Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 26584 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #285 on: December 02, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »
My apologies to everyone who so kindly put up with my stupid questions first. Especially you Hitech.

Not knowing how exposed the TE objects are, I succeeded in permanently deleting the group objects for task groups, convoys, trains and supply tugs. I did this back when we were asked to create that single island and use those party colored tiles to paint the island. From that point forward I only updated by logging into the online alpha arenas.

My recent full install of alpha 87 gave me a new copy of the TE and those group objects were again available. And my terrain building efforts started working per the wiki.

The ability to delete those objects might be considered an operational oversight, even a minor bug. You might want to lock them from the ability to delete them.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2015, 01:53:16 AM »
My apologies to everyone who so kindly put up with my stupid questions first. Especially you Hitech.

Not knowing how exposed the TE objects are, I succeeded in permanently deleting the group objects for task groups, convoys, trains and supply tugs. I did this back when we were asked to create that single island and use those party colored tiles to paint the island. From that point forward I only updated by logging into the online alpha arenas.

My recent full install of alpha 87 gave me a new copy of the TE and those group objects were again available. And my terrain building efforts started working per the wiki.

The ability to delete those objects might be considered an operational oversight, even a minor bug. You might want to lock them from the ability to delete them.

Are there instructions how to use the TE for us newbies, on Wiki? :pray
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #288 on: December 03, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »
Not a good day to be a battle ship offline.

Now for shore batteries, PT spawns, and 1000ft torpedo bomber spawns. I hope setting a default patrol route from the TE will be enabled soon. I can set it offline in the terrain. Tested the B29 at 1500 feet air spawned over the water and it lost only 200 feet. Smaller bombers even gained 200ft. The tanker's Hogan's Alley range shows an interesting visual problem. Tanks blend into the trees, shadows and factory building hiding spots so you have trouble making them out until about 600 yards. Spawn camping will be interesting.

The haze does not allow the offline target to show up until about 10,000yds but, barely. I did not see the other task force until the ships had cleared 10,000yds. Guess we won't have any epic 20,000yd battle ship fights.

For a time I misunderstood the tool to enable planes and other rides at fields was also the tool to assign fields to countries. Rather confusing multi purpose GUI. Simple once you discover the functions it controls.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #289 on: December 03, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »
Not a good day to be a battle ship offline.

Now for shore batteries, PT spawns, and 1000ft torpedo bomber spawns. I hope setting a default patrol route from the TE will be enabled soon. I can set it offline in the terrain. Tested the B29 at 1500 feet air spawned over the water and it lost only 200 feet. Smaller bombers even gained 200ft. The tanker's Hogan's Alley range shows an interesting visual problem. Tanks blend into the trees, shadows and factory building hiding spots so you have trouble making them out until about 600 yards. Spawn camping will be interesting.

The haze does not allow the offline target to show up until about 10,000yds but, barely. I did not see the other task force until the ships had cleared 10,000yds. Guess we won't have any epic 20,000yd battle ship fights.

For a time I misunderstood the tool to enable planes and other rides at fields was also the tool to assign fields to countries. Rather confusing multi purpose GUI. Simple once you discover the functions it controls.

(Image removed from quote.)

Last I check ( 1 min ago) setting way points in the TE works. Simply click add point after slecting A task group, then drag the line with your mouse. Add more if desired. Click submit when finshed.

For vis range is simply a host setting.

I have no idea how "Field Setup" would be confusing. It is also almost an exact duplicate of the in game version.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
I thought it had something to do with selecting fields only from a given country and left it alone early on. I got lucky having my tiny map window open today and noticed the color of fields changed in response to the tool. Otherwise when I laid down P2 and kept zone 1 in the properties GUI, it didn't show up after the build on my zone 1 country 1 island as a bishop port offline. It showed up as a rook port and CV. And the CV task group was no where to be found until I changed countries as expected. But, in the TE, in the properties for all of the objects related to that port, their zone was zone 1. And I even have an HQ for zone 1.

So that left me with, I broke something by accident again deleting or, push buttons to understand how the tools work.

I will open my terrain once more and follow your instructions to the letter.

I was doing what you describe to add waypoints right up to the last build I ran today.  Not once did any task group show up in the tool's window for me to select to add waypoints.

Watch it will work this time....... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »
This was the first time I've opened the TE and the two TG were available in the Task Group tool to add way points for.

If your waypoint receives the GUI warning about touching land, the GUI then goes away and your a left with a white box where it was. Then you are unable to gain access to the work space even if you use the menu bar to reopen the terrain file. You have to exit out and restart the TE.

I hit save after anything I add, delete, change, or move around. I even hit build then reopen the terrain file manually out of paranoia. The two task groups on my map had never been available until just now when I opened the TE.

There is no "haze" vis range setting so I will go with the Fog settings. My task groups are now happily steaming along the paths I set for them in the TE.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »
Also if your TG is created to close to land you will always get the To close to land message.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #293 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
Boy did I learn that lesson the hard way. Which schooled me to not want that GUI message.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
1. - I cannot add the points for a road, is it me or is that enabled.

2. - Is there a way to target individual trees and remove them from the terrain?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »
1. Paths are enabled in the TE, not in-game.

2. If a terrain tile, there are several Alpha posts/threads about creating new tiles and textures.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »
To get my first and last point I have tried everything I read and see from the paths tab work area. Unless there is a restriction on exactly where I can put down the endpoints for a path. I want a generic road, not a convoy road or train track. As for trees, can I zoom down onto the terrain, locate a tree (x,y,z), then remove only that tree from my now "build" terrain?

It would be nice to have a tree\bush deletion tool that works on the trees in the default painting tiles for a few places you discover a bad tree after running around offline in a GV.

I ended up deleting a field, painting only sand, putting the field back down, and being very conservative about painting terrain near it the second time around. My answer to goofing and placing trees right up to the end of a runway was sand. Didn't feel like redoing the air field object area. Unless I place down sand or rock, some trees from a previous pass stay put when I paint over the area to try and remove them. Occasionally even when I use sand or rock.

I've also found the level terrain around square objects for field, strat, and town type objects at elevations higher than laying them on the ocean, is not efficient to get rid of the blue gap all the time. It is great for lowering the terrain in those grid squares. Use it too many times and you create the blue gap because of the land outside of that square being higher angling up at the object edges. Manually setting the alt in the "y" within 1-2 feet of the highest point bordering the tile is more efficient. Even when you flatten the squares and make sure say 1000yds past the grid line the elevation is the same as inside of it, there is a 1-3 foot variation at ground level in tiny bumps all over the place. Running the mouse over the area and watching the elevation readout shows this.

I've neglected to test the smoothing tool with ".0000 ft" increments. It only shows default values in whole numbers to the left of the decimal.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »
There is no way to remove a single tree, nor can I think of any way to do so .

Are you sure the flat to object is not working? Or did you change an elevation after the flaten. And also after the build is it still showing the same?

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »
After making sure I leveled the terrain in a single square to 2000ft. I made sure for half a square around it, it was 2000ft. Then I placed the town down leaving set to terrain alt checked. I would save then run the build. When I looked at it afterward,  the blue gap was there. Each time running the level around square objects, it mostly lowered the square under the town versus leveling the plates on each side of the object border. This made it worse.

So I deleted the town object, re-leveled the ground to 2000ft. Placed the town down instead by shooting for an elevation between 1998-2000 based on the micro elevation differences the brush showed me holding it over random places. After saving and running the build, in the oba file the town shows it's at 2019ft elevation, go figure. The seams tightened up, and when I looked at the seams afterward they stayed tight. I had to do this for an HQ I set down on level sand set to 10ft when I took a very close look. Initially I set it down with terrain alt checked. Now in the oba file it shows the HQ at 267ft while the sand around it is 10ft and I put in 9ft for "y".

You can't just give us a chain saw utility....... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »
" set to terrain alt checked."
Should NOT be set on a square object. And I assume you made the town object a group master?

Also you should never have to make the terrain level. the System sets the terrain alt to the object.

HiTech