Author Topic: To contest myself or not?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline shake307

• Zinc Member
To contest myself or not?
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
I love WWII History.  I love WWII Aircraft.  I have studied many extensively.  Consider it a hobby.  Sadly, I have come to my peanut butter point.  I cannot, in good conscience, continue with AH2.  I find joining a squadron too difficult.  I am not a terrible stick, either.  I just try to not turn from a fight and wind up in the tower.  Everything is a learning experience,  right?  I get shot down a lot.  I haven't been playing 15 years.  I don't have a favorite plane, but rather a list.  Spit14, K4, Runstang, f4u-1a, nikki, and even a  205 if eny is too high (amazing plane, actually).  Others like the 38L and D9 are back burner.  I love all these aircraft and the history behind all of them.  But this game, weird as it may sound, has turned me off.  It is a close knit community.  Outsiders (like me) aren't necessarily welcome.  You all have your established squads and friends.  I just ask, the next time you see shake307 in the air, say hello and fly along.  I wouldn't hesitate to fly with anyone. 

TL: DR  AH2 sucks.  No room for growth or newbs. Yall need to b more inviting and affable.
Respect is granted, not demanded.

Let's get drunk and fly!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: To contest myself or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:48:22 PM »
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:00:36 AM »
Outsiders (like me) aren't necessarily welcome.
One thing sets Aces High apart from any other game out there.  And, this is coming from my humble experience and opinion only, as a flight sim gamer since about '96, and a rabid gamer since the 80s arcades. Yes, I'm older.  52.  Doesn't mean I'm out of touch, in fact, that's called experience ;)

Outsiders like you aren't welcome?  You don't get to make a blanket statement like that and represent it as fact.  It's not a fact, it's a feeling you have, and one that is quite frankly based on limited experience.  It's also your problem to solve, not ours.  There are two distinct types of games.  One is a group hug, global embrace of the masses where the game is pure eye candy with a large community of back slapping and support, and you can face the opposite direction of the enemy and still score a kill because you were at least trying and that's what matters (world of warcraft, arguably the largest community and game out there), and then there is the purist who demands precision, effort, and a back bone, far more rare, specialized and demanding.

AH is not for the timid.  It is not for the social experience to gain self worth through score.  This is a game of die hard enthusiasts. We build scenarios that require countless hours of planning, strategy, debates, arguments and pushing ones will and drive to the limit.  We require, demand, insist on, and expect the best, the hardest, the struggle, and more often than not judge a person not on their hopes and dreams, but on their accomplishments. We pride ourselves on cheering the one who entered an UN-winable fight and died over one who secured a victory when it was clear he should have.  You don't get invited into a group of Type A personalities.  You barge in.  You take.  You create. You demand and you back those demands up with accomplishments.  If you expect to be embraced with open arms and then be handed the successes, results and rewards of players who have invested countless hours, you are going to be disappointed.  If you are here waiting for someone else to justify you or legitimize you, you are going to be disappointed.  You are surrounded by the greats.  You are at the mercy of the skilled.  You are in the presence of the talented and you are not going to be coddled and invited into that group.  When you reach the top, you reach it by scraping, clawing, and fighting your way there.  This is vital, it's important, because when you get there, it is something you actually earned. You don't need to be validated by the masses, you don't need to be embraced by the group, you earned your spot and reputation on your own and you KNOW it, and that's all you need. 
It's harsh. It's cruel.  It's empowering and enabling.  You are surrounded by greatness.  You are expected to be great.  The top create their positions, they are not invited to it.  This game is the single best example of what it takes to be the best.  You don't see this game catering to the World of Warcraft crowd. You don't see this game cater to volume over talent.  There is a reason "some" people come here while "most" don't.  It's not our role to invite you in.  It's your role to assume your position.  Leadership and greatness require a confidence in self.  We don't give you that.  We can't.  It's just a game.  But this is the single best example of something mankind has learned ages ago, how you play is the purest reflection of who you are.

No room for growth or newbs. Yall need to b more inviting and affable.
There is plenty of room for growth. This is not a social experiment where we have to evenly divide the pie.  You want in, barge in, we embrace the motivated and aggressive, and reward the successful.  We have invited you in. We don't need to change.  You need to step it up, trust me, it's worth it. We will stop you, we will fight you, we will berate, slander and embarrass you.  If you allow us to dominate your view of yourself, you don't belong here. If you can handle that, you can handle anything. This Is Not Candy Crush! Don't be turned off by the attitudes in the game, learn it.  Embrace it.  Consider this, the Ford Taurus is a very popular car, the Ferrari Anything is a very Special car.  Anyone can drive a Taurus, can you handle a Ferrari?  You're sitting in it.  Anyone can start it, but are you willing to learn how to drive it?  It takes time, and a completely, radically different frame of mind to understand why it's different.  You have to first understand, and admit, that you know what you know, but don't know what you don't know.  When you figure that out, and realize you have to play this game against your own goals, own objectives, and your own measurement, then you will best fit into a squad if that's what you ultimately want to do.  You have to understand this, you are not playing this game against us, you are playing this game against you, and there is no other game out there that will challenge you as hard, or reward you as much, as Aces High. 

As an aside, I've been doing this since the mid 90s.  I build scenarios. I've been on the top of the score boards. I've considered the score boards irrelevant.  I've been the CO of a squad. I've  been in a squad. I'm currently in no squad.  The game isn't about what I'm a part of, but what I do.  It's also, equally, about what you do.  Not one time, in all my years, have I based a decision on what others did for me, or with me.  Look what has been done with that frame of mind.  Try it, you'd be amazed at the rewards that come not only in the game, but as a lifestyle.

Quit this?  Think about it, do you really want to say you can't do this?  This is THE measure, there is nothing else out there that will test you, and hold you accountable to your own decisions, like this one. 

Anyone can say it's just a game.  But like I've said before, how you play is the truest measure of who you are.  So turn your back on what you expect, disregard what you think, and get in there and be the person you want to be.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:36:58 AM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 12:06:34 AM »
I love WWII History.  I love WWII Aircraft.  I have studied many extensively.  Consider it a hobby.  Sadly, I have come to my peanut butter point.  I cannot, in good conscience, continue with AH2.  I find joining a squadron too difficult.  I am not a terrible stick, either.  I just try to not turn from a fight and wind up in the tower.  Everything is a learning experience,  right?  I get shot down a lot.  I haven't been playing 15 years.  I don't have a favorite plane, but rather a list.  Spit14, K4, Runstang, f4u-1a, nikki, and even a  205 if eny is too high (amazing plane, actually).  Others like the 38L and D9 are back burner.  I love all these aircraft and the history behind all of them.  But this game, weird as it may sound, has turned me off.  It is a close knit community.  Outsiders (like me) aren't necessarily welcome.  You all have your established squads and friends.  I just ask, the next time you see shake307 in the air, say hello and fly along.  I wouldn't hesitate to fly with anyone. 

TL: DR  AH2 sucks.  No room for growth or newbs. Yall need to b more inviting and affable.

I've been getting shot down in AH and Airwarrior before it for almost 20 years.  Haven't died yet!  If you are a WW2 aviation junkie, you've come to the right place. 

Might be good to tell us your in game ID too so if someone sees you they can give a yell and maybe wing up with you.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline TJsweet

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 12:25:25 AM »
One thing sets Aces High apart from any other game out there.  And, this is coming from my humble experience and opinion only, as a flight sim gamer since about '96, and a rabid gamer since the 80s arcades. Yes, I'm older.  52.  Doesn't mean I'm out of touch, in fact, that's called experience ;)

Outsiders like you aren't welcome?  You don't get to make a blanket statement like that and represent it as fact.  It's not a fact, it's a feeling you have, and one that is quite frankly based on limited experience.  It's also your problem to solve, not ours.  There are two distinct types of games.  One is a group hug, global embrace of the masses where the game is pure eye candy with a large community of back slapping and support, and you can face the opposite direction of the enemy and still score a kill because you were at least trying and that's what matters (world of warcraft, arguably the largest community and game out there), and then there is the purist who demands precision, effort, and a back bone, far more rare, specialized and demanding.

AH is not for the timid.  It is not for the social experience to gain self worth through score.  This is a game of die hard enthusiasts. We build scenarios that require countless hours of planning, strategy, debates, arguments and pushing ones will and drive to the limit.  We require, demand, insist on, and expect the best, the hardest, the struggle, and more often than not judge a person not on their hopes and dreams, but on their accomplishments. We pride ourselves on cheering the one who entered an UN-winable fight and died over one who secured a victory when it was clear he should have.  You don't get invited into a group of Type A personalities.  You barge in.  You take.  You create. You demand and you back those demands up with accomplishments.  If you expect to be embraced with open arms and then be handed the successes, results and rewards of players who have invested countless hours, you are going to be disappointment.  If you are here waiting for someone else to justify you or legitimize you, you are going to be disappointed.  You are surrounded by the greats.  You are at the mercy of the skilled.  You are in the presence of the talented and you are not going to be coddled and invited into that group.  When you reach the top, you reach it by scraping, clawing, and fighting your way there.  This is vital, it's important, because when you get there, it is something you actually earned. You don't need to be validated by the masses, you don't need to be embraced by the group, you earned your spot and reputation on your own and you KNOW it, and that's all you need. 
It's harsh. It's cruel.  It's empowering and enabling.  You are surrounded by greatness.  You are expected to be great.  The top create their positions, they are not invited to it.  This game is the single best example of what it takes to be the best.  You don't see this game catering to the World of Warcraft crowd. You don't see this game cater to volume over talent.  There is a reason "some" people come here while "most" don't.  It's not our role to invite you in.  It's your role to assume your position.  Leadership and greatness require a confidence in self.  We don't give you that.  We can't.  It's just a game.  But this is the single best example of something mankind has learned ages ago, how you play is the purest reflection of who you are.
 There is plenty of room for growth. This is not a social experiment where we have to evenly divide the pie.  You want in, barge in, we embrace the motivated and aggressive, and reward the successful.  We have invited you in. We don't need to change.  You need to step it up, trust me, it's worth it. We will stop you, we will fight you, we will berate, slander and embarrass you.  If you allow us to dominate your view of yourself, you don't belong here. If you can handle that, you can handle anything. This Is Not Candy Crush! Don't be turned off by the attitudes in the game, learn it.  Embrace it.  Consider this, the Ford Taurus is a very popular car, the Ferrari Anything is a very Special car.  Anyone can drive a Taurus, can you handle a Ferrari?  You're sitting in it.  Anyone can start it, but are you willing to learn how to drive it?  It takes time, and a completely, radically different frame of mind to understand why it's different.  You have to first understand, and admit, that you know what you know, but don't know what you don't know.  When you figure that out, and realize you have to play this game against your own goals, own objectives, and your own measurement, then you will best fit into a squad if that's what you ultimately want to do.  You have to understand this, you are not playing this game against us, you are playing this game against you, and there is no other game out there that will challenge you as hard, or reward you as much, as Aces High. 

As an aside, I've been doing this since the mid 90s.  I build scenarios. I've been on the top of the score boards. I've considered the score boards irrelevant.  I've been the CO of a squad. I've  been in a squad. I'm currently in no squad.  The game isn't about what I'm a part of, but what I do.  It's also, equally, about what you do.  Not one time, in all my years, have I based a decision on what others did for me, or with me.  Look what has been done with that frame of mind.  Try it, you'd be amazed at the rewards that come not only in the game, but as a lifestyle.

Quit this?  Think about it, do you really want to say you can't do this?  This is THE measure, there is nothing else out there that will test you, and hold you accountable to your own decisions, like this one. 

Anyone can say it's just a game.  But like I've said before, how you play is the truest measure of who you are.  So turn your back on what you expect, disregard what you think, and get in there and be the person you want to be.
I think this is the single greatest post I have seen on these forums. Hats of to you sir. :rock
WashOut
FSO--JG54

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 12:45:08 AM »
I think this is the single greatest post I have seen on these forums. Hats of to you sir. :rock

if not..... pretty damn close.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:48:42 AM »
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
MAR you SOB lol I did a WOT and you did
Work hard, PLAY HARDER! :rock
and said the same thing!!! :)
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 01:17:56 AM »
MAR you SOB lol I did a WOT and you did  and said the same thing!!! :)

You did a what with the who at the where now? :O

Oh don't mind me, I'm not up to speed on my intardweeb acronyms.

WOT: wall of text :bhead
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:21:52 AM by Mar »
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 01:18:49 AM »
You did a what with the who at the where now? :O

And was it consenting? :bolt:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 01:57:31 AM »

shake, the point of this game for most of us who last is not to be the best, but to have fun.  everybody here will tell you i have zero skill and have no intention of getting any of it.  what I excel at is making this game fun for me.  join a squad or make a couple of friends.  you can do this by telling people on 200 about your favorite sheep.  how pretty and fluffy she is.  that always is an ice breaker.  just remember never touch anybody else's sheep.  except bbaw's, he doesnt mind :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 03:03:03 AM »

AH is not for the timid.  It is not for the social experience to gain self worth through score.  This is a game of die hard enthusiasts. We build scenarios that require countless hours of planning, strategy, debates, arguments and pushing ones will and drive to the limit.  We require, demand, insist on, and expect the best, the hardest, the struggle, and more often than not judge a person not on their hopes and dreams, but on their accomplishments. We pride ourselves on cheering the one who entered an UN-winable fight and died over one who secured a victory when it was clear he should have.  You don't get invited into a group of Type A personalities.  You barge in.  You take.  You create. You demand and you back those demands up with accomplishments.  If you expect to be embraced with open arms and then be handed the successes, results and rewards of players who have invested countless hours, you are going to be disappointed.  If you are here waiting for someone else to justify you or legitimize you, you are going to be disappointed.  You are surrounded by the greats.  You are at the mercy of the skilled.  You are in the presence of the talented and you are not going to be coddled and invited into that group.  When you reach the top, you reach it by scraping, clawing, and fighting your way there.  This is vital, it's important, because when you get there, it is something you actually earned. You don't need to be validated by the masses, you don't need to be embraced by the group, you earned your spot and reputation on your own and you KNOW it, and that's all you need. 

<<<<this
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 03:49:58 AM »
 have to agree with ROC.  this game is what you make it to be. 1 thing it is not is a chat room of buddies. we all have our bad days, some like me more then most . im guessing you had a bad day. i have had people rip me on vox ,sure i was not happy but oh well. if you looking for a social game  play on facebook, a social website.
   There are a lot of players on here that put in a lot of time and effort .Take just the training area. they dont get paid to do this . Or the people who put on the scenarios, these people dedicate their time for everyone including you. We have air races. this game is more then just MA fighting rooks bishops and knights.
 let me give you 1 bit of advice. when they tell you its a learning curve,  laugh  its more like a wall with a hole at the base you can fall down into. now its time for you to climb back up.

P.S. ROC   says he older at 52  well I am 58 today  and next week 59, may have to change my name to MAGIC59  :old:
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 06:36:44 AM »
hmmm, what time(s) are you playing mostly? When I joined not all that long ago, ~2.5yrs I thought a lot of ppl were actually very welcoming. I was offered spots in squads and I wasn't even decent at flying as I quickly learned. I did a couple of months Bish, then a couple Rook and then Knights. Maybe hop around a bit. If you're a GV'r there are plenty of Knights that are pretty dedicated and a fun group.

You must have a sense of humor to communicate with most ppl in this game, the all business base take or high water folks seem to come and go more quickly imo.

Ask to fly FSO on Friday nights 3 weeks a month, many squads there are willing to let you hop right in with them and treat you like family. JG 54 is one of them.

Good luck. If you've got the flying and dying part down, then maybe find the plane you like the most, ask around who are some of the best in it and see if they'll give you some help.

Make an appointment with the trainers in the TA via this forum Help/Training and see the wonders it will do for you.

Good luck

:salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?