok"

Now you can edit the height field in L3DT

Getting your Heightfield from L3DT back into AH.

-Choose "File > Export > active map layer"

-Select "Raw" as your File format and select the directory where you want to export it.

-Click the option button and set mode to "16-bit Signed (manual scale)" and "Invert Y" to "true"

-Export the Raw file and name it "height.raw" and place in your working terrain folder.

-Open the AH editor and Click on import to import the modified height map.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:27:05 AM by Waffle »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:31 AM »
What is L3DT pro?

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:30:52 AM »
It's a terrain sculpting tool that has  some more features that our editor. It also has some very quick terrain generation tools as well as laying out ground type data.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
Not one to but am i able to use the standard version of L3DT to make terrains for the game???

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
The individual license for the Pro version is $34.95. Not bad for a program of this caliber.

Waffle so did your geologic strata effects come with this product or allowed you to create and tile all of the elevation faces at the same time?

Great work by the way on the new terrain. It looked like glacial carved features.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
Does anyone one have a "basic terrain starter setup" ? Something to start building on immediately. Also an Editor Keyboard Ref. sheet would be nice for those of us just beginning with Terrain Editor.

So much to learn, so little time.  :joystick:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »
Is there some special trick to getting files to save in the TE? Whenever I try to save my work it's not there when I go back. In the previous version it would automatically open the last project I was working on, I liked this feature a lot.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »
Does anyone one have a "basic terrain starter setup" ? Something to start building on immediately.

Gimme a day.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
What are the names of the textures now, so we can use our custom textures please?  Still go in the texsrc folder?  ALL of my terrains on the server use custom textures and I'm going to have a load of updating to do at the proper time.  Plus, since many of my terrains "pushed the limits" of the old system, it will help me to report any bugs in the TE with as much info as possible when it comes to which files/folders are still used and what is new.  Please? :pray

:salute
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:24:55 AM by USRanger »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 08:07:36 AM »
Having first cup of coffe and getting ready to blow some minds. Here's the texture names :
Atlas0
Atlas1

Will post some more on this later.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 08:08:31 AM »
OK now you have my attention...LOL

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
This explains a lot.  My fragile little ego has been crushed with the frustration of not having a clue about how to meet the test objectives.  Prior to this alpha, I have never even opened the Terrain Editor.  When I did, for the alpha test, I was embarrassed that I couldn't even figure out how to place a tile onto the grid.   :frown:

Thanks, Waffle, for the information.  I can see this is beyond my interest in Combat Simulations.  Heck, I still struggle with the shot setups in the film editor. 

Hail to all terrain-making people!

:salute

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 11:13:32 AM »
The individual license for the Pro version is $34.95. Not bad for a program of this caliber.

Waffle so did your geologic strata effects come with this product or allowed you to create and tile all of the elevation faces at the same time?

Great work by the way on the new terrain. It looked like glacial carved features.
You can get a free 90 day trial.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Terrains take longer than 90 days in some cases and others are here for the long term like the AvA and SEA arenas.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.