Author Topic: TM Warthog stick drift solution?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
TM Warthog stick drift solution?
« on: March 07, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
My stick is drifting in the aileron axis and fine otherwise.  I've tried a complete stick calibration and individual axis calibration with no improvement.  The stick is working perfectly otherwise.  Does anyone else have experience with this issue?  Is there a fix other than buying a new stick?  Thanks!  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: TM Warthog stick drift solution?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »
have you tried increasing the dead band abit

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »
Puma there is a plastic washer on top of the ball joint that develops uneven wear. Thrustmaster sells a replacement if you are out of warranty. You might also make a replacement. You can get more info at the Warthog World website.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Puma there is a plastic washer on top of the ball joint that develops uneven wear. Thrustmaster sells a replacement if you are out of warranty. You might also make a replacement. You can get more info at the Warthog World website.

Thanks FLS, I'll look into it.

Not recently, but will take a look at that also.

Thanks guys for the ideas!   :salute

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fox-photography.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:59:25 AM »
You can get more info at the Warthog World website.

It looks like that site has been pulled - the domain is up for sale :(

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:36:17 AM »
Puma have you tried disassembling it?  It's fairly easy to do.  Once you do, try some plastic part friendly grease on the ball and spring and some of the other lower internal moving plastic parts.  That fixed the same problem up for me with mine.  That said, getting a replacement ring/washer may be required, I've read guys who have posted that within less than 100 hours of use it's worn to the point that it's causing huge problems.

I bought a replacement ring from a dude on Warthog World who charged me 8$ for a PTFE teflon tough bellybutton ring accurately cut with a C02 laser system he has access to.  That included shipping.  It's usually a part, that oring from TM, that gives a lot of headaches and causes most internal problems IMO.  That couple with good grease, and I've never had an issue since. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:41:04 AM by Gman »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:41:52 AM »
It looks like that site has been pulled - the domain is up for sale :(

That sux. DCS and SimHQ are probably the best sites then. DCS forum   SimHQ forum

The washer dimensions are  OD=64mm, ID=54mm and 1.5 - 3 mm thick AFAIK. 

Thrustmaster builds tough metal high end sticks, they're only weak where it counts.
Use lube and be gentle.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:54:11 AM by FLS »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:18:32 AM »
Puma have you tried disassembling it?  It's fairly easy to do.  Once you do, try some plastic part friendly grease on the ball and spring and some of the other lower internal moving plastic parts.  That fixed the same problem up for me with mine.  That said, getting a replacement ring/washer may be required, I've read guys who have posted that within less than 100 hours of use it's worn to the point that it's causing huge problems.

I bought a replacement ring from a dude on Warthog World who charged me 8$ for a PTFE teflon tough bellybutton ring accurately cut with a C02 laser system he has access to.  That included shipping.  It's usually a part, that oring from TM, that gives a lot of headaches and causes most internal problems IMO.  That couple with good grease, and I've never had an issue since. 

No, not yet Gman.  But, since I've had great use from it for about five years now and it's long out of warranty, I'll give some exploratory surgery a try.  Thanks for the input!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
IMO if you've had it for that long, and had no trouble, you got one built by one of the good techs there, definitely not on a Friday.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:02 PM »

I did this and it appears to have solved the problem.  Thanks Fugitive!   :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »
I did this and it appears to have solved the problem.  Thanks Fugitive!   :aok

NP, remember it maybe only a temporary fix. Once the stick starts drifting like that its time for a rebuild, or replacement. The dead band will only last a certain amount of time as it gets worst, you'll need more.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »
Yeah, I figure exploratory surgery will be next.  Nice to have a simple fix though.   :D

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:15 AM »
Use lube and be gentle.

Who cares if it is out of context, THAT is a statement you cannot argue with!!!!   :x