Author Topic: Question - NVIDEA Graphics Cards  (Read 1292 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Question - NVIDEA Graphics Cards
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:45:43 AM »
Had a great night at Hold'em cash game yesterday and walked away with $571.

I want to purchase a new NVIDEA card AFN leaning toward a 980.  Is there a lot of difference between the models (EVGA, MSI, etc?).  I'll be replacing a 770.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Question - NVIDEA Graphics Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 04:14:25 AM »
The biggest differences are in cooling solutions and some are factory overclocked.

Check reviews to see which card has the combination of speed and quiet.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »
While the Nvidia cards produce less heat than the R9 Radeons, whatever card you get, look for GOOD aftermarket cooling, for instance I have the ASUS GTX970STRIX DirectCu OC card. The extra cooling pays off in overclocking potential if it's what you want, or just prolongs the life of the card if you don't OC. There are several good Factory OCed cards, with great warranties.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
EVGA is popular due to their warranty and RMA.  I don't know if you've followed the memory allocation/970 card stuff going on in the media, but eVGA took my 2 970 cards back after nearly 5 months, and gave me full credit +tax/shipping for them, and even added $ to that since the exchange rate and other factors have caused nVidia card prices to spike 20% here since I bought my 2 970 and single 980. 

Gigabyte has a loyal following as well, their 970 card is easily the best IMO, but I'm not sure how their 980 compares.

The only thing I would say is that if AH is your primary focus, avoid SLI, it isn't worth it, at all.  I'm seeing better performance, quite a lot, from a single eVGA Superclock 980 (the 2nd card I turn off for AH) than 970 SLI.  As good as the 970 card is, if you plan on any 4k or really high resolution gaming in the future, or even if you're concerned about future resale value, due to all the wanking about the memory issue with the 970 (problems I had to actually go and try and recreate, as I hadn't seen them myself), I would buy the 980 for the extra $ right now instead.

The other option is to wait a bit, some new cards from both companies are in the pipeline and due out fairly soon, the 970/980 current cards are all 6 months old already.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
likr MrRipley said, its about cooling, and also some about power.

I like MSI twin frozr series for both nvidia and amd cards.

980 will probably be a bit overkill for AH3, but other game-titles can be played maxed out.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:22:49 PM »
Thanks Gman/save

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
Ahha, I hadn't seen that yet.  The whole thing has been way overblown, like I said, I hadn't even heard of it until reading about it here, and I read a lot of other gaming chans/forums, which is odd.  I had to actually go try and recreate the problem, I hadn't seen any issues with my 970s, either in sli or just running a single card.  I waited until day 15 of my RMA (the last day) to even replace them, as it seemed like a bit of a PITA to even bother with.  The only reason I went ahead was that all the complaining about it has driven the resale speed and price down.  That and due to the exchange rate and cost of the cards going way up since I bought them, and nVidia covering the replacement, not original price, I said wth.

The lawsuit that's been launched against nVidia is a bit overboard as well.  If they are guilty, where are the lawsuits vs piles of games that have been sold as pre-orders that don't live up to their own statements when released, right?  On the other hand maybe some punishment will keep companies more accurate in describing their products pre release.  I'm certainly not switching back to AMD over it, not until they make something that's either cheaper and equal or better at the same cost.

Most gamers I know in the games I play don't even have or need a 1440p or 4k monitor anyway, which is where the problems start with 970 usually.  Having bought one of each from the same place I bought my video cards, they took my 970 cards back no questions asked, but still, even with these monitors, the 2 best gaming Gsync out there (for now) IMO, I still never noticed any performance drops that made me go searching google for this issue.  Like I said, I only heard it here first, and I think single 970 users in those few games that caused issues saw them more easily, as those "bigger" games have decent SLI profiles, and probably that caused some kind of difference in the fps on screen to be not as noticeably bad. 

I still wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone the 970 was and is a good card for the $, especially if gaming in 1080p, and if there is no plan on reselling it in a year when the next big thing comes along.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:37:24 PM by Gman »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:11:41 AM »
Nvidia may actually win the lawsuit if they claim the 970 only uses 3.5Gb. It in fact has 4Gb of ram, the last memory block only shares the cache and controller with the last block of the 3.5Gb. That makes accessing it much slower but still faster than if it was system ram.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 03:33:41 AM »
I bought an EVGA 980 SC.  I wanted a card that could push 1440P with all the sliders maxed for AH3. I hope it does that :pray

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Ditto Ammo.  I have 2 980s, but because of nVidia not creating a decent SLI profile for HTC, having a 2nd 980 currently isn't going to mean much I would bet, so I'm with you, and hoping, and confident, that the new game will be a great leap ahead, yet still be able to be maxed out with current tech, of course, not counting the environmental reflection slider, that even the current game can pwn the best system with on max when in busy areas. 

I've always actually liked that about AH, that it has through the means of its creators the potential to pretty much beat on a very fast enthusiast gaming rig and monitor when absolutely maxed with the reflection slider maxed.  Try it with your 980 Ammo, put reflections on max and fly into 20 planes and 30 tanks over tank town.  I bet you get the same result I do.  And I like it. 

Can't wait to punish my new x99 system I'm currently putting together when it comes out (I got a slightly used 5960x CPU for 450$ Canadian, which is 360$USD now due to the stupid exchange rate, a complete steal, so why not). 

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:01:54 PM »
You will be fine ammo. I have dual SLI 980s running three monitors turned to portrait mode at 3420x1920 and the view is fine. I do not foresee any issues with AHIII, either.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »
Hey fellas.  Got the new card in today and have a question.

Since the new card uses the same driver as the old 770, I should be able to simply power down and install the new card, right?  I have the latest WQHD driver and GeForce experience.  Let me know please.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »
I would recommend you uninstall the driver before swapping cards.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
It's always best to uninstall existing drivers when changing a card. During the installation the brand, model and even some unique identification code gets written to the Registry. So it's quite important to have that information correct in order the card to work at its maximum potential. Generic drivers are only for showing an image on the screen to enable installing the dedicated drivers.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni